RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: MiFi instead of cable or DSL?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> MiFi instead of cable or DSL?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
stillthinking99

So Calif

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/12 08:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks JC painter, mine is a 4510. I will look for a replacement fix at Verizon.

lat471

Lebanon, PA

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/12 08:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sdianel wrote:

We got rid of cable TV and went with DirecTV in the stick house and the RV.
We got rid of the landline phone and went with one cell phone.
We got rid of the DSL and got the Verizon Mi-Fi. Speed difference minimal for most things except if you're downloading large files which I don't do.
We have used Verizon Mi-Fi all over the US with zero problems except Sam A Baker State Park in Missouri. They have limited cell signal. I bought the Wilson Sleek and used it last time there and got better (not good) cell signal. The park had wi-fi so I just used theirs while there.

I'am about to do the same as above. I don't download large files and usually only use my internet to surf and e-mail. We are not on the road and it's between the house and the onsite 5er. I'm not sure if I'll even take the Direct tv to the camper.

07 Cameo F35FD3
The Black Cloud

nitrohorse

pa

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/12 01:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use T-Mobile Mifi. It has 4G speed where available and is $35.00 for 3.5g's. The plus is that the
3.5g's are good for 2 months vs. many of the non contract provider's one month window.

Edited for spelling

* This post was edited 06/20/12 04:56pm by nitrohorse *

Kalabin

Alaska

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/21/12 01:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The biggest dis-advantage of mifi is shared bandwidth and higher latency / jitter delay. Mifi is a good alternative to some people that typically only check e-mail and browse web sites. However for voice / video calls a land line will win every time.

It's all about what your expectations are. Mifi hotspots have VERY limited monthly usage compared to land lines. As an exmaple I have used 18GB on my home connection this month doing very little use based on my normal usage (sometimes excess of 80GB).

2013 F150 Ecoboost, FX4, Crew Cab, Max Tow, 402A Package "loaded"

jcpainter

Crossville, TN

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/12 02:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AkJason wrote:

The biggest dis-advantage of mifi is shared bandwidth and higher latency / jitter delay. Mifi is a good alternative to some people that typically only check e-mail and browse web sites. However for voice / video calls a land line will win every time.

It's all about what your expectations are. Mifi hotspots have VERY limited monthly usage compared to land lines. As an exmaple I have used 18GB on my home connection this month doing very little use based on my normal usage (sometimes excess of 80GB).

When you have multiple devices using your home connection, how do you monitor your usage?

Thank you,
Jean Painter

RTompkins3

Jefferson, MD

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/22/12 11:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jcpainter wrote:

When you have multiple devices using your home connection, how do you monitor your usage?

Thank you,
Jean Painter

We use "XFinity" (Comcast) at home and they have a total usage graph on their web site.

Ralph (W1KDK) and Cathy
2015 LifeStyle LS38RS 5th Wheel
HMC USN(Ret)

Kathy of Arcadia

Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 12/16/12 08:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Using 4G Verizon Jetpack MIFI:
I connected today and phone worked fine. I bought the 4GB access. By virtue of the majicjack plugged in and menu residing on desktop is it drawing the GB usuage. The MIFI is flashing purple which is suppose to mean data usuage, I thought? I wanted to have the phone plugged in to ring for incoming calls. What did you find happening?
I am layperson so go easy on the tech terms for me? lol
Kathy traveling in AZ

wintersun

Monterey

View Profile

Posted: 12/16/12 11:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With Millenicom you can use the service with no contract and if you buy a modem or mifi device you can restart the service very easily when you need it. If it works at the farmhouse then you can eliminate the DSL and use your cell phone for voice and the mifi for data. The slowest cable connection is going to be 10x as fast as mifi/EVDO.

We found that using a Cradlepoint 802.11n router with our USB modem installed we got much better signal strength as the modem was able to use the three antennas of the router instead of its tiny internal antenna. Last week I installed a marine antenna on the roof of our camper and its cable feeds down to a RF booster which runs off 12v. From there the antenna cable adapter connects the booster to the EVDO modem. I get overall about 4x the signal strength with this setup. I use the same equipment but with a house roof mounted antenna on a mast when at home. We cannot get cable or DSL or 4G, or cell phone service for that matter where we live which is 5 miles from the nearest town. We are stuck with whatever the local telco, AT&T decides to provide which at this point in time if plain old telephone over twisted pair wires circa 1960.

wittmeba

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/12 03:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

schoaty wrote:

I have hispeed cable at the house and DSL at a small farmhouse that has been in my wife's family for years. We now have a truck camper and will be on the road more, so I'm wondering if I should look into MiFi. The plans seem to offer around 5 GB for $50. Since we don't use netflix, I'm wondering if I should drop the cable and/or the DSL.

Any words of wisdom from those who have used MiFi a lot?

Thanks!

(FWIW, we are in the southeast US and plan to do most of our camping in this area for a while, so the lack of service in some areas is not a concern, yet.)

If I were you Id first try to determine if 4G is available where you will be online the most as 3G is not very good.

Once you determine that, then you could look at Verizon 4620 Mifi or Millenicom for your service.

NRA Member & supporter of the 2nd amendment - over 5,000,000 strong

Firefox® 26.0.1

Log home images - Updated 05/19/2013

Alan_Hepburn

San Jose, Ca, USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/12 04:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kathy of Arcadia wrote:

Using 4G Verizon Jetpack MIFI:
I connected today and phone worked fine. I bought the 4GB access. By virtue of the majicjack plugged in and menu residing on desktop is it drawing the GB usuage. The MIFI is flashing purple which is suppose to mean data usuage, I thought?

I'm not familiar with the Verizon Jetpack - we have the Verizon 4510L. On ours a purple LED signifies a 3G signal, while a greed LED signifies 4G. Other than that when it's flashing it's actually transferring data.

----------------------------------------------
Alan & Sandy Hepburn driving a 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E on a Workhorse chassis - Proud to be a Blue Star Family!
Good Sam Member #566004

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> MiFi instead of cable or DSL?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS