|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> Loss of AC with Pet in Motorhome

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
remoandiris

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/12 04:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dturm wrote:

I zero out the history every time I store it. Last time ambient temp high (in the storage bay) was 94, interior temp 108, plenty high enough to cause problems with a cat.

Every time you store it is NOT the same as going out for 6 - 8 hours for sightseeing or other activities.

To each his own. I don't panic over what might happen when I leave my pets in the 5er for the day.

2011 GMC 3500 Dually
New to me 2006 Jayco Designer 38RDQS
2 Boxers and a Maine Coon

WandaLust2

TN

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/12 01:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Geobiker wrote:

We have a rescue cat who we think is about 11 years old. She lived over 2 years on her own before finding us. Obviously she is an indoor/outdoor cat. She has never been RVing, but we would love to give it a try. Even if she adapts well, we are concerned that if we are gone exploring, the campground power goes out for whatever reason, and the AC goes off, what are you doing to make sure your cat (or dog for that matter) stays safe from overheating when left alone in the MH? Any thoughts or real life solutions would be greatly appreciated.

The power can go out. It happens. Our TT can reach 98% without power, but cats, evolving in a desert area, can cope with that for awhile. Make sure she has fresh water. We would never go away for all day and leave them alone anyway. I'd be more concerned about dogs and loss of power than cats. Most of the time we will leave the windows cracked at one end of our TT and the FantasiticFan running at the other end. It keeps the TT from getting deadly hot when we leave them for a few hours. Watch those windows also as some cats can claw/chew through a screen in desperation. We have those vertical MaxxAire vents in two of the windows so our cats cannot escape.

WandaLust. Retired. Middle TN
Heartland 2011 NorthTrail 28BRS
1993 Ford Dutchman Class-C

Deb and Ed M

SW MI, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/12 10:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think you also have to look at the ability of your RV to heat up?? A dark-colored RV is going to heat up WAY faster than a white one, for example. Are you parked in the shade? What is the ambient temperature?

If I owned a black RV parked in the sun in Arizona - I'd own one of those temp-alarm-dialer things. However, my dogs probably will be OK for several hours in our white RV in Michigan....

TURNKEY

Saskatoon,Sask,Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/27/12 05:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We travel with two cats. We find a PROPERLY set Fantastic fan is fine for the kids. It also helps to park in the shade. We will soon be moving from our class b to a fiver. When that happens I intend to install two fans and operate then on seperate batteries to double the safety.

TURNKEY

chuggs

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/20/12 03:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here in Florida we have decent coverage...and plenty of HEAT!

I don't know if it helps...but the freeze alarm will call up to three different numbers....and will continue to call out every 15 minutes until you cancel the alarm by entering your PIN number. It's still important to have good coverage in the campsite....but if your explorations take you out of coverage momentarily...rest assured the freeze alarm keeps trying to reach you.

Geobiker

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/20/12 09:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks to everyone for your input concerning our concerns, and especially to you Chuggs for your continuing updates to the Freeze Alarm system. It looks like a great system. The only concern that I continue to have, however, is the unreliability of cell phone coverage (either at the motorhome location or where we are exploring). I am not very technically savy so I hope I didn't miss info on this concern, but, there you go. Thanks again.

Deb and Ed M

SW MI, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/12 09:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

chuggs wrote:

I've been meaning to do a test...using my Freeze Alarm.

- Open the slideouts...and set up the camper just like it would be during camping. Run all the normal things that might produce some latent heat. Water Heater, Fridge, etc...

- Wait until the HEAT of the day...with the sun beating down.

- With the RV cooled at a normal setting --- turn off the a/c...leave the camper with the windows/doors/vents closed.

- Call-in and get the Freeze Alarm status temperature every 30 minutes and plot the temperatures.

This way it gives me a more accurate idea of just how close we need to be in case of an outage resulting in an alarm.

That would be interesting to know!! Please share the results when you do this??

chuggs

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/28/12 07:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Without a doubt...

If you live in a milder climate, possibly camp in a shaded area...then a roof vent being open, and a window cracked open might be all you need to establish the flow needed to keep the inside at a safe temperature. If I lived in Northern States...I'd probably add one of those Automatic Fantastic Fans...

I've been meaning to do a test...using my Freeze Alarm.

- Open the slideouts...and set up the camper just like it would be during camping. Run all the normal things that might produce some latent heat. Water Heater, Fridge, etc...

- Wait until the HEAT of the day...with the sun beating down.

- With the RV cooled at a normal setting --- turn off the a/c...leave the camper with the windows/doors/vents closed.

- Call-in and get the Freeze Alarm status temperature every 30 minutes and plot the temperatures.

This way it gives me a more accurate idea of just how close we need to be in case of an outage resulting in an alarm.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> Loss of AC with Pet in Motorhome
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS