|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions

> 2008 PW Plateau on a 2500 Chassis

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
CASERTA

Ottawa

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/12 02:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have posted a few inquiries on this forum related to the fact that there is a very low Cargo Carrying Capacity 65 kgs -143 lbs on a newer heavier model 2008 PW Plateau on a 2007 (2500) Chassis. This fact has caused PW not to attach rear seatbelts to insure the CCC is not exceeded. I am still drawn to this particular vehicle, warts and all, as it seems still to be available in a market that sees very little used Sprinter RV's available. Can anyone , who may be driving a similar vehicle, please comment as to whether or not they would purchase a 2500 Sprinter vehicle with the inherent limitations. Thanks again for those who have chosen to respond to my previous requests for comment on this issue.

ffjeff

Coloma, CA

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/12 08:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This sounds crazy, but can't you simply switch out the rear axle to a dual. The body is the same. You might need to swap all the wheels and tires to a common size. Cost would be offset if you can find the RV at reduced price due to the low Carring capacity.
There is plenty of info at www.sprinter-source.com on parts interchange and downloadable parts and service manuals.

ffjeff

Coloma, CA

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/12 08:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Try calling the Sprinte Store in Portland, OR. They do MB factory 4WDand ALL wheel drive conversions and work on a lot of the these vehicles. Perhaps they can give you some insite.

CASERTA

Ottawa

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/12 10:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks ffjeff for suggestion of simply installing a dual axle. Phoned Mercedes Benz and they told me they don't do this. The very limited Cargo Carrying Capacity of this particular unit is crazy. I was hoping someone with this newer larger coach on a 2007 2500 chasis could comment as to how they are coping with this limitation. If I don't hear anything to change my mind, I will probably pass on this particular opportunity and wait for something with a dual axle.

Fastpaddler

Vancouver Island,BC

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/13 10:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Caserta

I have a 2006(2007 build) PW Plateau TS with single rear axle. I carry a Gearspace 34 cargo carrier which allows a total weight of 500 lbs including the cargo unit which is 120lbs.I carry about 100 to 120 in mine. More than that would likely cause some front end oversteering in my view. I keep 55lbs front and 80 rear as recommended but might go to 60 front if I notice any change from a normal understeer. These Sprinters can pull their weight. THe hitch has a 500 lb tongue weight and I can pull up to 5000 lbs.I am curious what you intend to do with yours. I sent you a Private message just now.I see later on you are looking at a 2013 ERA and that is a different game altogether.

Al

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions

> 2008 PW Plateau on a 2500 Chassis
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS