|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Good Sam Roadside Assistance

Open Roads Forum  >  Good Sam Roadside Assistance

> Stranded by Good Sam

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
othertonka

Stockton, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/12 02:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you read the terms of service for tires, good sam will respond and change your flat tire with your mounted spare, no charge. If you do not have a mounted spare they will try and locate a new tire and a tire service but the cost of the tires is your responsibility. At least that is the way I read it and understand it. Just a thought.

* This post was edited 06/13/12 08:59pm by othertonka *

Othertonka
2004 Southwind 32VS 8.1 Workhorse chassis
2002 CRV Toad
U. S. Gear Unified brake system
Retired Fire Captain, SFD

LTCLarry

Maggie Valley, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/12 03:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

othertonka wrote:

I you read the terms of service for tires, good sam will respond and change your flat tire with your mounted spare, no charge. If you do not have a mounted spare they will try and locate a new tire and a tire service but the cost of the tires is your responsibility. At least that is the way I read it and understand it. Just a thought.
So, I surmise the operative phrase here is "they will try" ....I don't know about ya'all but I didn't pay for my ERS membership for someone to "try" I paid for them to "do". We're out of middle school and in my book anything less than actual service is a failure, there is no "A for effort". You get an A for "service with a smile" service alone gets no more than a B...Why? "B"ecause service is what I paid for. As I learned in the military...awards and kudos are for "service above and beyond the call of duty" just doing your job is what you get paid for.

goodtogo2

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/12 06:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I too had a less than pleasant experience in my one attempt to make use of GS Roadside Assistance. I called and told the clerk that I had a blowout on my RV and needed. I told her exactly where I was and even gave her the GPS coordinates for my exact location. We waited and waited for a very long time. Finally a wrecker pulls up behind us and the driver was less than happy. He said the lady had sent him in the wrong direction and after calling back a couple of times he finally found us. What a pain!! Apparently GS has no control over the "good hands" folks (oops).

Gale Hawkins

Murray, KY

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/12 03:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rowdydogg wrote:

There seems to be some misunderstanding about my original posting. We were in a very rural mountain area on a saturday afternoon with the local businesses closing very soon. As per Good Sam we had absolutely nobody enroute to help us. Our son is an adult. There was no way we could unhitch on a mountain upslope with no tires on one side. We never addressed the cost of the tires as we knew we were paying. The big problem to us was help was 2.8 miles away with the proper tires and tow and Good Sam didn't find them we did. And this location was a Good Sam provider. Then the lady I was dealing with told the provider that she would only authorize a one way trip. I rode back to town with the tow truck to get the tires. After they were mounted was I to roll them back 2.8 miles and put them on myself? The station owner did the service out of kindness at no charge.

Rowdydogg from your posted info you did well with the hand that you were dealt.

We have a Droid so if there is cell service we have the same info as the help desks. If there is not cell service these service desk companies can not be contacted.

LTCLarry

Maggie Valley, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/12 05:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gale Hawkins wrote:

Rowdydogg wrote:

There seems to be some misunderstanding about my original posting. We were in a very rural mountain area on a saturday afternoon with the local businesses closing very soon. As per Good Sam we had absolutely nobody enroute to help us. Our son is an adult. There was no way we could unhitch on a mountain upslope with no tires on one side. We never addressed the cost of the tires as we knew we were paying. The big problem to us was help was 2.8 miles away with the proper tires and tow and Good Sam didn't find them we did. And this location was a Good Sam provider. Then the lady I was dealing with told the provider that she would only authorize a one way trip. I rode back to town with the tow truck to get the tires. After they were mounted was I to roll them back 2.8 miles and put them on myself? The station owner did the service out of kindness at no charge.

We have a Droid so if there is cell service we have the same info as the help desks. If there is not cell service these service desk companies can not be contacted.
I don't see how you have the "same" information as the help desk, since presumably they have access to the GS database of enrolled GS-ERS providers and contact information. I doubt that you have access to that database. As i noted previously I pay GS-ERS for service not for providing a rep to chat with....

Rowdydogg

Lee Vining Ca

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/12 03:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gale Hawkins

Murray, KY

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/12 10:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LTCLarry wrote:

Gale Hawkins wrote:

Rowdydogg wrote:

I don't see how you have the "same" information as the help desk, since presumably they have access to the GS database of enrolled GS-ERS providers and contact information. I doubt that you have access to that database. As i noted previously I pay GS-ERS for service not for providing a rep to chat with....

It is called Google. I do interview the person before I decide to use their services. I know my needs better than any call center and when talking with the service provider can get a feel for what they know about my machine/needs.

One does not pay for service beyond that of the call center help unless you bought service insurance. I do not trust strangers to select the services that I need. Shops across America is not like eating at McDonald's across America. The experience can vary by 180 degrees unlike at McDonald's

I and Good Sam appreciate those who do buy the service that supports this forum. I am just a control freak when it comes to my equipment and I select my service providers.

you need to check out Google some times. I do not need a DB of providers for the USA but only those in the local area (5-50 miles away). Where do you think they find their service providers initially? I think Good Sam's is a good option for many. Their stickers were on our RV until RMP time came.

Gale Hawkins

Murray, KY

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/12 06:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LTCLarry wrote:

Gale Hawkins wrote:

LTCLarry wrote:

Gale Hawkins wrote:

Rowdydogg wrote:

It is called Google. I do interview the person before I decide to use their services. I know my needs better than any call center and when talking with the service provider can get a feel for what they know about my machine/needs.

One does not pay for service beyond that of the call center help unless you bought service insurance. I do not trust strangers to select the services that I need. Shops across America is not like eating at McDonald's across America. The experience can vary by 180 degrees unlike at McDonald's

I and Good Sam appreciate those who do buy the service that supports this forum. I am just a control freak when it comes to my equipment and I select my service providers.

you need to check out Google some times. I do not need a DB of providers for the USA but only those in the local area (5-50 miles away). Where do you think they find their service providers initially? I think Good Sam's is a good option for many. Their stickers were on our RV until RMP time came.

There are so many things wrong with your statement. First of all sarcasm is not necessary. Secondly, do you really believe you are the only person with a smart phone who knows about Google as well as other methods for conducting internet searches? I could assume many things about how GS finds their service providers. I learned a long time ago not to assume. However, that does not speak to the OP’s post. The OP apparently does or did have the ERS from GS. It seems obvious to me that you do not. Perhaps we should start there so that all know where you are coming from. Do you have the GS ERS?

My point was and remains that your statement that “we have the same info as the help desk” is an inaccurate statement. Having access to information available to anyone who can search the internet regarding firms which purport to provide emergency road service is not equivalent to having the exact information contained in the GS database and therefore available to the GS helpdesk folks. Anyone can say they provide a service and many who can’t and aren’t qualified, don’t have the required equipment do just that. So, again I state that you do not have the SAME information as the GS help desk. They have a discreet list of the firms GS has contracted with; I am not suggesting that GS has completely, accurately and inexhaustibly vetted the firms they have contracted with. I am suggesting that you cannot possibly do an accurate vetting by chatting with someone over the phone. You will, presumably, have a list of firms representing themselves as having the ability and equipment necessary to provide the service you need. And that assumes that you have something relatively simple to fix on site. Otherwise you now need to conduct a second internet search to find a service provider who can make “repairs” to your RV. While those of us who have the GS ERS may get less than stellar service, your chance of getting a qualified firm with properly trained personnel are exactly the same as getting one not qualified with poorly trained personnel. Best case is you get good service worst case is something I don’t want to think about.

I think based on your post in your case you going with the help desk is the best way to go. I just do not trust a remote help desk staff to hire/find my repair man or woman.

Now my wife would be the other way around I am sure. Different people have different abilities.

LTCLarry

Maggie Valley, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/14/12 06:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gale Hawkins wrote:

LTCLarry wrote:

Gale Hawkins wrote:

Rowdydogg wrote:

There are so many things wrong with your statement. First of all sarcasm is not necessary. Secondly, do you really believe you are the only person with a smart phone who knows about Google as well as other methods for conducting internet searches? I could assume many things about how GS finds their service providers. I learned a long time ago not to assume. However, that does not speak to the OP’s post. The OP apparently does or did have the ERS from GS. It seems obvious to me that you do not. Perhaps we should start there so that all know where you are coming from. Do you have the GS ERS?

My point was and remains that your statement that “we have the same info as the help desk” is an inaccurate statement. Having access to information available to anyone who can search the internet regarding firms which purport to provide emergency road service is not equivalent to having the exact information contained in the GS database and therefore available to the GS helpdesk folks. Anyone can say they provide a service and many who can’t and aren’t qualified, don’t have the required equipment do just that. So, again I state that you do not have the SAME information as the GS help desk. They have a discreet list of the firms GS has contracted with; I am not suggesting that GS has completely, accurately and inexhaustibly vetted the firms they have contracted with. I am suggesting that you cannot possibly do an accurate vetting by chatting with someone over the phone. You will, presumably, have a list of firms representing themselves as having the ability and equipment necessary to provide the service you need. And that assumes that you have something relatively simple to fix on site. Otherwise you now need to conduct a second internet search to find a service provider who can make “repairs” to your RV. While those of us who have the GS ERS may get less than stellar service, your chance of getting a qualified firm with properly trained personnel are exactly the same as getting one not qualified with poorly trained personnel. Best case is you get good service worst case is something I don’t want to think about.

RVDavie

Home

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/12 06:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gale Hawkins, what is "RMP time"

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Good Sam Roadside Assistance

> Stranded by Good Sam
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Good Sam Roadside Assistance