|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Looking at a C, have a few questions

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
dlbapm

Escondido, CA, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/12 09:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have 2005 E-450 based 28ft Class C; V-10 with Banks Kit. Tow a Jeep. Overall get just under 8 mpg; more in the plains, less in the mountains. Much of travel on interstates. Banks Kit great for climbing hills but doesn't do a thing for mpg.

80K on a motorhome of that age is OK. Typical MH only does 6K or so a year. My rig is 7 yrs old and has 105K on it. No problems and runs fine. Has been serviced religously. You cannot overdo maintenance, whether on the chassis or the coach.

My greatest concern for a rig of that age would be water leaks. Check the roof and side panel seals carefully. Resealing them can be expensive or a very labor intensive task.

tonyandkaren

pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/12 09:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From looking at the pictures it appears to be in pretty good condition for a 1999. The carpet looks filthy so plan on replacing it.

Check the right corner in the overhead bunk carefully. It looks like there's a stain in that corner and maybe some delamination on the outside.

Check the date on the tires -lots of tread but they may be too old.

Our Fulltiming Blog

Clickable Attractions Maps

4x4 Custom Class C on F450 chassis

bukhrn

Lanexa, Va

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/12 12:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just the short side of this,With a family of 8, Personnaly I think mileage will be the least of your problems, both of the RV's you've mentioned, a 29' C or a 26' TT are on the small side, especially with no slides. Will they sleep 8, probably, but you can put 8 sardines in a can too. I have a 29' Class C with 2 slides, with DW & I, and on the rare occasion when we've had 2 others with us, it gets pretty crowded after a few days.
With a family of that size, you should be looking more in the neighborhood of 32' with at least 2 slides & bunk beds, they're out there.

2007 Forester 2941DS
2005 KIA Spectra
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund
You can have my RV, when you pry my cold dead fingers from the Steering Wheel

c_liner

Union Mills, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/12 10:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looking at the picture of the tire in the ad, there appears to be a crack in the sidewall at about the four o'clock position,in close to the rim. May be nothing but check all the tires very well and check the manufacture dates in the sidewall. Figure a minimum of 1100.00 for six new tires. Good luck.

Normk

Canada's Wet Coast

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/12 11:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is often good value to have the rig surveyed by an experienced RV service shop as it is too easy for the inexperienced to miss a critical issue which can turn out to be more expensive than the purchase cost. Do you know an independent shop which could look it over for you?

If you have to replace a rotten roof, wall or floor the cost can exceed the purchase price and have seen many people in this situation.

Disclaimer: Keep in mind that I am a "typical service person" so must be considered to be lazy, ignorant, incompetent and dishonest. It will likely be for better to take the advise of someone who has read something on the net....

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/12 10:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think all the other posts have covered just about everything except one thing.

Check your Smoke/Co detectors they typically only have a life of 5 or 6 years the one that I see in the pictures looks old. They should replace that for you.

Also the LP gas detector should be checked it also has a 5 to 7 year life span.

On a rig this old they both are are most likely way out of date and should replaced. this is a real safety concern and with a large family I would not take any chanches on these 2 things. They will alert you to these silent killers. Better safe than dead.

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Recycled El Monte RV Rental

Buying A Rental Class C

Chevrolet Based Class C

garyhaupt

Back living in Kitimat..northern BC.

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/12 01:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is an old adage..that holds true...no matter what size of RV, drinks for 6, dinner for 4 and sleep two.

NormK..I think that there are rules that prevent service people contributing to these Forums..bunch of no good lazy, do-nothing thieves. I read that on here, so it must be so.

Gary Haupt

I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

thermocouple

Lehi, UT

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/12 01:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Went and did a prelim check on the unit at lunch, was planning to do a more extensive check with the wife after work. There is evidence of water leakage in the cab over. Generally seems like it was not well kept. Immediate odor when I walked into the unit. AC did not work. Generator did not fire up, salesman says due to low battery, just needs to be on a charge for a day - head scratcher, its on his lot, you would think that would have been taken care of if thats all it is. Fridge and freezer were not clean, vent over the head was open and full of leaves and crap. Misc repairs needed almost everywhere I looked, many small but indication that this thing was generally not well cared for. I think I will pass on it and keep looking.

thermocouple

Lehi, UT

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/12 01:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Normk wrote:

It is often good value to have the rig surveyed by an experienced RV service shop as it is too easy for the inexperienced to miss a critical issue which can turn out to be more expensive than the purchase cost. Do you know an independent shop which could look it over for you?

If you have to replace a rotten roof, wall or floor the cost can exceed the purchase price and have seen many people in this situation.

Disclaimer: Keep in mind that I am a "typical service person" so must be considered to be lazy, ignorant, incompetent and dishonest. It will likely be for better to take the advise of someone who has read something on the net....

Norm I called a local RV service shop, got a quote on such. Roughly 400 bucks for a thorough inspection that cant happen until after July 4th weekend, at the soonest.

thermocouple

Lehi, UT

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/12 01:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bukhrn wrote:

Just the short side of this,With a family of 8, Personnaly I think mileage will be the least of your problems, both of the RV's you've mentioned, a 29' C or a 26' TT are on the small side, especially with no slides. Will they sleep 8, probably, but you can put 8 sardines in a can too. I have a 29' Class C with 2 slides, with DW & I, and on the rare occasion when we've had 2 others with us, it gets pretty crowded after a few days.
With a family of that size, you should be looking more in the neighborhood of 32' with at least 2 slides & bunk beds, they're out there.

I do hear you, and I dont disagree. But this puts us in a price range that we are unwilling to be in on a first purchase. Like a boat, you dont want your first one to be "the" one. Additionally, we are accustomed to tent camping, and we do not hang around inside the tents. Out fishing and playing, inside as needed only. As the kids grow and the older ones inevitably lose interest one by one, we will start looking to upgrade. For now, this is the range our budget will allow us to work within. It'll have to do.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Looking at a C, have a few questions
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS