|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> window awnings

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
Pushin65

Titusville

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/12 04:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How difficult or easy is it to install your own window awnings I worry about drilling holes into the side of the motorhome and having no support behind the holes,comments would be appreciated,thanks

2gypsies

Enjoying the West!

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/12 04:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry, I can't answer how difficult they are to install (although I have seen Camping World having specials onofree installation), however, we love our window awnings and rarely use the big awning. The window are so easy to open and close and you can easily adjust for sun coming in the windows.

Full-Timers for 16 Years
.... Now Seasonal
2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
2014 Chevy Equinox
2004 Jeep Liberty - for our fun

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/12 06:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ebay is a good source and it's an easy DIY as explained above. Be sure to get the J track with it as it can be hard to find.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

04 Monaco Dynasty 42' quad slide
Where am I?
How I tow.

sailor_lou

Connecticut

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/12 05:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I installed three A&E Elite awnings last year and as identified above, it is a relatively simple job. The track at the top has a screw about every inch so catching a structural member isn't critical, the fiberglass holds just fine. I did catch the aluminum framing on both sides of the windows for the arms, but if you don't the kit was supplied with some pretty good size pop rivets to secure them. Overall, if you are even a little bit of a DIYer this is a good job for you.

FWIW, at the time of my purchase Camping World provided the best best price if you include S&H. Good luck.

Lou
05 Travel Supreme Envoy

Obsolete

OnTheRoad

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/20/12 05:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Last year I added 2 more window awnings, one on each side of the bedroom. It is not difficult at all. I did it by myself. Don't be afraid to drill in the outside wall. Just don't go through the inside wall also. If you drill the size hole that the instructions tell you to, the screws will hold tight in the fiberglass. You don't need any kind of anchor. You will also apply some caulking along the top, under the top support strip, before screwing it down with several screws.
It IS a nice upgrade.

National Tropi-Cal - 36'
with Banks PowerPak

paulcardoza

Southeastern Massachusetts

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/12 06:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just did one myself. Carefree window awnings come with self tapping screws so no drilling was necessary. Just measure and level carefully first, put a generous amount of sealant around the mounting holes and up she goes!

Paul & Sandra
New Bedford, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

Clay L

Palisade CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/21/12 09:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i installed three A&E window awning on my coach a few years ago. That was some of the best money I have spent.
I replaced the screws in the kit with stainless steel self tapping screws and used a black butyl tape with adhesive on one side under the rail bracket. I also used butyl putty tape under the bottom arm brackets.
That was done based on info from the guys at Gamblers in Quartzsite where I bought the awnings.They install a lot of window awnings so I figured they knew what they were talking about.

The pop rivets supplied were called Oscar rivets in the instruction sheet and moly rivets by other people. They have slots in the body so the rivet expands on the back side of the fiberglass/luan wall and holds well.
My awnings have been out in some pretty high winds and have done fine.

Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

zmotorsports

Utah

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/12 07:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They are quite easy to install. I put a thin strip of putty tape behind the J channel, then pilot drilled for the Tech screws. Some people don't pre-drill and just use the self drilling screws, I have just had better luck by drilling a pilot hole, personal preference, I feel it stresses the fiberglass less.

After screwed in place I go one step further and use some 3M blue fine-line tape and tape out approx. 1/8"-3/16" from the J channel on the side of the coach, I wipe with a wax/grease remover and then add a small bead of urethan caulk to finish off the installation. This step is not necessary but it does finish it off nice and definately helps prevent black streaking down the sides of the coach. I let is "skin" then remove the blue fine line tape.

The next step is to slide the awning into the J channel and measure/attach the arms of the awning.

I replaced all of our slide toppers last year with the new Carefree Sideout Kover III which incorporates the anti-billowing deflector into them. I also replaced the curbside/bedroom window awning with a matching Carefree window awning. On the streetside of our coach it had the dual slide topper/window awning that extends with the slide and then you pull the topper out more for the window awning. I have never cared for that particular style of topper so I replaced the slide topper with the Sideout Kover III and added a seperate Carefree matching window awning which extends over the dinette and couch. I like it much better and actually use it much more than we ever did the dual functioning slide topper/awning.

Here a few pictures of ours after the installation.

Mike.

2003 Monaco Dynasty/ 26' Haulmark Edge trailer
2011 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> window awnings
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS