RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RVing in Canada and Alaska: Traveling Canadian Highways??

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska

> Traveling Canadian Highways??

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
PackerBacker

Montreal (Qc) Adirondacks (NY) Myrtle Beach (SC)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/20/12 05:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Beverley&Ken wrote:

PackerBacker wrote:

The 407 does not permit rv's, I got this after enquiring about using it with my motorhome.

We never had a problem using the highway, seen lots of other RVs using the highway. The person that said they donot permit rvs, probablly does not know what an RV is. let alone how they charge for it. Link to 407 etrhttp://www.407etr.com/tolls/rate-chart-complete-2012.html
The 407 etr is a private company not a Provincial Govt agency. Traffic rules are enforced by the OPP (Ontario Provincial Police). The only 407etr vehicles are for highway maintenance, not enforcement.

Beverley and Ken

Let me clarify what the 407 admin folks told me. They said that I could use the highway if I had a transponder on my motorhome otherwise I could be subject to a significant fine. That was in the spring of 2011 ( a year ago) when I inquired about using the 407 to go to Mississauga to visit my BIL. I was also going to have my toad.

... Eric

dieharder

Ottawa, ON

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/20/12 06:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With rates from 45.2 cents/km (72.3 cents/mile) to 48.4 cents/km (77.4 cents/mile) for a single vehicle over 5000kg (11,000lb) (not sure if they consider a MH with TOAD a multi-unit vehicle but, if so, that's even higher), I think it's pretty crazy to take the 407. It works out if you never get the bill, but looks like it'll hurt if you do.

1999 Itasca Sunrise

FC

Tavistock,Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/20/12 07:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We travel the 401 across Toronto many times and other than a few slow downs due to accidents, we have never had a real problem, even on holiday weekends. If you travel through between 11 and 2 on a weekday you should have no real problems. The problem with the 407 is that on the east it ends at a regular north south road.
The signs at the entrance say any vehicle over a certain weight MUST have a transponder.
I would never consider paying over $30 to run the 407.
JM2CW

2003 Georgetown 346DS Ford F-53
2008 Pontiac G6 Toad, Blue Ox Aventa LX
Family Campers & RVers--- Come Camp With Us
www.fcrv.org

Jack_Diane_Freedom

Milton Ontario Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/12 07:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I live in Toronto and avoid the 401 at any cost. The 407 is definitely the way to go, no question. I take my F250 with 35ft TT regularly. If they do charge as a heavy vehicle I just call them and tell them it is a camper trailer and they reduce the bill. I would recommend the 407 unless you like to sit in bumper to bumper traffic on the 401 and if an accident you could sit for hours.

Andrew in Canada

SW ONtario Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/12 09:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PackerBacker wrote:

The 407 does not permit rv's, I got this after enquiring about using it with my motorhome.

There is even a somewhat famous story of trailer getting a bill for using the 407, but not the truck that was pulling it! OR was there a pick up pulling it at all??? mmmmm?

Andrew

2010 Jayco 26 BH TT - Loaded and Ready!
2008 F150 XLT SC 5.4 4x4
1DW 2DD
1BC ( border colllie )

Nvr2loud

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/12 10:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As a regular user of the 407 I will add my .02 cents.

It is very very expense

It is only worth the money during rush hour weekdays

It is a 'longer' mileage route

The trailer plate will be the plate to receive the bill

The toll charges are on top of the once per month account fee of $3.00 plus the non-transponder fee of $3.50 for each time you enter the highway.

From the junction in Burlington to the exit at Hwy 400 north costs me $24.00 per trip. Compare that to $3.15 to travel the entire toll route in New York State from Buffalo to the Pennsylvania State line.

The 407 ETR is always empty because no one can afford to drive on it.

Highway 401 is busy, but very easily travelled with many many lanes. Is very busy between 6:00am - 10:00am and 2:00pm - 8:00pm Monday to Friday

atreis

IN

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/12 04:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

407 is a nice road. You'll get billed for charges, and then emailed regularly with news about changes along the road, construction, and the like (heh). If your trailer is smaller, the charges aren't too bad (not far off of roads like the PA Turnpike) - larger and they get very bad. I'm not sure what the cutoff is, but I'm under it so I use the 407.

401 is (usually, in my experience) a very heavily used road ...

2009 Trail-Sport TS21RBH
2008 Toyota Sienna

budda

Lambertville , Mi 48144

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/20/12 05:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you all for the information! I called to find that for my Mh without a transponder I will be charged $95.oo and $45.00 with. I will be rethinking my route to Quebec. A couple years ago I did travel the 401 west from Cornwell. Toronto was quite busy and I was hoping not to encounter that again! If we do the 401 we will try to traverse Toronto between 1pm and 3pm what I'm hearing it may not be so bad. We do have the RM GPS so hopefully we will be ok thru Montreal,and Quebec. This is totally a new area for us and again we appreciate all your help!

06 Adventurer 38R
Carol, Roy and our Abby cat

gitane59

Ontario, Can

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/20/12 08:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The freeway system across the GTA one of the biggest embarrassments in this country. Today I got back up in a multi mile backup on the 403, a little later go I got turned around trying to get from the 410 to the 403 and onto the west bound 401 and got so confused by the 407 which I can't use with a company vehicle without a transponder all the while dealing with bumper to bumper crazy drivers mid-day for several hours today while I could just feel my blood pressure rising.
I saw drivers tempers boiling over and leading to road rage and multiple drivers cutting each other off with aggressive tailgating behavior intentionally along with the verbal curses flying between drivers.
Very dangerous road system that is a national disgrace.
Living west of the GTA I choose never to travel for pleasure into the GTA or beyond if there is any other possible route or destination.

2003 coleman

toronto

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/12 09:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you want to avoid the 401 through Toronto here is another route:

401 to 403 (Woodstock area) then take the QEW (Queen Elizabeth Way East) to the Don Valley Parkway (DVP). Just don't get back on the 403 in Oakville (it will take you back to the 401). The DVP or commonly refered to as the Don Valley parking lot back to the 401 east and then onwards to Montreal.

You will avoid the bulk of the 401/Toronoto traffic and have a bit more scenic route through the city. Taking the QEW follows the lake for a fair portion, you pass downtown, will see the CN tower, the Dome stadium, etc . Traffic on the QEW and DVP can be heavy at times, but regardless it moves faster then the 401 through the top of the city, especially during rush hour. It may be your best route.

If i was too do the trip this is the route I would take during peak hours. If I was between 11:00 - 2:00 or after 8:00 PM mid week I would do the 401 all the way across, but if you wil be outside these hours the other route is the preferred choice.

2003 Coleman Carmel(gone
2008 Starcraft Antigua 195CK
2011 Ford Explorer XLT w/ tow package

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska

> Traveling Canadian Highways??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts