|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> sewer odor/possible tank leak

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
timdaley

Lyndonville,Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/12 12:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am new to the forum but I can't find a post directly related to this - our '04 Hurricane has had a sewer smell at times that seems to be coming from below (as opposed to above from vent) and today, after filling and flushing the toilet several times to top off the tank I had water (I think!) dripping on the ground from the top area of the blackwater tank. Would a bad closet flange or a faulty connector between the toilet and tank cause this? There appears to be no water or leakage inside the bathroom area. Any ideas would be appreciated

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/12 12:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Could be a leak where vent line enters tank or where drain line from toilet enters tank........cracked line/fitting, bad seal etc.

Only way to find out for sure is gaining access to tank and inspecting lines/fittings on top.

2007 RAM 3500 QC LB SRW 5.9L CTD 48re 4:10 4K in bed 'quiet genny'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
Hit the Road Debt Free & Clear April '07
Came off the road still Debt Free & Clear Jan. '14

pulsar

Lewisville, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/17/12 04:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moved from Forum Technical Support to Tech Issues.

Texas Two Steppers

Beaumont, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/18/12 06:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are you sure it is a sewer odor? Gray water smells different but often confused with sewer odor?
Yes the water inlet on the commode can leak and run down the pipe to the top of the black tank, but this is clean water and should not have a foul odor. Wrap a paper towel around the pipe where it enters the floor to see if moisture is observed after a couple hours of use.
I actually have to unbolt my commode and lift it off the seal to get to my water valve and tighten it.
If it is gray water always let the tanks fill before dumping so that no food particles or other residue can accumulate in the tank and deteriorate and smell inside the rig.

2013 Duramax 3500 dually 4x4
2013 Excel Winslow 31RSE
TST tire monitor
Magnum MS 2012 inverter/charger
3-135w solar panels
Tristar controller
Trimetric monitor
4-6v Trojan t105 batteries
B & W companion 3000 hitch

timdaley

Lyndonville,Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/12 07:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am pretty sure it is the toilet and the (clean) water was running down the outside of the blackwater tank as near as I could tell.If I remove the toilet can I see the pipe where it fits into the top of that tank?

Texas Two Steppers

Beaumont, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/18/12 01:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My suggestion is that you fix fresh water leak first and then make sure that it is sewer you are smelling. If you are not sure get an opinion from someone more familiar with rving. It will be easier than trying to fix something that ain't broke.

ksg5000

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/12 02:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

timdaley wrote:

I am pretty sure it is the toilet and the (clean) water was running down the outside of the blackwater tank as near as I could tell.If I remove the toilet can I see the pipe where it fits into the top of that tank?

On my rig the pipe from the toilet leads off at an angle and you could not be able to see how it connects to the black water tank by simply removing the toilet -- maybe different on other rigs. I suspect the type of problem you have will require you to drop the black water tank for inspection - I would give call the mfg or dealer who carries your RV and ask their opinion.

Kevin

5thwheeleroldman

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/12 06:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just installed the 360 vents on my three tank vents (black, grey and kitchen). The upper vent tubes were all stopped up with dirt dauber nests, which caused the foul air to be released inside the trailer rather than out through the vents. Suggest you climb on top, remove the vent caps and peep down with a flashlight to see if the tubes are clear. Something cheap to try!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> sewer odor/possible tank leak
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS