RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Weight Police - I need you opinion on this trailer/truck cmb

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers

> Weight Police - I need you opinion on this trailer/truck cmb

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
joebedford

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/12 08:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lincster wrote:

Pin weight won't go down if water tanks are in front of the axles. I don't care how much weigh in toys you put in the trailer.
My sandrail weighs 2700lbs and the entire rear cage/engine/tranny hang behind the rear axle on my toyhauler. With 150 gallons of water, my pin weight still goes up from 2600lbs (empty) to 3400lbs (loaded).

It won't go down if you're comparing empty to loaded but if you're comparing toys vs no toys, pin weight WILL go down (and that's what I meant). As I said elsewhere, I don't carry water as it will put me over gross.

KmYoung

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/12 09:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

what are you going to do when you are pulling down I-5 in the center lane, running the speed limit and run over a screwdriver with your left rear on your loaded to the MAX toyo tires and have an immediate blowout on your truck?? Are you going to be able to control your truck and trailer while you try to get to the shoulder with your family in the truck??? That is the big question...Or the same scenario on a 2 lane road, can you keep from having a headon?? I would buy a dually, I did!!

2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 DRW Laramie, B&W Companion hitch,2007 C-Force Nitro by Carriage 39sv2 triple axle.
09 KTM 530 Exc R

lincster

Mesa Az

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/12 10:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I couldn't carry full water, all my toys, gas, food, clothing and still be within all of the ratings on my truck and trailer, I would be changing something.

2012 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

lanerd

Ridgecrest CA or Newport OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/16/12 11:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kevin wrote:

If my math is correct my true payload would be 1,675 (GVWR of 10,000 minus true truck weight of 7580 minus 400 in passengers and 345 in slider hitch weight). It's going to be hard to get any pin weight that will work I guess. But my axle weight rating and tire weight rating is still fine, correct?

Boy, I hate to be continuously negative here, but with your RAWR and stated weights you gave, you would have about 2500 lbs left on your rear axle rate rating prior to adding the pin weight. Would be very close.

As for your GVWR, you would only have about 1675 lbs (same as your payload) left prior to adding the pin weight. Obviously, you would still be over by a considerable amount.

However, I live about 10 miles from Spangler Hills here in Sou Cal that is a huge off road area and I see 2500's pulling TH's of much larger size that you are contemplating. My experience is not with 5th wheel Th's, but with normal TT's. From this experience, I know that payload and RAWR are very important to having a safe and reliable rig.

I realize that loading weight in the rear of the toy hauler will reduce the pin weight. However, every TH I've seen has a large "empty" pin weight to begin with....I guess to off set the weight in the rear when loaded.

Like others have said, I commend you for doing this research beforhand. Not many do and typically suffer the consequences later on.

Good luck to you..

Ron

Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ILS 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

Ram4Sam

Redlands, Calif

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/12 12:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lincster wrote:

If I couldn't carry full water, all my toys, gas, food, clothing and still be within all of the ratings on my truck and trailer, I would be changing something.

Excellent advise here Kevin.....Keep doing the research and choose wisely, pick a trailer with your brain and not because of the glitz, bells and whistles, and shine. Remember, once you haul a trailer off the lot, it will be yours regardless of well it works for you. Rv lots do not have do overs.

Best of luck with your decision....

Sam

2014 Dodge cummins 3500 SRW LB CC 4X4 Aisin, Nav, white w/brown
No keys, B&W TOB & Companion

Gone....served me well...1991 Dodge Cummins...2001.5 Dodge Cummins

2008 Thor Jazz 2870UK 5er

Driving a Dodge Cummins since 1991...

sin cal sd

Hooligan #109

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/12 12:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just have to throw this out there. I was looking at the big rig weight sticker that i drive everyday. The Gvrw is 52k pounds. Now I have always said the ratings are just numbers and recommondations. So why can the whole weight be 80k pounds. That number is 28k pounds more than the rig can weigh. Now obviously 80k is spread between tractor and trailer. Yes I know these numbers are for a tractor trailer set up. But put it into a smaller scale-say your passenger vehicle. Some might see where Im trying to go with this.

So if your tv/th is over weight by any amount over the gvrw. Whats the differance? Or am I missing something.

08 F-250 Lariat 4x4 CC
Wife and 2 Little Boys

lanerd

Ridgecrest CA or Newport OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/16/12 12:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't think the issue here is what the OP can "haul", it's what he can "carry". Your example is irrelevant. The main issue here is the "pin" weight of the TH....not its GVWR.

The OP's 3/4 ton truck is limited in it's GVWR, RAWR, and its payload capacity of which the TH's pin weight will drastically affect.

Ron

Kevin8520

Orange County, CA

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/12 01:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanl you all for your honest answers, they're appreciated!

2011 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab SRW -6.6L Duramax Diesel, Standard Bed, 4x4
2007 Yamaha YFZ450 Special Edition
DL: CA Non-Commercial Class A

Tow Rating: 13,000
5th Wheel Rating: 16,700
Max Payload: 3,123
GVWR: 10,000
GCWR: 24,500
Front GAWR: 5,200
Rear GAWR: 6,200

sin cal sd

Hooligan #109

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/12 01:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

KmYoung wrote:

what are you going to do when you are pulling down I-5 in the center lane, running the speed limit and run over a screwdriver with your left rear on your loaded to the MAX toyo tires and have an immediate blowout on your truck?? Are you going to be able to control your truck and trailer while you try to get to the shoulder with your family in the truck??? That is the big question...Or the same scenario on a 2 lane road, can you keep from having a headon?? I would buy a dually, I did!!

This statement can be with a 1/2 ton and a small flat bed. Dually has nothing to do with a blow out. Just think if you have a blow out on the inner dual all that extra weight will be put on your outter tire and then that could possibly blow out. Can you pull over safely too?

sin cal sd

Hooligan #109

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/12 01:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lanerd wrote:

I don't think the issue here is what the OP can "haul", it's what he can "carry". Your example is irrelevant. The main issue here is the "pin" weight of the TH....not its GVWR.

The OP's 3/4 ton truck is limited in it's GVWR, RAWR, and its payload capacity of which the TH's pin weight will drastically affect.

Ron

Haul, carry, load its all the same. Most large th that have large pin weight more than likely will weigh a huge amout as well. If the pin is over more than likely the gross going to be very close. All numbers need to be closely monitered if just 1 is in question. Thats my opinion. But I personally have no problem being over any ratings as long as its a huge percentage.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers

> Weight Police - I need you opinion on this trailer/truck cmb
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS