RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Tow Vehicle sorry guys onece again please

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Tow Vehicle sorry guys onece again please

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
Sponsored By:
drae0814

Sunny Cal

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/12 03:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know you experts have been over this many times but I just sold my 3000lb Tent Trailer or PUP as you will. The dealer has sold me a wonderful trailer. They asked about my tow vehicle and just told me that I will be just fine the sale is done and the trailer is home so I own it. The trailer is a 03 Prowler LS 31G North West Edition with large slide. This is a non bunk house model and has a very large rear bath. Above the trailer sink on the sticker it says GVWR 8900 min UVW 6899. I have a 05 DODGE HIMI 5.7 1500 with the Tow package button on the gear shift. I went on the dodge site and it lists my truck at 13,850lbs with a tow rating of 9150. i have a class 3 receiver that says 10,000 with WD I am using the Weight Distribution hitch system by Draw Tite with a draw tite sway bar, a separate unit,i am also using a Prodigy Brake Controller. the Pup was very easy to pull I can feel that 6000 + pounds back their but truck RPM around 2 1/2 temp is low so it feels OK, I have a little water in the black tank and 1/3rd in the fresh i only camp in full hook up area and with-in 20 to 50 miles of my house as i am only 42 years old and have a full time job so I can only camp 4 to 6 times a year. it looks like I won't be retiring for another 30+ years. OK back on track The sticker on my Dodge truck door says Front 3,700 Rear 3,900 need some help with that. I don't know what the rear gears are on the truck, maybe a little help their as well. I guess the bottom line is am i safe. i am not towing much gear i would say right around 250 lbs just a guess and my Wife we are light so add another 300 for the 2 of us and the tow bar hitch is heavy not sure on weight. and last question when towing do i keep the truck in the tow mode i have only been using it on hills. temp has not moved thanks for any help as i enjoy rving and want to keep on enjoy for years to come and don't really want to mess my truck up.

Post moved from TT Forum to Tow Vehicle Forum

Moderator - TT Forum

* This post was last edited 06/19/12 07:18am by an administrator/moderator *   View edit history

M GO BLUE

Southgate, MI

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/12 03:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A 1/2 ton gas truck pulling a 31' TT? Wow...more than likely you will be overweight...may even have a case of the "tail wagging the dog"

Been there and done that...never again for me

Can you tow the TT? YES

Can you tow the TT safely? Not likely...

2005 Chevy Silverado 3500 dually CC/LB Duramax/Allison
2008 Jayco Designer 35RLTS fifth wheel
Onan 5500W Marquis Gold gas generator (HGJAB - 1038D)

drae0814

Sunny Cal

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/12 03:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes i here you their, i keep truck right around 50 to 60 MPH stopping and acceleration feels good i took it up to 70 just to here engine but don't worry guys i know that is not a proper tow speed just testing truck in a open area. and when on FWY I have very little sway at all if any while changing lanes or being passed but i have only pulled it about 80 miles 2 camp trips so far this year.

enjoy life while you can

05 Dodge HEMI Quad Cab
03 Fleetwood Prowler 31G LS North West Edition
Draw Tite Weight Distribution ans Sway Unit
90885 Prodigy Break Controller

tomdinwv

WV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/18/12 03:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can't help you out with the numbers, but there are others on here who will do that. I was in the same situation as you. I bought a 30 TT, dry weight (which means very little) is approx 6900lbs loaded up and ready to go with all tanks empty, I guesstimate it weighs around 8200lbs, give or take. I had an 08 Ram 1500 which of course the TT dealer said was fine. Towing was not enjoyable to say the least. Never had problems stopping or driving on two lane roads but on the interstates, it was not fun at all. Big trucks passing would shove me all over the place and bumps would make it porpose. I hated towing on the interstate and would do everything I could to avoid it.

I ended up trading in the 1500 for a 2500 Ram. World of difference. The truck/TT is now stable on the road. No push from big trucks and the porpoising is gone. I never had a problem with swaying but I never was caught in "high" winds while towing with the 1500 either. You may eventually become uneasy as I did and feel the need for a heavier duty TV. Made a world of difference for me. Good luck!

SWD

Land of Living Skies

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/12 04:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Too smaller truck for this TT. Upgrade TV.

MackinawMan

NW Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/12 04:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SWD wrote:

Too smaller truck for this TT. Upgrade TV.

Sure sounds like it...especially if you load that truck with gear and people.

2000 Ford F350 XLT 7.3L PowerStroke Diesel CC 4x4 OffRoad SRW Long Bed
2008 Jayco Eagle 314BHDS (Momma Eagle)
Equalizer Hitch System (1400/14000lbs)
Prodigy Brake Controller
Curt XD Class V Receiver Hitch (1500/15000 lb)

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/12 04:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd say get yourself to the scales when everything is loaded for a trip and see where you are. I think you will be borderline but OK.
BTW, I just don't understand how towing short distances will make any difference if your overloaded? same for the towing slow? It just does not compute, Towing overloaded is towing overloaded no matter if you are only going 5 miles or 25 MPH it is still unsafe.

Don,Lorri,Max (The Rescue Flat Coat Retriever?)
The Other Dallas

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/12 04:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As stated many times. You run out of weight long before you run out of length.
For your truck to tow the 9150lbs you stated. Your truck would only be able to weigh 4700lbs. I bet it weighes more thn that. I bet your Tow capacity is much closer to 8500lbs. You figure that by subtracting your truck weight from the GCVWR, of 13850lb which you posted.

IMOP, You prolly have too much weight for your truck, unless you don't plan on carrying anything (family) in the truck, and can get away with only 500lbs in the trailer.

As mentioned. Get everything weighted, loaded, ready to camp. You may come in just under the wire.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
04 F150, 5.4, Lariat SuperCab
Lazy Campers

Charltons

Battle Ground, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/12 05:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

M GO BLUE wrote:

A 1/2 ton gas truck pulling a 31' TT? Wow...more than likely you will be overweight...may even have a case of the "tail wagging the dog"

Been there and done that...never again for me

Can you tow the TT? YES

Can you tow the TT safely? Not likely...

X2......3/4 ton at a minimum.

2012 Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4X4 TCD
2012 Keystone Sprinter 311BHS

boosTT

Milwaukee

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/12 05:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's a big and heavy trailer for a 1500. But, since your towing short distances, you may be okay. Distance matters because if it's too windy you can wait it out or avoid the interstate. It also helps if you know the area and are not trying to read road signs and need to slam on the brakes.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Tow Vehicle sorry guys onece again please
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS