RV.Net Open Roads Forum: How long can a dog last/live on chicken and rice?

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

 > How long can a dog last/live on chicken and rice?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
AZPops

Wherever the Job takes us...

Senior Member

Joined: 07/13/2006

View Profile



Posted: 06/08/12 03:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks,

Pops

Pawz4me

North Carolina

Senior Member

Joined: 06/05/2007

View Profile



Posted: 06/08/12 03:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For a basically healthy dog, I think it would take many months of a very limited diet to develop any nutritional deficiencies worth worrying about. If you're concerned you could probably add in some calcium and a multi-vitamin w/o risking a tummy upset.

FWIW, I have a friend who swears her brother has fed his dog chicken and rice for his main diet for the dog's whole life. And the dog is around 11 or 12 now and apparently healthy.


Me and the DH
Two boys and two dogs (and two cats who prefer to stay home)
2008 Forest River Georgetown 350DS (bunkhouse model)
2001 Honda CR-V

AZPops

Wherever the Job takes us...

Senior Member

Joined: 07/13/2006

View Profile



Posted: 06/08/12 03:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pawz4me wrote:

For a basically healthy dog, I think it would take many months of a very limited diet to develop any nutritional deficiencies worth worrying about. If you're concerned you could probably add in some calcium and a multi-vitamin w/o risking a tummy upset.

FWIW, I have a friend who swears her brother has fed his dog chicken and rice for his main diet for the dog's whole life. And the dog is around 11 or 12 now and apparently healthy.



Thanks, yes this is one of my main concerns in regards to if Harlee's getting what she needs. She still won't eat her regular food.

Pops

PamfromVA

Fauquier County, VA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/22/2006

View Profile



Posted: 06/08/12 04:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My husband's grandmother cooked a chicken everyday for her dog. He also ate at the table with a full place setting. The first time we stopped by their house I know my mouth was hanging open the entire time. It didn't take me long to realize that "Charlie" was now their child. He lived to be 15 years old and was really a great dog.


2011 Open Range Roamer 266RLS
2007 Toyota Tundra double cab 5.7-liter V8
One DH
two very spoiled camping dogs


rockhillmanor

On the Road

Senior Member

Joined: 12/06/2003

View Profile



Posted: 06/08/12 04:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AZPops wrote:

Pawz4me wrote:

For a basically healthy dog, I think it would take many months of a very limited diet to develop any nutritional deficiencies worth worrying about. If you're concerned you could probably add in some calcium and a multi-vitamin w/o risking a tummy upset.

FWIW, I have a friend who swears her brother has fed his dog chicken and rice for his main diet for the dog's whole life. And the dog is around 11 or 12 now and apparently healthy.



Thanks, yes this is one of my main concerns in regards to if Harlee's getting what she needs. She still won't eat her regular food.

Pops

Add a boiled egg to her regular food. I've had them be on death's door from not eating and they just can't resist it when you add an egg. An egg contains just about everything one needs to sustain life too with the most easiest digestible protein.


"We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us".


SWD

Land of Living Skies

Senior Member

Joined: 06/07/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/08/12 05:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PamfromVA wrote:

My husband's grandmother cooked a chicken everyday for her dog. He also ate at the table with a full place setting. The first time we stopped by their house I know my mouth was hanging open the entire time. It didn't take me long to realize that "Charlie" was now their child. He lived to be 15 years old and was really a great dog.


That was an extremely lucky dog. Eating cooked chicken bones can kill an animal.

nabi

Ont

Senior Member

Joined: 04/24/2010

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/08/12 05:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bella is on a pureed diet so I need to be very careful about her nutritional needs....I add dried kelp/ bluberries along with Biovites powder which is a full dietary supplement...she gets cottage cheese in her puree for calcium....could you add some sweet potato to the chicken and rice...it is easily digested, a good source of vitamins and fiber .... you might be successful with giving vitamin pills...they have lots of good ones available for dogs...

Turbo Diesel Dude

Ocala,Fl

Senior Member

Joined: 01/10/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 06/08/12 06:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My buddy cooked chicken breasts, rice and green peas plus an occasional vitamin for his Dalmation who managed to go to 16 1/2 years. Finally got incontinent and hips went. He had to have her put down.


charles weidman

Pawz4me

North Carolina

Senior Member

Joined: 06/05/2007

View Profile



Posted: 06/08/12 06:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

nabi wrote:

she gets cottage cheese in her puree for calcium


Cottage cheese isn't a very good source of calcium. The point of giving a dog calcium is to balance the phosphorus in other commonly fed foods. Cottage cheese has WAY more phosphorus than calcium, so it's actually detrimental. Calcium supplements, Tums or dried ground eggshells are better IMO.

dbbls

Missouri

Senior Member

Joined: 09/29/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 06/08/12 07:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

About 3 days on just chicken and rice. Longer if you give him some water too.


2011 F-350 CC Lariat 4X4 Dually Diesel
2012 Big Country 3450TS 5th Wheel

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

 > How long can a dog last/live on chicken and rice?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS