|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Public Lands, Boondocking and ...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/12 08:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I remembered a post here, including a picture, of a boon docking site on the road past Flagg Ranch. In other words, you turn like your going into Flagg Ranch, but continue past it. The sites were on the Snake River and beautiful. Only caution was that it was frequented by bears - campers there saw fresh signs. I'll see if I can find the link.

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 SD CC DRW 6.7L Diesel Lariat, Hensley BD3 with Ford Under-Bed Adaptor
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, and Missy in spirit), Maggie, and Mica!

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/12 08:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I found the posting so here is the link. I also managed to find the general area on Google Earth.

pawatt

Brainerd MN / Mission TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/12/12 09:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Flag Ranch should have something, kind of pricy but a great location between Grand Tetons & Yellowstone.

soos

me

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/14/12 12:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

we are at Gros Ventre right now. They have added 80 electric sites- $27 a night.

Sue
soos-ontheroad.blogspot.com
Fulltiming since 2009
2012 Mobile Suites 36 TKSB4 pulled by a
2011 Ford F450
2005 Lance 1181 TC- our Vacation Home

Eurocamper

Salt Lake City, Utah

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/12 07:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Colter Bay campground almost always has sites available for drop-ins if you get there early. It's also worth checking out the Colter Bay RV Park for cancellations. We were able to drive up and get a spot there on several different occasions.

If for some reason you can't get a spot at Colter Bay head on over to Gros Ventre campground. The place is huge and I have never seen it full.

Someone mentioned the primitive campsites near Flagg Ranch. These free campsites are located along the Grassy Lake Road and many are very nice - if you can get one. Some of the sites are large enough for a 30-foot trailer and some are right on the Snake River. These sites also attract long-term campers - at least when I've tried to get one. It might be worth a drive down the road just to see if you'll get lucky.

* This post was edited 06/14/12 07:27am by Eurocamper *

2008 Fleetwood Evolution E1
2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4 Hemi
2007 Nissan Xterra 4x4
Ex 1997 Volkswagen Eurovan Camper

CloudDriver

New Jersey Shore

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/22/12 06:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

An update on my earlier post about Gros Ventre. We were there the past two nights. They did not fill, as is normal.

One of the loops there has been converted with hookups for use by Park personnel, which reduces the total number of sites available to the public. Ten sites in loop D have also been upgraded with electric only, but during busy times these are reserved for RV'ers with disabilities. This info is from the volunteers at the campground check-in.

We also spent a night at Atherton Creek campground on Slide Lake. Nice location and our site was within 20 feet of the lake. Only downside was that the las three miles of the road in was paved but filled with potholes. We were told that the road is supposed to be repaved this year.

2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/12 09:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Clouddriver - we drove over to Slide Lake but found the CG to be a steep drive in and very unlevel - hmmm, must've missed something.

Thanks for the info on the hookup sites at Gros Ventre - seemed too good to be true for the majority of us RV'ers but very nice for those with disabilities.

profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/12 10:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Clouddriver -- potholes?? Heck, most of the places we go are just rocky dirt roads -- pavement with potholes is luxurious by comparison! Remember, bad roads are not a problem -- they are simply a device to screen out folks who demand easy traveling.

2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

CloudDriver

New Jersey Shore

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/22/12 11:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RenneG - Yes, the first part of the campground road is rather steep. The two different campsites we have stayed in were level and the others look good too, although some are too small to park an RV.

profdant139 - The paved road ends at the Atherton Creek campground entrance, but the road continues for a number of miles beyond as gravel/dirt. We drove about 6 miles on the gravel/dirt section and found it to be in better condition than the paved section.

I have to agree that if they do repave the road, it may spoil the peace and solitude we found at Atherton Creek.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Public Lands, Boondocking and ...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS