RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Do i have an inverter in my new (used) motorhome?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Do i have an inverter in my new (used) motorhome?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
Chris Phillips

Spokane, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/12 09:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm a total newbie at the motorhome deal. My question is, on a recent trip(about 1hr and 20 mins), I was able to run the TV and dvd player for my kids in the cabin while we traveled. I didn't even think of running the generator until after we were done traveling. Everything worked well and my coach and house batteries seem fine. Afted some thought I began to wonder how the tv and dvd worked unless i had an inverter. Like i said, I'm a complete novice at motorhomes.
My motorhome is a 2007 winnebago outlook 31c. Where would i find an inverter if i had one? And is it even possible to run that stuff if i didn't and my generator was not running?

rr2254545

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/14/12 10:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You have one - or they would not work

Brochure for your motor home here

http://media.gowinnebago.com/models/globalElements/brochure/previous-models/2007/winnebago/07-Outlook-bro.pdf

2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited, Air Force One
174 Campgrounds in the past 5 years

rvten

Crossville,TN

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/12 10:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Look under fridge front panel by the floor. We have a switch to turn the inverter on/off. Could be in a different place but there should be a switch for it. Usually close by the eletrical panel.

Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

tatest

Oklahoma Green Country

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/12 02:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What you ran, ran off a built-in inverter installed to power the entertainment systems. Winnebago usually puts the inverter close to the battery to keep the heavy wire 12V runs short, and runs 120V wiring from there to the outlet. I would look for it inside the box that holds the circuit breaker panel and converter, or in another box at the same location.

Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

gerrym51

unknown

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/12 10:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

if you don't have a 12 volt tv and a 12 volt dvd player you have inverter.

My guess based on the age of your rv is inverter beacause 12 volt tv's were veryy expensive back then

Normk

Canada's Wet Coast

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/12 10:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chris, it is more likely that the TV and DVD are "12 volt" powered but this simply begins your investigation to match your understanding with the actuality of your particular rig. Are you able to see how the TV &/or DVD player are plugged into power? If so, the plugs are different for the two power sources with a standard 120 volt AC household plug or some, quite different in appearance, 12 volt connection.

If you can locate the power plug, simply unplug the 120 volt and see if it continues to function. If so, it's likely operating from the "12 volt" vehicle power. An quick check of the 120 volt plug with your multimeter or some small capacity 120 volt device to see if it is live (powered) with rig engine off or running will complete the investigation.

Depending on your other professional and life experience, you will likely find that you know much more about the rig than you recognize at this point but simply need to fill in the blanks as time goes on.

Others will likely provide better suggestions but my experince in servicing and using RV units brings to mind that one should invest time and make notes in order to understand some of the basics such as the question you pose:

Where is the power converter located?

Fuse/breakers for 12 volt and 120 volt?

Climb under the rig and locate the fuel tank, black water tank, grey water tank, propane,...all the main structures. Some photos of the under side are worth while. This will allow you to recognize problems or describe them more readily.

Own a multimeter and spend some time in learning how to use it to do simple tests such as checking the health of a smoke detector battery. This basic ability will allow others to help you to diagnise by "remote control" which can be a huge advantage if stuck somewhere with no local help available.

Find your house and engine batteries and how they are connected for charging.

All that stuff, a bit at a time. It is interesting to most people and builds an understanding of the vehicle which is a solid investment in terms of safety, convenience and cost of operation.

You likely know all that but just in case....

Disclaimer: Keep in mind that I am a "typical service person" so should be considered to be lazy, incompetent, ignorant, and dishonest.

Chris Phillips

Spokane, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/12 02:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you for all the helpfull info.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Do i have an inverter in my new (used) motorhome?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS