RV.Net Open Roads Forum: New to fifth wheels and have some hitch questions.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> New to fifth wheels and have some hitch questions.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
kc81c

ND

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/16/12 11:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We took the plunge and traded off our 24ft rockwood tt on a 2011 Heartland Sundance XLT 285BH. The tow vehicle is a 2011 F250 Crewcab Short Box 6.7L. I had B&W goose neck hitch already for towing a 32' goose neck utility trailer. The several dealers we looked at all suggested the bolt on conversions but I decided to go with a Companion Hitch after reading on here and several other places the positive reviews.

I have a couple concerns

1. I read most on here say that if they have the radiused front that they don't need a slider. This camper does a contoured front not as much as some I've seen I'm thinking between that and the 6 3/4 bed length I should be ok am I right.

2. When you set up the hitch how do you set it up do you want the trailer sitting level like a bumper pull or gooseneck. Also is there some adjustment forward and back were is a good place to start tell I find out how the weight is spread on the tow vehicle axles.

3. I've never hooked up a fifth wheel camper type hitch but do hook up semi hitches on a regular basis is it pretty similar.

4. On our semis we've gone to use a graphite-plastic plate of sorts that goes between the trailer and hitch instead of grease is there any thing like this for fifth wheels I'd like to avoid the mess of grease on vacation.

5. Are there hitch locks available for king pins like there is for bumper hitches. I've looked a little and haven't seen one yet.

Thanks for any help this site has had a lot of great information as we've been looking. I'm excited to get the extra room and better towing ride of the fifth wheel. We have a big trip to Glacier MT planned in a couple weeks and plan to do a test run in between but would like to get as much sorted out before the test run as possible.

2013 Ram 2500 Megacab 6.7L
2011 Heartland Sundance XLT 285BH

SooperDaddy

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/12 11:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Camping World has a great king pin lock....HERE, and you'll probably want to visit a Camping World anyway to pick up some neccessities for your new 5er (Congratulations!) anyway!

You'll want the Trailer to be as level as possible to help distribute the weight evenly over the 5er axles and truck axles.

As far as the front nose cap, Heartland does better than a lot of other brands in their nose design, try it first by making a few careful turns and slightly more tight turns and see how it goes!

Hooking up a 5er is a breeze! You're an old pro and will have no issues.

They do make teflon lube plates, but you can use a clean non-messy application of dry graphite "Slip Plate" Spray...or even a Dry Teflon spray neither of which leave a greasy mess or attract gunk.

Good luck, and the Heartland Company builds a terrific RV, and follow it up with great customer service and support! Have fun!

My posts shouldn't be taken for factual data, and are purely fictional, for entertainment purposes, should not be constituted as related to scientific, technical, engineering, legal, religious, spiritual, or practical advice. After all it's FREE! Amen.

Peg Leg

Anderson, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/16/12 12:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can use the most rearward holes on the Companion. The uprights that bolt to the sides of the base can be switched around and make about a 1" difference in for and aft pin location.

2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
06 Hitchiker II LS 29.5 FKTS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

Cool Canuck

Winnipeg, MB, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/16/12 11:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We took the plunge and traded off our 24ft rockwood tt on a 2011 Heartland Sundance XLT 285BH. The tow vehicle is a 2011 F250 Crewcab Short Box 6.7L. I had B&W goose neck hitch already for towing a 32' goose neck utility trailer. The several dealers we looked at all suggested the bolt on conversions but I decided to go with a Companion Hitch after reading on here and several other places the positive reviews.

I have a couple concerns

1. I read most on here say that if they have the radiused front that they don't need a slider. This camper does a contoured front not as much as some I've seen I'm thinking between that and the 6 3/4 bed length I should be ok am I right.
You will have to try it. My friend with a short bed GM does not use a slider with his Sundance.

2. When you set up the hitch how do you set it up do you want the trailer sitting level like a bumper pull or gooseneck. Also is there some adjustment forward and back were is a good place to start tell I find out how the weight is spread on the tow vehicle axles
As with any multi axled trailer, you'd like it as level as practical

3. I've never hooked up a fifth wheel camper type hitch but do hook up semi hitches on a regular basis is it pretty similar.
Same deal on a smaller scale

4. On our semis we've gone to use a graphite-plastic plate of sorts that goes between the trailer and hitch instead of grease is there any thing like this for fifth wheels I'd like to avoid the mess of grease on vacation.
RV's generally use a white Teflon disk. Around $10.00 Again, the same thing on a smaller scale

5. Are there hitch locks available for king pins like there is for bumper hitches. I've looked a little and haven't seen one yet.
Yes

Thanks for any help this site has had a lot of great information as we've been looking. I'm excited to get the extra room and better towing ride of the fifth wheel. We have a big trip to Glacier MT planned in a couple weeks and plan to do a test run in between but would like to get as much sorted out before the test run as possible.

04 Everest 343L
2011 F250 PSD CC

You can lead a horse to water.
You cannot make it drink.

kc81c

ND

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/16/12 02:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the great info. I'm sure we'll have a few more questions once we get it home. We unfortunately don't have a camping world near us or on the way we are going but do have the catalog and already have a few things ordered. One of the downfalls of living in ND i guess.

White Knight II

Thompson, Mb

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/12 02:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Depending on the design of your fw and the height of your truck box and the style of pin box, you may need to be concerned with the pinbox contacting your box rails long before you will ever damage your back window. That was the case with my fifth wheel with extended pinbox and my chev k2500

Chippendale

Austin, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/16/12 04:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a slider which I never use, and one time, I was doing a sharp turn to the left while backing on what turned out, to not be level ground. The noise when that rear window exploded into the cab was deafening. The only saving grace was that I wasn't in an RV park with an audience.

My advice is, be very careful when turning and backing.

bailer6334

Prescott, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/12 05:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some trucks have better clearance than others like some 5ers have better turning radius than others. I have a slider and have not used it yet in over 8k miles of trailering. The more important dimension is the space between the 5er and your bed rails. Need a minimum of 6" although 8" is better.

2011 Arctic Fox 29-5T 5th Wheel
2011 Silverado HD 3500 6.6L Duramax Diesel Crew Cab
Short Bed 4X4 SRW LT
50gal Transfer Flow Aux. Tank
16K Valley Hitch w/bed saver

bad99ram

home

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/16/12 05:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bailer6334 wrote:

Some trucks have better clearance than others like some 5ers have better turning radius than others. I have a slider and have not used it yet in over 8k miles of trailering. The more important dimension is the space between the 5er and your bed rails. Need a minimum of 6" although 8" is better.

Amen X2

kc81c

ND

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/16/12 07:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks good to know. I have tube bedrails and figured I would remove them for some more clearence. The way the camper sat level at the dealership with no sag on the pickup I would have roughly 6 inches of clearance.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> New to fifth wheels and have some hitch questions.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS