Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Lance 6 pin

Posted By: ridinpreacher on 06/10/12 05:07pm

Is there a plug adaptor to go from Lance 6 pin/way male cord end to the 7 pin/way female on the truck. Or is there a site to get a wire diagram to splice a Lance compatible 6 way female to the truck's wiring harness?

Posted By: Desert1667 on 06/10/12 09:00pm

Here is a Link to the lance wiring,

www.lancecamper.com/docs/trailer-owners-manual.pdf

Desert

Posted By: Reddog1 on 06/11/12 08:55am

I preferred to change the 6-pin on my TC to the seven pin. I originally used an adapter, but constantly had to hunt for it when I loaded my TC.

You can buy an adapter from most Auto parts stores, Walmart or RV parts stores. If your TC is wired correctly, should plug right in. "Plug-n-Play"

Wayne

Posted By: mkirsch on 06/11/12 10:29am

Be glad you can get the wiring diagram. I had to figure out the wiring the hard way on the Palomino.

2002 Chevy 3500 DRW/8.1/Allison & 2000 Palomino B1500 popup TC

-Yes, I haul a popup with a dually. No, I don't think I need a dually to haul a popup.

Posted By: c.traveler2 on 06/11/12 10:52am

I got rid of the Lance plug years ago,replacing it with a bargman plug.

Lance PDF

2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/LB/camper pkg..Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports

Posted By: ridinpreacher on 06/11/12 11:05am

Reddog1: is it a simple change from the 6-in lance to the 7pin?

Posted By: aroy924 on 02/09/13 11:34am

The reason you "shouldn't " change from the factory plug is that the standard 7 way plug can only accept 10 gauge wiring. The 12 volt side of your refrigerator in your camper requires 8 gauge wire. If you cut the wire and convert to a 7 way, the wire between the camper and your battery ( 10-12 ga) will become a fuse. If you go to your nearest Lance dealer, they can sell you the correct truck-side adapter.
If you never use the 12 Volt option on your refer, you won't need the bigger wire.
If you still plan on modifying your electrical plug, make sure you have the 8 gauge power and ground wires.

hope this answers some questions

Posted By: ridinpreacher on 06/11/12 01:52pm

I have found a 7 pin to 6 pin adapter at AgSouth for 8.99. Is this what I need for plugging a Lance camper into a 7 way?

And I have found a RV Camper trailer plug Y adpater on ebay. It plugs into 7 way outlet at the rear of truck; has a 12" long cord with 7 way to plug into trailer; has a 5 ft long cord with 7 way to go up in truck bed to plug in truck camper. Would this work with the 7 pin to 6 pin adapter and is 5 ft long enough to reach the cord that comes with the Lance camper?

This seems like a reasonable way to go. Total cost would be less than $60 and would seemingly require no splicing into wiring or drilling into truck bed.

Here is the link to this adapter http://www.ebay.com/itm/RV-Camper-Trailer-plug-Y-Adapter-5-cord-1MA-2FM-7?item=350324812632&cmd=ViewItem&_trks

Posted By: Reddog1 on 06/11/12 02:25pm

ridinpreacher wrote:

Reddog1: is it a simple change from the 6-in lance to the 7pin?
I do not have a Lance, so I am hesitant to say yes. If Lance used the industry standard, it should be pretty straight forward. But to be fair, want is simple for some, is difficult for others. Most of the connectors I have seen, have their wiring instructions in the packaging.

Wayne

Posted By: Reddog1 on 06/11/12 02:32pm

ridinpreacher wrote:

I have found a 7 pin to 6 pin adapter at AgSouth for 8.99. Is this what I need for plugging a Lance camper into a 7 way?

That appears to be right. As I previously stated, if Lance is wired to the industry standard, it should simply just be a "Plug-n-Play".

ridinpreacher wrote:

And I have found a RV Camper trailer plug Y adpater on ebay. It plugs into 7 way outlet at the rear of truck; has a 12" long cord with 7 way to plug into trailer; has a 5 ft long cord with 7 way to go up in truck bed to plug in truck camper. Would this work with the 7 pin to 6 pin adapter and is 5 ft long enough to reach the cord that comes with the Lance camper?
This is pretty much what I made up. At about $50 (including shipping), it is about what the parts cost for mine, and is a cleaner setup.

ridinpreacher wrote:

This seems like a reasonable way to go. Total cost would be less than $60 and would seemingly require no splicing into wiring or drilling into truck bed.

I agree.

ridinpreacher wrote:

Here is the link to this adapter http://www.ebay.com/itm/RV-Camper-Trailer-plug-Y-Adapter-5-cord-1MA-2FM-7?item=350324812632&cmd=ViewItem&_trks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RV-Camper-Traile........M-7?item=350324812632&cmd=ViewItem&_trks

Wayne

Posted By: barko1 on 06/11/12 03:25pm

Reddog1 wrote:

ridinpreacher wrote:

That appears to be right. As I previously stated, if Lance is wired to the industry standard, it should simply just be a "Plug-n-Play".

Wayne

Unfortunatley Lance seems to use their own plug that doesn't match up. I have to go pick up a Lance and this is making life harder. I found this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/270648510611?ssPageName=STRKEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1952.l2649

Posted By: KD4UPL on 06/11/12 03:31pm

A Lance 6 pin is like NOTHING else. It is not an industry standard 6 pin trailer plug. Adapters at auto parts places will not work. I don't know of any ready made adapter. You could cut off the Lance plug and install a 7 pin. It's not that hard. Lance uses there own plug and cable because they include extra heavy wiring and connectors for the + and - to help charge the battery better.

Posted By: ridinpreacher on 06/11/12 05:01pm

KD4UPL thanks for your clarification.

As for "you can cut off the Lance (6 pin plug) and install a 7 pin. It is not that hard."

Can you send the "procedure" or "color code" so that I would know "where to connect" each Lance wire to which pole on the 7 pin?

Or, is it straight forward from diagram available on Lance site by chance?

Posted By: wnjj on 06/11/12 05:29pm

ridinpreacher wrote:

KD4UPL thanks for your clarification.

As for "you can cut off the Lance (6 pin plug) and install a 7 pin. It is not that hard."

Can you send the "procedure" or "color code" so that I would know "where to connect" each Lance wire to which pole on the 7 pin?

Or, is it straight forward from diagram available on Lance site by chance?

Found this 2009 Lance brochure using Google. http://www.lancecamper.com/docs/09-owner-manual.pdf

Look on page 17.

I doubt it's changed over the years.

Posted By: joe b. on 02/09/13 12:07pm

My Chevy came with the optional camper wiring installed and tied off under the cab. I bought the Lance 6 pin harness from a Lance dealer and installed it in the truck bed up near the front. I prefer to run #6 or larger wire for the + and - wires, run directly from the alternators/batteries. The truck also has the standard bumper 7 pin which I use when pulling our 5th wheel or adapt it to a flat 4, when dragging my boat. The 7 pin factory wiring is too small IMHO to charge the battery as quickly as I want it to do so. With the 5th wheel, it is strictly a campground queen and is plugged into shore power every night, so battery recharging is not an issue.

The TC is what we take on our long trips which involve mostly camping off the gird, so battery recharging while we drive is important to us.

joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2011 Chevy 3500 DRW Dmax CC 4X4- Rockwood 8281 SS 5th Whl & 2008 Lance 845 TC
www.pajbcooper.com web site
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".

Print  |  Close