RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Do I have the wrong wall plate(amplifier) for batwing - pics

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Do I have the wrong wall plate(amplifier) for batwing - pics

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
U.P. BLDR

Upper Peninsula of Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/12 04:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought this Sensor IV batwing antenna when redoing my Sunline and later bought the wall plate amplifier not knowing that there's already an amplifier in the head of the antenna. It just hasn't been working right so after a little research and looking at what I have I've learned it isn't the right combo. Can anyone advise which wall plate would go with this antenna?

Here's a shot of the inside of the antenna head, followed by front and back of the wall amplifier I have.

1981 Sunline 17 1/2SB - under construction
2003 Toyota Tundra SR5 TRD 4x4 4.7lt

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/12 05:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The wall plate unit is not an amplifier. It is used to induce 12 volts DC onto the coaxial cable to power the amplifier in the antenna head.
Look at page four of this manual.
Winegard Sensar

Bud
USAF Retired
Suzuki XL7 pushing Pace Arrow

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/12 05:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The wall plate splitter has one of the stubs with the 12v power (when switched on) Make sure you don't have a Murphy, where the roof coax is on an un-powered stub.

Our trailer had that when new--took me a while to find the problem

2003 Chev 2500HD Gas, 2003 Komfort 26FS 5er
See Profile for Equipment List

U.P. BLDR

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/12 05:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks guys, figured it out after doing some research, which I should've done before buying the wall plate amplifier. I need a Winegard RV-0712 or RV-0742 which sends 12v up to the antenna amp.

the_armadillo

SE Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/12/12 06:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

UP Bldr

I would replace your current wall plate with a Winegard Sensar Pro. It will work great with your Sensar IV head. It allows you to fine tune the direction of your antenna by watching the strength readings. Also, if you do get the Sensar Pro, it defaults to a gain of 10. It doesn't state such in the manual, but the gain level can be set all the way to 20 for max gain.

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/12 07:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, the real PITA is getting stations where aiming the antenna is so critical with digital.

Besides sorting out the amplifier, learn your TV menus for adding channels instead of trial and error searching and hoping for the best. (Where every time you do a new one you lose what you had)

U.P. BLDR

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/12 07:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

the_armadillo wrote:

UP Bldr

I would replace your current wall plate with a Winegard Sensar Pro. It will work great with your Sensar IV head. It allows you to fine tune the direction of your antenna by watching the strength readings. Also, if you do get the Sensar Pro, it defaults to a gain of 10. It doesn't state such in the manual, but the gain level can be set all the way to 20 for max gain.

Hey thanks for the suggestion man! That's a great idea I haven't thought about and will make tuning so much easier. Will be ordering tomorrow.

the_armadillo

SE Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/12 10:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

UP Bldr

I couldn't tell from your pictures how the screws on your original wall plate mounted in the opening. My Sensar Pro had a template cutout that had two little nubs left in the paneling that I figured would crack as soon as I screwed into them. I used the included backing plate that came with my Sensar Pro and mounted it using some machine screws and lock nuts. The lock nuts were inserted thru the cutout opening. Then I mounted the Pro to the affixed backing plate. Also, You can now get the Sensar Pro in either black or white to best match your decor.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/12 01:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A few things.. The wall plate you have is NOT an amplifier, it is the power supply for the one on the roof,, If you disconnect the cable from the roof antenna and hook up either a test lamp or volt meter you should see normal battery voltage at the end of the cable when the unit is turned on.

Second.. There are Sensar 1, II III and IV from what I understand.

1 is unamplified and no longer made

II is amplified, basic batwing

III has the wingman added

IV is an III with a 2nd amplifier (The Winegard Sensar Pro) indoors.

At least that is how I understand it. I may be wrong as I do not work for winegard. Just use the dang thing.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

the_armadillo

SE Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/12 04:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Sensar III was capable of having a Wingman added but did not come standard with it. The Sensar IV has the Wingman already installed.

I don't believe the Sensar IV comes with a Sensar Pro, at least my Sensar IV didn't.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Do I have the wrong wall plate(amplifier) for batwing - pics
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS