|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Water heater refill

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Duckaholic1

Central Valley

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/12 05:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another Newbe question!! Today I drained & flushed the water heater, sanitized water tank, cleaned the sediment on refrig. And ather "stuff"!! My question is...how does the water heater refill? Also, when refilling the fresh water tank, how long should the pump run untill pressure builds enough to shut itself off??? I'll stop there for now, considering my one question is quickly turning into many!!!! thanks much to all of you out there in RV land!!! So much to learn!!!!

sch911

Rochester Hills, MI

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/12 05:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have city water hooked up use it, if not turn on the pump and it will shut off when the tank is full. If using city water you can open a hot water faucet at the longest run, when you get a steady stream it's full. Yes it's that easy....

OEM Auto Engineer
2003 Damon Challenger 348 Class A - F53 Triton V10
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 V8 Toad

Jim Cindy

Northcentral, PA

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/12 05:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are filling the water heater back up using the water pump and tank, it will take a few minutes. Open a hot water faucet. We usually hang a dish towel over the faucet until the air stops spitting out.
Good water flow, the hot water tank is full.

PBH Portable Beach House

2008 GMC 2500HD Duramax Allison
2009 Cameo 34CK3
MorRyde IS, Disc Brakes, G614's
PullRite Super Glide Hitch
Propane fueled Yamaha EF 2400is

Normk

Canada's Wet Coast

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/12 05:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another option is to open the relief valve on the hot water tank. This will vent most of the air without causing the spray from a water tap. The tank will hold several gallons (ours holds 7) so, as said, it will take a while for the water pump to fill the hot water tank. Filling from domestic water, if handy, saves a bit of pump wear & tear. Venting also saves running some water into the grey water tank if that is a consideration.

Good idea to get someone smarter than me to fill the water system for the first trip of the season as I forgot to switch the tank by-pass valves so didn't fill the hot water tank. This cost us 7 gallons from the fresh water tank on a dry camping long weekend with four people.....sight.....

If had been thinking, would have vented the tank and seen that no water was exiting....senior moment?

Duckaholic1

Central Valley

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/12 07:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks so much for your answers so far!! They triggered this question... I'm I understanding that hooking to city water will fill the fw tank as well as the water heater? Rather than filling the fw tank through the tank fill spout?? ( Hope I worded the quest. Correctly!!)

korbe

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/12 07:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My fw tank and city water are 2 separate systems until they merge down stream from the water pump.

2004 F250 SD PSD
2004 Crossroads Cruiser CF25RS

Janss

Sedona, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/12 09:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My motorhome (though a Class A) has a switch by the city water inlet to change between city water and fresh water tank fill. I also have a dedicated fresh water tank fill spout.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/12 11:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Duckaholic1 wrote:

Thanks so much for your answers so far!! They triggered this question... I'm I understanding that hooking to city water will fill the fw tank as well as the water heater? Rather than filling the fw tank through the tank fill spout?? ( Hope I worded the quest. Correctly!!)

If you have a 'tank fill spout' (gravity fill) on side of trailer then NO. When hooked up to city water the water heater will fill but your fresh water tank will NOT. (Some RVs have water panel/valving where when hooked up to city water the fresh water tank can be filled)

Depending on available pressure city water can fill water heater faster then the on-board pump. Either way works just fine......just don't turn on 'electric' before water heater is full. Few seconds of 'dry' operation will burn out the element.

2007 RAM 3500 QC LB SRW 5.9L CTD 48re 4:10 4K in bed 'quiet genny'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
Hit the Road Debt Free & Clear April '07
Came off the road still Debt Free & Clear Jan. '14

Handbasket

Asheville, NC

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/12 06:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And when draining the WH tank by removing the plug or anode rod, remember to turn off the pump/city water, and open a hot water faucet to relieve the residual pressure in the tank. Otherwise you may get bopped by a flying anode rod right about the height of your wedding equipment, and /or wet trousers. Yep, the voice of experience....

Jim, "Mo' coffee!"

'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

bukhrn

Lanexa, Va

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/11/12 08:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just a note: no matter how you fill it, make very sure it is full BEFORE you turn it on.Otherwise you run the risk of burning out the element,(if on electric)

2007 Forester 2941DS
2005 KIA Spectra
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund
You can have my RV, when you pry my cold dead fingers from the Steering Wheel

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Water heater refill
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts