|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> LT Tire questions

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
TomG2

Central Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/12 09:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 2012 Silverado 1500 came with P 245/70R17 tires which are okay but some have said that LT tires would make it an even better tow vehicle.
Questions:
1. Can only the two rear tires be upgraded? (I hate to throw away tires with only 4,000 miles on them)
2. Stock wheels okay or are higher pressures required for LT's to perform?
3. What brand? (I am only interested in a highway tread)
4. Any negatives to switching, other than cost?

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/12 09:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TomG2 wrote:

My 2012 Silverado 1500 came with P 245/70R17 tires which are okay but some have said that LT tires would make it an even better tow vehicle.
Questions:
1. Can only the two rear tires be upgraded? (I hate to throw away tires with only 4,000 miles on them) All four tires on your tow vehicle should match for best handling and you WANT good handling when towing.
2. Stock wheels okay or are higher pressures required for LT's to perform? Depends on which weight range LTs you put on the truck as different weight ranges have different inflation pressures. E rated tires as found on 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks would require 80 PSI but Load range D would only need 65 PSI and Load range C would need only 50 PSI. Your truck would be able to handle it's full weight using C rated tires. Load range D would be a pretty good fit (though over-kill) but you would be limited to only a few brands since D rated tires are not plentiful. Lots of choices for load range E but is a BIG time overkill for weight carrying ability and the stiffness of the ride would be MOST pronounced with E rated tires. Have your tire store check your wheels to be sure they can handle maximum inflation for the tires you put on.
3. What brand? (I am only interested in a highway tread) There are LOTS of good brands so pick your favorite. I like Cooper discover HT (highway tread) but have also had excellent luck with BF Goodrich and Michelin.
4. Any negatives to switching, other than cost? Some LT tires will have a bit harsher ride than your passenger car tires but you soon get used to them. Better handling and more stability more than make up for the ride quality.

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/12 10:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would replace all 4, sell them on craigs list. replace them with LT "C" rated tires. no need to put "D" or "E" rated tires on a 1/2 ton. you will never see the load they are rated to carry. the "C`s" will give you better control when towing and ride better than the D and E rated tires. I put "C`s" on my old Dodge conv. van and never wished I went to anything more.

Go with "C"`s.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 12yrs
Daughter Marissa 11yrs
Dog Shadow

07 Cherokee 32B
02 Excursion 4X4 V-10 4.30 gear 5Star tuner Y-pipe mod Hellwig sway bar
Reese HP dualcam Prodigy brake controller

A bad day of camping is
better than a good day at work!

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/12 10:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a friend put E michelins on his GM similar to yours a few years back. He was shocked he easily got 100,000 miles out of them and he said the ride was much more stable. Well worth the money.

2011 Ram Laramie Longhorn 3500 Dually Long Bed, Cummins 350/800 HO, Towin Machine
B&W Companion Hitch, Maghytec Trans and Rear Dif Covers, AMZ/OIL Top To Bottom
2007 1/2 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 27,000# Combined

CKNSLS

Northern Utah

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/12 10:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can put LTs on the rear only if you don't wish to rotate the tires. Also tires rated "XL" are also an option. Also, LTs will make the truck ride different. It really all depends if you use your truck as a daily driver.

Personally, if you don't like the handling when towing look at the options. If your towing once a month, stick with the P rated or look at the "XLs" if they are available.

Mafman

Qc

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/12 10:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

I would replace all 4, sell them on craigs list. replace them with LT "C" rated tires. no need to put "D" or "E" rated tires on a 1/2 ton. you will never see the load they are rated to carry. the "C`s" will give you better control when towing and ride better than the D and E rated tires. I put "C`s" on my old Dodge conv. van and never wished I went to anything more.

Go with "C"`s.

X2 on that.

Also, my 1500 came with LT "C" rated Firestone Transforce ATs which were absolutely fantastic. They did well for hauling as well as for city driving, off road to the hunt camp and were impressive in the snow. They also had plenty of tread left on them when i traded the truck at 60 000kms (37000miles)

2013 Avenger 28BHS
2009 Puma 19FS
2012 GMC 2500 6.0L- 3:73
2009 GMC Sierra 5.3L - 3:42
EAZ Lift - proStar Ultra
DW, 2 DKs

SoCalDesertRider

Arizona desert

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/12 05:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can choose to change out only rear tires if you want. There is no harm or foul in doing so. However, you will get more handling benefit from changing out all 4, since the stiffer side walls will help at both ends of the truck.

Yes, you need to verify the pressure and weight rating of your stock wheels and compare them to the pressure and weight rating of the tires you want to mount on them. LT-C tires would be the closest match for pressure and weight rating.

Most stock wheels made for P tires are rated way too low in both pressure and weight rating to be able to use an LT-E tire at it's max pressure and full weight rating. The LT-D tire falls between the LT-C and LT-E for both pressure and weight rating.

The above assumes we are talking about tires that are all similar in size to the original tires. Weight rating of tires is greatly affected by their size.

05E350 6.0PSD
97F350DRW 7.3PSD 4x4 4.10 11' flatbed
98Ranger
69Bronco ATC250R CR500
20' BigTex flatbed carhauler
Callen Camper

92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6
B&W TurnoverBall, Curt Magnum V
HD Springs Bilsteins,
285/75-16E BFG AT on 16x8 Stocktons
4.56's & LockRite rear

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/12 09:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I want to know does anyone know of a wheel that has had a problem being over inflated? Example 16" rim with E rated tire 80 psi max wheel, install G tire and inflate anywhere from 80-110#.

I did exactly that on My Avion went several thousand miles with no problems.

SoCalDesertRider

Arizona desert

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/12 09:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

I want to know does anyone know of a wheel that has had a problem being over inflated? Example 16" rim with E rated tire 80 psi max wheel, install G tire and inflate anywhere from 80-110#.

I did exactly that on My Avion went several thousand miles with no problems.
There are lots of things in life that you can do dead wrong and somehow get away without a problem. However, you can also have a big problem by doing the same thing. Take your gamble.

Why would someone knowingly choose to run their wheels at a pressure that exceeds the design capacity of the wheel? Just get the right wheel for the job and be done with it. Wheels are not that expensive, compared to the cost of the trailer and truck.

It always amazes me that folks will spend $50-100K on a truck/trailer combination but not be willing to spend a few hundred on the proper equipment to tow it with. That's just stupidity right there.

APT

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/12 10:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What exactly are you trying to improve? While LT tires may be better for your situation, they will cost $1000/set too. I would not do it until the current one wear out.

LT load range C are all you need, but not every tire is made in P, LT C,D, and E range. In fact, there are few LT C tires made any more. Most people just run lower tire pressure in LT E. There is nothing wrong with running 40psi in a Lt E tire or LT C or D. They have plenty of load capability at that pressure to handle half ton ratings. I recommend a better performing LT E tire over a worse performing LT C. I also recommend lighter tires. LT E will weigh more than your current tires. 15 pounds will be noticeable in terms of power while towing, so you will trade some power for stability. Some are only 3 pounds heavier than P rated tires.

Stick to stock size, again for minimizing power loss due to weight and effective gearing. Keep your stock wheels. They are probably not rated for 80psi of an LT E range tire, but you'll never need 80psi either. 50-55psi max for towing, down to 35-40psi for unloaded driving regardless of load range.

Ignore tire brands. Every tire manufacturer makes junk tires and good to great tires. I recommend using Tirerack's reviewer survey data and ranking within each category. You will notice the Goodyear and Bridgestone have models near the top and bottom for example.

A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2012 VW Passat TDI

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> LT Tire questions
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts