RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Request review of Cyclone a/o Raptor toy haulers

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers

 > Request review of Cyclone a/o Raptor toy haulers

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
simoniz

Greensboro NC

New Member

Joined: 08/04/2010

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/12/12 06:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm currently looking at a Cyclone 3800 and a 4100. Also considering a Raptor 395 LEV. Man tough choice! Helped my dad purchase a XLR last year. He has some minor things with it too. It really amazes me that all of us except these continued issues and lack of common sense from the manufactures.

I love the Cyclone 4100 but I can not beleive what they did with the wiring for the main TV and DVD set up. Crazy. No outlets by the bed.... When you recline on the couch nobody can really walk in between you and the bar. But with that being said. I love the bed room size and bathroom. I love the big TV in the main living room.

I seem to be more comfortable in the main living area of the 3800 but the bathroom and bedroom are so tight. Lord... Please help me lol... I can only buy one and it will have to last!!!!

shagan77

Ozarks

Senior Member

Joined: 02/09/2010

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 06/12/12 09:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have the 3950 HD version, and love it. We chose it over the Raptor due to floor plan (additional half bath and full size fridge in garage). Also HD package (bowl sink in lav, upgraded graphics and we ride Harley Davidsons). Yeah, kinda cheesy but it works. We've had a few issues, mostly corrected by dealer & Heartland. We've replaced the water pump twice (warranty). Lots of little things, nuts, bolts, screws, typical maintenance. Get a manual and good tool set.

We bought at a locat dealer so we could be part of the dealer 'Family''. We'll never fall for that again. Next rv we buy we will talk to people who are using the service department and see how they are treated. Then negotiate the price. Service is where it matters. Sales forgets your name as soon as you sign on the dotted line.

Find the floor plan that works for you and go enjoy it. Set your expectations that you will do normal home maintenance and you're set........


2015 Sierra Denali 3500 Duramax\Dually
2011 Cyclone 3950 HD
2009 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic
2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S Limited (DW's)
Usually a keg of beer....

gpshemi

Lapeer, Michigan

Senior Member

Joined: 10/27/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/14/12 10:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We bought the 3612 Cyclone after looking at several toyhaulers brands. We're really happy with it.

mrxlh wrote:

Both are owned by Thor, which means that the business model is about the same.


I worried about this after the purchase, but it seems to be a non-issue so far.

mrxlh wrote:

I hear a bunch of people brag about Heartland and Forest River's customer service, I have news for you, it isn't any better than Keystone's.


I totally disagree. I had a Keystone Laredo before this Cyclone that I've posted issues with on here before. I was ultimately left holding the bag on it. I will never own another Keystone product again, nor will I recommend it to any of my friends either. My issues were just totally mismanaged by the company. My small issues with the Cyclone on the other hand, have gone flawlessly. They've been very resonable to deal with.

I'm sure the Raptors are a nice product, but I'll never own one even if it's the last toyhaulers built...


GPSHEMI

06' 3500 Dodge Ram Megacab 4x4 w/ bombed 5.9L
18K Pullrite SuperGlide w/super rails
2010 Heartland Cyclone 3612


taken

Western MA

Senior Member

Joined: 03/27/2009

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/16/12 06:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gpshemi wrote:

We bought the 3612 Cyclone after looking at several toyhaulers brands. We're really happy with it.

mrxlh wrote:

Both are owned by Thor, which means that the business model is about the same.


I worried about this after the purchase, but it seems to be a non-issue so far.

mrxlh wrote:

I hear a bunch of people brag about Heartland and Forest River's customer service, I have news for you, it isn't any better than Keystone's.


I totally disagree. I had a Keystone Laredo before this Cyclone that I've posted issues with on here before. I was ultimately left holding the bag on it. I will never own another Keystone product again, nor will I recommend it to any of my friends either. My issues were just totally mismanaged by the company. My small issues with the Cyclone on the other hand, have gone flawlessly. They've been very resonable to deal with.

I'm sure the Raptors are a nice product, but I'll never own one even if it's the last toyhaulers built...


I agree completely! MRXLH's comment about Keystone and Heartland customer service is clearly made by someone who has not had experience with both. IE: talking out their a.. I owned a 2011 Keystone High Country before my current Road Warrior. (Sister to Cyclone.) Awful fit and finish, ton's of issues, and zero ability to get in touch with anyone of substance in customer service. With my Road Warrior, I've had very few issues and I have the personal email and phone number of my regional manager who seems to be able to get anything done in an instant. Even if we are traveling somewhere! So, while Keystone and Heartland are both owned by Thor, their business models are COMPLETELY different. Thor also owns Redwood and Airstream. Would you say Airstream and Keystone are in the same league in quality or customer service? I think not. Go test drive a Cadillac then a Chevy Sonic. See if your dealership experience is the same. Same parent company. Slightly different "feel." Bottom line, in my experience, Heartland has a very well built product with great people behind it. Keystone does not...


TV - 2012 F350 SC SB 4X4 6.7
TH - 2015 FR XLR 395AMP

RCFlyer

Washougal, WA, USA

Senior Member

Joined: 10/28/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/17/12 12:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've got an '06 Raptor 3712 and have towed it about 30K. Very happy with the rig, but as marki-mark said you have to have realistic expectations - many of which I've acquired on this forum over the years. We've replaced the inverter and are now to wheel bearings, brakes, etc. but these are normal wear items. I've repaired/replaced things like drawer slide supports (plastic), bulbs, changed the coax wiring (for HD capable) and other minor problems, but the basic rig has been solid as a rock. Don't think ou can go wrong with a Raptor!


2005 F-350 SRW LB Black Harley Davdsn, 6.0 Pstroke w/auto, Excite liner, ARE "Z" cap w/Yakima rails & slide/tilt window, PIAA 1500 bu lights. B&W TO Ball hitch, Firestone bags

Wife: Stef the quilter
Dog: Chase, the Golden Retriever
3 sons, 8 grandkids


lawnspecialties

Home

Senior Member

Joined: 02/09/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 06/17/12 08:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

taken wrote:

gpshemi wrote:

We bought the 3612 Cyclone after looking at several toyhaulers brands. We're really happy with it.

mrxlh wrote:

Both are owned by Thor, which means that the business model is about the same.


I worried about this after the purchase, but it seems to be a non-issue so far.

mrxlh wrote:

I hear a bunch of people brag about Heartland and Forest River's customer service, I have news for you, it isn't any better than Keystone's.


I totally disagree. I had a Keystone Laredo before this Cyclone that I've posted issues with on here before. I was ultimately left holding the bag on it. I will never own another Keystone product again, nor will I recommend it to any of my friends either. My issues were just totally mismanaged by the company. My small issues with the Cyclone on the other hand, have gone flawlessly. They've been very resonable to deal with.

I'm sure the Raptors are a nice product, but I'll never own one even if it's the last toyhaulers built...


I agree completely! MRXLH's comment about Keystone and Heartland customer service is clearly made by someone who has not had experience with both. IE: talking out their a.. I owned a 2011 Keystone High Country before my current Road Warrior. (Sister to Cyclone.) Awful fit and finish, ton's of issues, and zero ability to get in touch with anyone of substance in customer service. With my Road Warrior, I've had very few issues and I have the personal email and phone number of my regional manager who seems to be able to get anything done in an instant. Even if we are traveling somewhere! So, while Keystone and Heartland are both owned by Thor, their business models are COMPLETELY different. Thor also owns Redwood and Airstream. Would you say Airstream and Keystone are in the same league in quality or customer service? I think not. Go test drive a Cadillac then a Chevy Sonic. See if your dealership experience is the same. Same parent company. Slightly different "feel." Bottom line, in my experience, Heartland has a very well built product with great people behind it. Keystone does not...


Keep it civil though folks. This is ALL opinions here.

Look at my earlier post in this thread and you'll see I've had nothing but a nightmare my first year of ownership with my Cyclone. Dealing with Heartland was the biggest disappointment of all.


2013 F350 SRW 4X4 6.2L
2014 Work & Play 30WRS

gpshemi

Lapeer, Michigan

Senior Member

Joined: 10/27/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/17/12 08:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

?? Who wasn't civil ??

I don't doubt you had a hard time with Heartland.

However, I will say if you read around you're clearly a minority. Heartland is most often said to have great customer service. I suggest the OP join the Heartland owners forum and decide for themselves after researching. Everyone here will prefer what they own in general. I'd also suggest a Keystone owners forum, but I never found one that was very active when I owned mine.

lawnspecialties

Home

Senior Member

Joined: 02/09/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 06/17/12 09:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

taken wrote:

.... I agree completely! MRXLH's comment about Keystone and Heartland customer service is clearly made by someone who has not had experience with both. IE: talking out their a...


This is what I was referring to. We all have our opinions.

taken

Western MA

Senior Member

Joined: 03/27/2009

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/18/12 05:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lawnspecialties wrote:

taken wrote:

.... I agree completely! MRXLH's comment about Keystone and Heartland customer service is clearly made by someone who has not had experience with both. IE: talking out their a...


This is what I was referring to. We all have our opinions.


Well, if he owned two new units back to back less than a year apart and has a real apples to apples comparison to share, I'll retract my statement. Otherwise, it stands. I, on the other hand have. Have you? Anyone can say, yes, I've had a new one of these or those. I happen to have bought both within 11 months of each other. Both new, special order trailers and within months of each other. So, I have a pretty good comparison. Also, I can't imagine having a hard time dealing with Heartland. I get such quick replies that one time I even heard back from my regional manager at 6 AM 2 minutes after I emailed him as he was in an airport in FL after the RV show and had a few minutes to kill before his flight. Now that's service. With Keystone, I could never get past the receptionist on the phone and had no ones direct email or number. Heartland also has a great forum where you can talk directly with the factory. http://www.heartlandowners.org/forum.php Many who work for Heartland take the time to post there and answer owners directly. If you have that much dealing with a company that is that accessible, maybe it's not them that's hard to deal with.....

ricatic

Home

Senior Member

Joined: 06/25/2009

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/18/12 08:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As a Heartland owner and active participant in their owners forum and at rally's, I have seen and experienced the excellent customer service put forward by Heartland.

Are there issues from time to time...of course...I am not singling anyone out but the vast majority of the problem child customers have brought most of the grief upon themselves. Most owners have found working directly with Heartlands customer service in a civil and willing way has brought successful conclusions to their issues.

The comments regarding "being under the Thor umbrella" are true...but the apparent approaches of the individual entities under this umbrella are very different. The poster who brought up the Airstream and other quality Thor divisions hit the nail directly on the head. Heartland has remained a separate entity as far as sales and service is concerned. Most owners have seen no difference since the Thor acquisition. This is a big deal considering that many Heartland owners, myself included, worried about losing the family atmosphere so many of us have experienced at Heartland.

Regards


Ricatic
Debbie and Savannah the Wonderdachsund
2009 Big Horn 3055RL
2006 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 Dually LTX with the Gold Standard LBZ Engine and Allison Transmission
2011 F350 Lariat SRW CC SB 4WD 6.7 Diesel POS Gone Bye Bye

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers

 > Request review of Cyclone a/o Raptor toy haulers
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS