Our 96 Bounder was plugged in to 30 amp shore power, with front air cond. running, when my husband started the generator. He went inside RV and smelled burning odor and saw smoke coming from electrical panel located over the fridge.Main breaker flipped off. Turned everything off, then tried it again.Then neither air cond. worked on gen. but did work on shore power. We left the next a.m. for a trip. Plugged into pedestal at campground and everything worked fine for 4 days. On 4th night, the front a/c flipped the breaker in the middle of the night. It would come back on,but flipped the breaker. Same with the rear a/c. We took everything apart when we got back home and found burned wires in the transfer switch. Ordered a new transfer switch, installed it, and tried everything again, plugged in.Tried the rear air and it works fine. Tried the front a/c and smelled burning smell.Turned everything off. Then cranked gen., rear a/c works, then tried just the front air on gen. & gen. instantly shut down. Everything else in RV (tv, microwave,etc.) work fine. Problem now seems to be with front a/c. Could it be a faulty breaker? The a/c and main breaker are a 30/20 double breaker. But then why does rear air work? Very confusing!
but i'm betting on some fried wiring or compressor in that A/C
your problem was created because the front A/C was running and you tried to switch the transfer switch under heavy load ( A/C running and connected to shore power ) the rear a/C was protected because it was off
your NOT the first one
some people get away with it a few times before the contacts in the TS arc and stick and cause an overload problem
this comes under the heading of "you might get away with it, but better off Not to try it"
we have members that adamantly state they do this all the time with No problem
you just proved what a problem it can be
although they usually do it in the reverse order, the generator is running and they pull into the campsite and plug in, then turn off the generator, can't go with out a/c for a few minutes
I think you will end up replacing the front a/c
don't let him be too hard on himself, I've done other things far more costly than a new a/c
Options, always have options, and the journey goes much smoother ....
Connected thru Verizon with HotSopt WiFi using a Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Member of the Verizon Wireless Customer Council
I BOUGHTthis phone
Thanks for all the input. We replaced the circuit breaker, but still get the burning smell as soon as we turn on the front air cond. And you can hear the breaker making a sound. It is like the air cond. is coming on with the compressor running from the start, and it struggles and then we smell the smell. We now know that the problem lies with that front A/C, so we will try to figure it out from here.
Problem solved, thank goodness! Thank you to all who responded. We replaced the start capacitor on that front a/c, and we are back in business. Headed out this weekend to Edisto Beach State Park in S.C. to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary, so very glad the RV is fixed! And, I might add, the part was only $23.99 at the local RV dealership, and they had it in stock.