RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Tow Vehicle sorry guys onece again please

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Tow Vehicle sorry guys onece again please

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
CKNSLS

Northern Utah

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/12 12:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Perrysburg Dodgeboy wrote:

That's the problem CKNSLS they are not the same. At best a 1/2 ton will have EL P rated tires unless YOU upgrade them. The frame, brakes, springs and suspension are all light duty. So it will not and can not tow as well out of the box as a HD pick up. Can it be made to....yes but then you might just as well buy the right tool for the job.

Don
with all due respect-nothing you mention will prevent a half ton truck from towing a trailer in a straight line in a cross wind if it is properly equipped with LT tires and a competent wd-anti sway hitch.

Your saying a 3/4 ton truck is a minimum for a positive towing experience and that is false information depending on whato size TT you are looking to tow.

Perrysburg Dodgeboy

Perrysburg, Ohio USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/12 02:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Now now I told the OP his truck could tow his TT but said he might want to upgrade his tires and get a good WD & sway control system.

What I said to you was. "Out of the box" as in stock you will not like any 1/2 ton towing a 32'+ tt in the 8500# range. Can they do it yes, hell Ford rates their HD 150 for over 11000#! Sorry but I wouldn't tow that weight with a 1/2 ton. For $45-52K I would get a F-250/350 diesel, but that is just me.

Don

Currently truck less and trailer less. Sold the 2500 Ram and ordered a 2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Eco-diesel. Or as I have been told on here, the slowest & weakest truck on the market

RedG

Fort Worth Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/21/12 01:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CKNSLS wrote:

RedG wrote:

HappyTrails2U2 wrote:

RedG wrote:

There's one in every crowd......

You mean the one that thinks that nothing can be towed without a one ton dually? The one that has to drive a big monster fuel guzzling engine clanking truck around the rest of the time that he's not towing his trailer? If that's what your talking about then there's more than one of them here.

No, I mean guys who say "I tow a 34 ft. trailer with my 1/2 ton truck and there's no tail wagging the dog. The truck has no idea whether the trailer is 20 ft or 40 ft. long". Tell that to the guy I saw upside down on I-20 in Arizona in his F-150 with his 40 foot trailer in splinters all over the interstate. Guess his truck had no idea the trailer was too bulky for an Arizona crosswind with a 1/2 ton truck.

Assuming wheels basis are close to the same, assuming tires are one rating apart, and WD/sway control are the same-please explain your statement how a 1/2 ton is more troublesome in a crosswind towing a trailer the same length.

Maybe you can explain to me why they bother to make 3/4 and 1 ton trucks if a 1/2 ton will tow the same loads.......
There's a lot of difference between suspension, brakes, cooling systems, etc. on a 1/2 ton and an HD truck.

2005 Newmar Dutch Star 4024 DP 370 Cummins
Towing my 2012 Malibu w/Blue Ox towbar & Patriot brake system

CKNSLS

Northern Utah

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/12 02:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RedG wrote:

CKNSLS wrote:

RedG wrote:

HappyTrails2U2 wrote:

RedG wrote:

You mean the one that thinks that nothing can be towed without a one ton dually? The one that has to drive a big monster fuel guzzling engine clanking truck around the rest of the time that he's not towing his trailer? If that's what your talking about then there's more than one of them here.

No, I mean guys who say "I tow a 34 ft. trailer with my 1/2 ton truck and there's no tail wagging the dog. The truck has no idea whether the trailer is 20 ft or 40 ft. long". Tell that to the guy I saw upside down on I-20 in Arizona in his F-150 with his 40 foot trailer in splinters all over the interstate. Guess his truck had no idea the trailer was too bulky for an Arizona crosswind with a 1/2 ton truck.

Assuming wheels basis are close to the same, assuming tires are one rating apart, and WD/sway control are the same-please explain your statement how a 1/2 ton is more troublesome in a crosswind towing a trailer the same length.

Maybe you can explain to me why they bother to make 3/4 and 1 ton trucks if a 1/2 ton will tow the same loads.......
There's a lot of difference between suspension, brakes, cooling systems, etc. on a 1/2 ton and an HD truck.

Nobody said they would tow the same loads. What others are saying is you need to use a 3/4 ton truck (or more) to tow a TT that is WELL WITHIN A ONE-HALF TONS SPECIFICATIONS. It's you need a dually to tow anything mentality.

RedG

Fort Worth Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/21/12 02:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CKNSLS wrote:

RedG wrote:

CKNSLS wrote:

RedG wrote:

HappyTrails2U2 wrote:

RedG wrote:

Nobody said they would tow the same loads. What others are saying is you need to use a 3/4 ton truck (or more) to tow a TT that is WELL WITHIN A ONE-HALF TONS SPECIFICATIONS. It's you need a dually to tow anything mentality.

Well, you just said "Assuming wheels basis are close to the same, assuming tires are one rating apart, and WD/sway control are the same-please explain your statement how a 1/2 ton is more troublesome in a crosswind towing a trailer the same length." The tougher suspension would be the explanatory difference in this case. Heavy Duty pickups have much stronger suspensions and brakes to control sway. IMO, a half ton truck is not capable of controlling a trailer of great length (34 to 40 ft) regardless of the weight involved if strong crosswinds are involved or even a good blast from a passing semi in some cases. I don't have a you need a dually to tow anything mentality, but I do believe you need more than a half ton truck to tow a travel trailer of any great length.
Back in 1984, I bought a 24 ft travel trailer to tow behind my 6 cylinder Jeep Wagoneer (dealer said it'd handle it fine). After being jerked all over the highway (with sway control, weight dist. bars, etc.), I bought a 1985 Chevy CC Dually, and all I had to do was set the trailer on the bumper ball and cruise down the highway.
Maybe an extreme on both ends, but I know which ride I prefer.

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/12 03:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With a half ton truck, the limiting factor when pulling a TT is the tongue weight of the trailer. Your truck might easily pull an 8000 lb. boat, for example, because boat trailers typically put less weight on the tongue than an equivalent TT. By the same token, a half ton is limited to pulling only the smallest fifth wheels, since those put very large amounts of weight--about 20% of total trailer weight--on the truck.

Look at the sticker(s) on the door jamb of your truck. Somewhere it will tell you the cargo capacity of your particular truck. The trailer's tongue weight counts against this number, along with the weight of anything in the truck--you, wife, firewood, etc. As others have said, only a trip to the scales will tell the real story.

Are you overloading your truck with this trailer? I think the scales will say yes. Does that mean you will ruin your truck, or lose control and crash? Unless you are far over, probably not. Upgrade your tires to E rated, and set your hitch up properly. Keep your trips short, don't try to climb the Rockies, and most importantly, use good judgment. Is the truck down in the rear no matter what you do with the WD hitch? Does it bob like crazy over bumps? Do crosswinds and passing semis turn your knuckles white?

After a few trips, you'll know if your rig is stable, or if you've got too much trailer for your truck.

2006 Silverado 1500HD CC 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2003 Jayco Jayflight 27 BH
Reese WD hitch
Prodigy

CKNSLS

Northern Utah

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/12 03:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This where two people have different experiences. I towed a 21 foot TT for 5 years with a Toyota 4Runner with a wheelbase that was similar to the Wagoneer at 110 inches. Was it the ideal rig? No. But it was capable of doing the job as long as you knew what to expect when going pass a semi truck. With my Silverado half ton pulling a 28 foot ultra light passing a semi or being passed by one is a non issue. I don't need a heavier truck to do what I am doing or to be any safer.

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/12 08:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RedG wrote:

HappyTrails2U2 wrote:

RedG wrote:

Or you could explain it to the guy in the popular internet video. that shows a 35' TT fliping over and turning the Dulley towing it around. Can't blame that on a so called 1/2 ton truck. BTW. there is no such thing as a 1/2 ton truck anymore.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
04 F150, 5.4, Lariat SuperCab
Lazy Campers

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/12 08:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Terryallan wrote:

As stated many times. You run out of weight long before you run out of length.
For your truck to tow the 9150lbs you stated. Your truck would only be able to weigh 4700lbs. I bet it weighes more thn that. I bet your Tow capacity is much closer to 8500lbs. You figure that by subtracting your truck weight from the GCVWR, of 13850lb which you posted.

IMOP, You prolly have too much weight for your truck, unless you don't plan on carrying anything (family) in the truck, and can get away with only 500lbs in the trailer.

As mentioned. Get everything weighted, loaded, ready to camp. You may come in just under the wire.

This was amy post on the first page, and i'm still in the it's too much for his truck camp.

All I was saying. Is a 150, or 1500, dores a great job, IF you keep it in it's rating. And i refuse to cal them 1/2 ton trucks. anything with a 1800lb or higher payload. Is NOT a 1/2 ton, or 1000lb payload truck.

RedG

Fort Worth Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/22/12 10:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Terryallan wrote:

RedG wrote:

HappyTrails2U2 wrote:

RedG wrote:

Or you could explain it to the guy in the popular internet video. that shows a 35' TT fliping over and turning the Dulley towing it around. Can't blame that on a so called 1/2 ton truck. BTW. there is no such thing as a 1/2 ton truck anymore.

It would have been very interesting to see that same scenario with a 1/2 ton truck as opposed to the dually. How much you wanna bet the 1/2 ton would have been upside down....

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Tow Vehicle sorry guys onece again please
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS