RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: 43/42ft Maneuverability versus 40ft

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> 43/42ft Maneuverability versus 40ft

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
nathan

Fort Myers, Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/16/12 03:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thinking of trading for a 40ft. coach or 42/43 ft coach. We prev. had a 40ft. Phaeton and would run into tight spots occasionally and was wondering if 42/43 ft would be harder to maneuver, back, turn etc. We know the ride would be better but was wondering on the maneuverability?

Nathan & Becky Smith
2014 Allegro Open Road 31SA
2008 Saturn

rolnhome

Casa Grande, Az

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/12 04:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Has alot to do with distance between axles, wheel cut and how chassis is mounted (fore or aft) on frame. Then add in driver skill. Some 42+ footers could handle better than some 40 footers and visa versa.

We're in Arizona

barlow46

Edgewater, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/16/12 04:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 42 with the tag axle and since the tag axle raises in tight spots, I have no trouble parking in most all spaces that 40' units can get into. Big plus is the stability and ride you get with the tag on the 42.

2005 Monaco Dynasty Diamond IV 42' ISL 400; Tag Axle; Residential Refrig (sold)
2004 F450, 6.0 auto, 4:30 pumpkin; BrakeSmart; 50 gal aux.tank, 01 HR Presidential 35CKS, 3 slides, axles flipped; TrailAir Pinbox. pin weight 2760. Total gross 24,060 lbs.

Smitty77

San Diego

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/12 04:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Agree with RolinHome... I'll also add that it's possible the rid will not be noticeably different then a 38-40' with tag unit.

If the wheel bases are very similar, sometimes are, between the 40' and 42-43' coaches, then the only real concern would be the tail will be sticking out that much further. So factoring pivot tail swing could fit in.

If the 42-43' do have that much longer wheel bases, then the turning radius could still be comparable to some 40' rigs without tags, and maybe some with tags, depending upon the degree cut allowed by the front suspension.

IMO - The driving differences between these rigs, would be more dependent on the quality of the chassis then the length.

Happy hunting,
Smitty

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/12 06:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the tag axle will lift, then a 42' will have a better turning radius than a 40' single rear axle. The distance (wheelbase) from the front axle to drive axle is shorter on a 42'. In some of the NP's my 42' becomes a 40' as that's the max allowed. Even if it did not turn as well as a 40', the stability of a tag axle coach would make it worth while.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

04 Monaco Dynasty 42' quad slide
Where am I?
How I tow.

willald

NC

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/12 07:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Welll, personally I don't want anything longer than 37 or 38' absolute maximum. Any longer than that, tag axle or not, a wheelbase that long means there's some places we like to go that you can't get into, or you risk getting stuck trying to get into.

Its not the physical size of the campsites. Its frequently the roads getting to the sites and their steep inclines and tight turns with trees close on each side that becomes the problem.

One of our favorite campgrounds up in the mountains, you almost never see anything longer than about 36' there. There is a reason.

Guess it all depends on where you plan to camp, but for us, we got no use for anything that long.

Will & Angela
2 children that love camping, Stephen & Allison
2012 FR Georgetown 351DS on F53 (V10) Chassis
Our Rig

N6JRA

Madison, South Dakota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/16/12 07:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ivylog wrote:

In some of the NP's my 42' becomes a 40' as that's the max allowed. Even if it did not turn as well as a 40', the stability of a tag axle coach would make it worth while.

Aghhh and here I thought I was the proud owner of the only magical shrinking coach in the known universe.

Absolutely could not agree more about the tag. The difference is substantial.

My vote, go for it!

Twomed

FL winters and then somewhere cool

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/12 07:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

willald wrote:

Welll, personally I don't want anything longer than 37 or 38' absolute maximum. Any longer than that, tag axle or not, a wheelbase that long means there's some places we like to go that you can't get into, or you risk getting stuck trying to get into.

Its not the physical size of the campsites. Its frequently the roads getting to the sites and their steep inclines and tight turns with trees close on each side that becomes the problem.

One of our favorite campgrounds up in the mountains, you almost never see anything longer than about 36' there. There is a reason.

Guess it all depends on where you plan to camp, but for us, we got no use for anything that long.

Well since the OP already has a 40 foot he has already gotten over the phobia of 38 foot max or you just can't go anywhere.

Get the tag you will love it.

Happy Trails
06 Monaco Dynasty
07 Hummer H3
FMCA 279843

Executive

California/Arizona/South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/12 12:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The only people that say the tag is no biggie, are the ones that don't have them......I think you will find the tag a major plus. Just make sure it's an adjustable tag that lifts....the turning radius on the Exec (45') is better than it was with the Dynasty (40').....you will also find the CCC is usually more with the tag..only downside is you have to buy 2 more tires every 6-7 years.....Dennis

MY SENSE OF HUMOR IS THE MAIN REASON I'LL MOST LIKELY GO TO HELL !
Dennis and Debi Fifth Year Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

bluebirdPT36

xxxxxxxxxx

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/12 06:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I see it stated over and over about dumping air/lifting the tag axle to make short turns. I do not think this makes much differance at all. I never dump the tag air for tight turns. With approximately 19k on the drive and 7k on the tag, when push comes to shove, which axle will win?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> 43/42ft Maneuverability versus 40ft
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS