|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Workamping Forum

Open Roads Forum  >  Workamping Forum

> Selling on eBay

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
ANewCreation

VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/20/12 10:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Several weeks ago when DH and I were camping we meet a couple who were fulltiming. Both the husband and wife were retired from their jobs but they both had little "side jobs" while on their travels. The man sold a "product" (I won't advertise the name) but it was a good product. The woman sold merchandice on eBay. They said that their "side jobs" provided them with extra income for their travels.

So here is my question; Has anyone ever sold "stuff" on eBay to provide an addition to their income? I am thinking about doing this but I don't know anyone that has actually sold stuff on eBay. I have read most of the tutitorials and watched the videos on eBay so I'm not asking how to sell but if it is worth doing so? Can you actually make money on eBay? I don't want to get rich just make a couple of hundred dollars extra a month. I am willing to take the time to do this right but don't know if it is worth it. I have bought stuff on eBay for years.

Moderators, if this is in the wrong forum...sorry, please move.

Elwoodj

Decatur, Ga

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/12 04:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DW and I set up a on line consignment store. We make a few dollors sometime. The main problem is acquiring the items at a price that leaves room for you to add a profit margin. We get out items from yard sales and estate sales. Once I ended up selling a item for less than I paid for it (not good). Competing with walmart and dollor tree ect. prices is difficult. The good part is that you can set up a small business will little overhead. Good Luck

brent bonnette

Gonzales, La.

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/12 06:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pain in the butt. We did that for awhile and is alot of work. Be sure to package items so they wont break. The buyer will give a good or bad report on you packaging. I had a buyer that broke a collectable. So she bought a replacement from us and upon receiving it she took her broken collectable to the shipper and said it came in damaged. Shipper said there were no evidence of damaged box and seemed to be wrapped properly. But they had to make it good. The buyer then wrote a bad report on us. We had many things for sale and found out it is not worth it. Good luck

Brent

luvglass

Tucson

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/21/12 06:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As Elwood says, selling on Ebay is easy, making money at it is more difficult. The key is to find a something you like looking for and know well enough to spot the buys.

For many years I was a antique dealer specializing in art glass. I made quite a bit of money selling on Ebay. Quit it when we came on the road, got tired of spending all my time at garage sales and antique shops and wanted to see the country.
Good luckl,

Fred Wishnie
2006 Carriage Cameo 35KS3, 2006 Ford F350 diesel dually, fulltimer
See our blog at http://www.mytripjournal.com/wanderingwishnies

hallock5

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/12 07:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have sold for 5 yrs, used clothing (jeans and athletic wear mostly)almost exclusively bought at thrift stores. For example, picked up pair of Under Armour Mens Sz L athletic pants for $4 yesterday, we routinely will net a profit of $15.

When we are in our groove, we probably net $500 extra for spending money--we call it our Give/Live fund, where we can "give" to other charitable causes (besides us) and "live" a fun lifestyle.

2008 Jayco Eagle Superlite 28.5RLS
2002 Ford 4x4 SuperCab 7.3 (Jr International) Diesel

Sad to say, time to sell to a good home.

trickyvic3

Raymond NH.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/21/12 07:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Also don't forget that you will have all the eBay fees as well as the Paypal fees to deal with.

I'm not saying don't do it, just keep this in mind. I've been a eBay seller since 1997 and still do. I can make a few hundred dollars profit per month depending on the mood of my buyers. It is worth it to us, as it gives us a little extra camping/spending money.

Vic

hallock5

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/12 07:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

and Paypal now reporting all income to the IRS,as well, for sellers who sell over $20K and 200 items...

bigdogger

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/12 09:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hallock5 wrote:

and Paypal now reporting all income to the IRS,as well, for sellers who sell over $20K and 200 items...
Good. Run a business you should have to pay taxes like everyone else.

Quartermoon

Houston, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/21/12 09:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our stick & brick business has an Ebay store, and we use it a lot. Just make sure you have all your ducks in a row. Recent (last few years) changes have made Ebay all about the buyers and severely reduced seller's rights. For instance, buyers can leave good/neutral/bad feedback for sellers, but sellers can not leave bad feedback for buyers. _Even if they don't pay._

So it's not like a garage sale, where the buyer is gone and out of your life. Make sure you photograph and describe well, state "as-is", be clear on return policy (Ebay also just forced sellers to honor 30-day return policy), pack well, ship UPS and get signatures, etc.

When things are going smoothly, it's great and easy. But one buyer can really give you a headache.

Also, as mentioned, don't forget both Ebay and Paypal fees. They can add up, and reduce small-profit items to nano-profit items.

2006 Ford F250
2014 Open Range Light 318RL

Sooner Schooner

On a Roll

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/12 09:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While in Las Vegas, we visited garage sales and then sold stuff on eBay. We did this more for entertainment than profit, as we got to explore the city, meet nice people, and actually make a small profit. We were there for three months for the winter and hey, we're retired, what else do we have to do? Have fun with what could be a great adventure.

2008 Damon Tuscany 4076 40' Diesel Pusher

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Workamping Forum

> Selling on eBay
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Workamping Forum

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS