|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> My Barking Dog

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
rvchick11

indiana

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/12 06:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well I have a problem, my little schnauzer has a barking problem, i have tryed everything i know,, then the guys across the st. in campground said my dog barked all the time we were gone, But we did forget to leave the radio on...So i ordered the Bird house from fosters dog magazine, that is supposed to control barking within 50ft..Has anyone tried these..We been here for 3 wk. & this is the first time anyone has said anything, & I ask them to tell me if he did..Hope this works..& any suggestions welcome

TexasShadow

Spring Branch, TX USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/17/12 06:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

the bark collar worked like magic on our lhasa. it only took 2 zaps and he was done. now all we have to do is show him the collar..or put it on with no batteries... it's like putting a stopper in a bottle.

TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
( Sometimes ) BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee Toad
M&G aux brake system
Datastorm 3990
854 watts of solar power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Geobiker

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/17/12 06:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a pit bull mix living behind us who barks day and night. Poor guy is totally bored and gets very little attention. We recently bought a Dog Silencer Pro from Good Life. Go to www.ultimatebarkcontrol.com The silencer works up to 75 ft. from the controller which we have afixed to our fence. It runs off of electricity or battery and will not harm the dog although it took a little time before the pit bull started reacting to it. So far we are happy to finally get a restful night and to once again enjoy our backyard. It was well worth the $80. Good luck.

Dogbone

Ontario Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/12 07:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We turn our AC fan on high. When we are around we solved his backing with a spray bottle with water in it.

2007 5th Wheel Crossroads Cruiser 30SK
2003 Ford F250

Big Katuna

Deland, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/17/12 07:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Masking symptoms of a bigger problem IMHO. Your dogs are bored. I believe most if not all dog behavior issues can be corrected by excercise. A worn out, satisfied dog curls up in the corner and sleeps for 8 hours at a time. Walk/run them, throw the ball, play tug of war, whatever and wear them out. Also take command. Make them sit 100 times a day and reward them for good behavior. They are begging for attention.

My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Deb and Ed M

SW MI, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/12 09:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rvchick11 wrote:

Well I have a problem, my little schnauzer has a barking problem, i have tryed everything i know,

As someone else said, a tired dog tends to be more quiet....

My neighbor's Schnauzer is a barker - until he gets his no-bark collar put on. Yes, it's a "gadget" (as opposed to intensive training and monitoring) but it lets him be outside playing with the grandkids, (and everyone enjoys his presence) rather than locked in his crate in the house. And since we see him a LOT - I find it interesting that now that he CAN'T run around and bark at everything (or nothing) - even with the collar off - he's a lot quieter. It's like he's getting out of that "habit" of barking?

KLO

Southern OK

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/12 05:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with a dog getting into the habit of barking. My 1st Rat Terrier while barking some wasn't a problem till my husband and I had to be gone for a month due to health issues. Ever since she barks at everything and has taught my other 2 dogs to bark also. A water bottle works for a little while but as soon as I turn my back she's barking again. Driving me crazy and it's not lack of exercise either, does it even after a long walk. This has been going on since 09 so I really think it's just a habit she/they have gotten into. I just have to live with it, not enough hours in the day for anything else to do as I am a 24/7 caregiver to my husband.

xteacher

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/12 06:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another vote for the bark collar. I have this one: Tri-tronics Bark Limiter G3. It's worth every penny.

Also, turn your tv or radio and a/c fan on to create enough noise so that your dog can't hear what's going on outside, w/out disturbing your neighbors. Close all blinds.

I agree with previous posters: take your dog for a long walk before you go out to wear it out. It will more likely to sleep when tired.

Beth and Joe
3 Grown, Non-camping children
1 Future Camper - Granddaughter Alice (born 6/25/14 )
3 Camping Rescue Pups: Maddie (malti-poo/westie?), Sunny (toy poodle), and Jackson (boxer)

2014 Starcraft AR-ONE 14RB
2010 Nissan Pathfinder

Code2High

One hour past Nowhere, CA

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/12 08:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When you say you've "tried everything," what does that mean exactly? What have you done specifically?

When you leave her, what do you do before you go? How much exercise? How long is she alone, and what does she have to do? Crated, or loose? What is her demeanor when you come home? Is she barking when you pull up and walk in? What is your routine when you come home?

If she hasn't done this previously and something has changed, you need to first figure out if this is boredom, or if it is anxiety. If it is anxiety, using the widget to scream your dog into silence will produce additional anxiety and problems down the road. Same with shock collars.

If it's boredom, it could also transfer itself to other behaviors. Not as bad as an extremely anxious dog, but still that can be problematic.

It's always easier to use the widget and "solve the problem" right away. Unfortunately, cutting corners with training is like cutting corners with most things in life.... it sometimes works, and sometimes creates more problems than it solved.

susan

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a wabbit, Fuzzy Wuzzy had a dandelion habit! RIP little Wuz... don't go far.

milo

4 Corners

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/12 07:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We're baby sitting our son's Schnauzer and I walk her butt off, not so much for her exercise but for mine (twice a day bout an hour each time). She only barks ...if some one rings the door bell or when she is visiting thru the fence with the neighbors 2 Schnauzers.

Janet & Milo ...37 & 11/12 yrs 2gether
Mona Mo 8 yr old Yorkie & (in spirit) our Beagle
2013 F-150 Kodiak Brown XLT 4X4 HD Ecoboost
2014 Cougar 26SAB

Living under the best Government money can buy ... Bob Brinker

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> My Barking Dog
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop