|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Las Vegas to Palm Desert, CA

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
dsender

Georgetown, TX USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/18/12 10:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I could use some advice on this route. I have a 40 ft MH towing an Acura MDX. I am in Las Vegas and know that there is a HUGE climb on I-15, if I take that route. I've also looked at the possibility of going from Las Vegas through Needles on US 95 to SR 62 (California) to 177 to I-10 west.

I know this alternate route is longer than the I-15 route but wonder if it's an easier drive without the mountains...although I'm not sure if there are other mountains that I'll need to cross with this alternate route.

Any experience/advice, especially given the extreme temperatures this week?

Danielle, Jay and our Australian Labradoodle, Rocky

More To See

San Diego Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/19/12 12:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well for a quick start on what you don't want to do is take route 95 south of Needles down to 62 at Vidal Junction. It's narrow, constant rolling up and down and no shoulders to speak of. Drop a wheel of the road the chance of going down into a deep gully is a good possibility. To confuse the issue in that area, on the California side of the Colorado River there is that US route 95. Twenty miles to the east in Arizona there is a state route 95 down through Lake Havasu City.

Down south of Havasu the right turn to the east onto 62 down at Parker puts you on a very narrow bridge across the Colorado River over to Earp. It can be done and lots of RV do it but it will test your narrow bridge skills.

This post is cautions and not really a route recommendation.

95 Winnebago Vectra 34 (P30/454)

dsender

Georgetown, TX USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/19/12 12:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks... didn't know the road was so bad. I did know about the 95 in both states. Guess we'll go over the mountain and just leave early before the heat and maybe not tow up the mountain. Thanks for the cautions.

Altern

Home

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/12 10:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dsender wrote:

there is a HUGE climb on I-15
You must be thinking of the Cajon Pass. In your route to Palm Desert its not a huge climb but a fairly long decent. If you have a jake brake its a no brainer. If your coach has an exhaust brake its still very doable.
Good luck.

2oldman

The Q

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/12 10:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

More To See wrote:

don't.. take route 95 south of Needles down to 62 at Vidal Junction. It's narrow, constant rolling up and down and no shoulders to speak of.
I've taken it many times. Not enjoyable, but definitely driveable. Lots of trucks. We like to overnight at Vidal Jct. Huge open gravel areas.

The Havasu route is much nicer.

MPond

Thousand Oaks, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/19/12 11:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Altern wrote:

dsender wrote:

there is a HUGE climb on I-15
You must be thinking of the Cajon Pass. In your route to Palm Desert its not a huge climb but a fairly long decent. If you have a jake brake its a no brainer. If your coach has an exhaust brake its still very doable.
Good luck.

I don't think dsender is referring to the Cajon Pass. Between stateline and Baker is the Baker grade on I-15, and climbing the Vegas side is a significant climb.

But we've done it a number of times in our DP & toad, just gear down and take your time. And yes - avoiding the mid-day heat is a good idea.

2003 Country Coach Intrigue, Cummins ISL 400
Toad: 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (LJ) toad, with just a few mods...

Other rig: 2005 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax Dually / Next Level 38CK Fifth-wheel Toy Hauler w/ quads, sand rail, etc...

ssocal

Highland SoCal

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/12 12:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can take the back roads through the Mojave Preserve, it's the shortest most direct route. It's a 2 lane road with little traffic. We've taken it in our 38' MH and seen several others thru the years. Take the Nipton turnoff on I 15 to Ivanpa road then Kelso to Amboy to 29 Palms on to Palm Desert. You'll bypass the climb from stateline to Mt Pass and Baker grade. Be sure to stop at Kelso Depot.

2011 Fleetwood Expedition 38B
2011 Grand Cherokee

2006 2500 Duramax 4x4
31' Rockwood

Bucky44

Florida.

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/12 09:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I second Highland Socal route.A bit remote but pretty good road all the way.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Las Vegas to Palm Desert, CA
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS