|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Water damage repair

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
topwop39

Akron,Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/11/12 06:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fixed the source of water leak in my 2007 5'er (removed and resealed bedroom window), now I have to get inside the wall to repair the water damage under the window (soft spots). I was thinking of repairing it just like a house wall. Cut out the rotted wood as far over until I find no more rot, then air it out, relace insulation, patch with luan wood and replace with new wallpaper. Does this sound right? Also, would dealers be able to order wallpaper that matches my original wallpaper?

2003 GMC Sierra 4x4 CC D/A
2007 Coachman Chaparral 269 BHS 5'er
prodigy brake controller, pullrite 14K superglide

phillyg

SWFL

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/12 07:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would do the same. I suspect, however, the finished wall panel is a bonded vinyl product with a luan substrate rather than wallpaper. I would contact the mfgr. to determine if the panel is still available. I did that with a Fleetwood product and they had it in stock. Your alternative is to remodel your room lol.

2002 Keystone Cougar 286, 8,400lbs loaded, pulled with a 2004 F150 Supercrew, 5.4, 3.73 gears. Retired and enjoying life

mobilefleet

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/12 08:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

most of those panels are made by a co. called all-rite manufacturing (ceiling panels too) and are difficult to match to original texture and design. They will prob. have them but they cost 80-100 bucks a sheet and then oversize shipping costs even more than that. By the time it's done it's around 300 bucks for a single 4x8 sheet. When I found that out on mine- I went to lowe's and got a 14 dollar sheet of luan and then found wallpaper that was a pretty close match to the design on my original wallboard. INSTALL THE WALLPAPER FIRST ON THE SHEET WHILE IT'S HORIZONTAL LYING ON SAWHORSES, AFTER YOU HAVE CUT THE PATCH SIZE YOU NEED. Much easier to remove bubbles and get the friggin stuff to stay on and adhere. All caps because you don't want to try to hang wallpaper in a camper when it's already vertical, in limited space to move around. have fun

FiverDragger

MI

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/12 08:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check with the manufacturer. They may have some in stock. You're not that far from them that a trip might be wort it if you're really interested in matching the panel.
Ron

2002 Chevy 2500HD 6.0 4.10 axle ext cab longbox
36' Carriage Lite Dbl Slide Fifth Wheel
Ron, Barb and Scooter the watchmop

Cool Canuck

Winnipeg, MB, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/11/12 09:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You are on the right track. An air stapler/nailer is indispensable. As others have said. The "wallpaper" is part of the luan. Check with your dealer. With any luck, you might get an exact match. Other wise you should be able to get something close enough that it won't be too noticeable if you do the complete area.

04 Everest 343L
2011 F250 PSD CC

SOLD - 01 F250 PSD S/C S/B
SOLD - 00 Jayco 313

BobsYourUncle

Surrey, BC Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/12 10:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Canadian chain store - Windsor Plywood. They have various woodgrain panels for around 20 bucks a sheet and the patterned ones for 30. These prices may be higher now - this was a few years ago when I bought a bunch.
And it isn't wallpaper on panels, it is a vinyl finish on mahogany paneling, bonded at the factory.

All-Rite has a nice selection of parts, pieces and all things we need but their pricing structure is absolutely outrageous. I look at their prices compared to what I buy things for and they are about triple on many things, more than double on most.

And then there is shipping.....

2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ
Duramax / Allison
Fire Red

1997 Triple E Topaz 27' Bunkhouse TT

81 Citation 25' "Tail dragger" "Under construction"

"Workin' man's rig"

Bob's Trucks

Check Out My Rebuild Project

Project Feedback

TOOBOLD

CALI

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/12 10:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had the same issue with a window. Our dealer had left over luan from other repairs and used a scrap that was an exact match. Maybe worth the while to call around and see if dealers will let you have or buy some of their scraps.

Tolo83

Chandler AZ

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/12 10:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We repaired old damage this winter to our 5th wheel we bought last July. We replaced the front paneling and part of the side in the bedrm area(ours isn't stand up bedrm) as it's a 94 we didn't even try to find matching wallpaper. I painted it instead with a Behr primer/paint mix love how it turned out don't miss that design at all in fact considering the possibility of painting it all eventually.I was able to get the seam tape fom camping world after looking online and stores all over.......fella gave me a few feet for what I needed.

trapper charlie

Central Alabama

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/12 05:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am in the process of rebuilding my entire back wall because of water damage. I was going to use luan and wallpaper like others have stated,I gave up in frustarion because of needing to order the wallpaper. I am going to use 1/8" hardboard and Behr paint w/ primer. Besides, after I replace the full length upper cabinet, 6' of windows and the cabinet that houses all of the electrical there is very little wall space showing. Tip: we thought we had matched the paint color with a piece of the original paneling at Home Depot. Decided to take the samples home and check our selection. Wrong, we selected a different color after taping up paint samples next to the fabrics. Use an eggshell finish. Besides we will have an accent wall just like on HGTV.

2004 2500HD XCAB LB 8.1 4.10
2006 Wildcat 29RLBS

bingford

Utah

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/12 05:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

topwop39 wrote:

Fixed the source of water leak in my 2007 5'er (removed and resealed bedroom window), now I have to get inside the wall to repair the water damage under the window (soft spots). I was thinking of repairing it just like a house wall. Cut out the rotted wood as far over until I find no more rot, then air it out, relace insulation, patch with luan wood and replace with new wallpaper. Does this sound right? Also, would dealers be able to order wallpaper that matches my original wallpaper?

You could try injecting epoxy into the wall to solidify the soft spots, leaving the interior walls in place. It would have been best done when you had the window out because you could pour the epoxy into the walls. You can pull the window and reseal it too.

I used this method and it worked.
Look at this site for details: ww.delamrepair.com

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Water damage repair
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS