|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Gas engine installation in a typical Class A

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Geocritter

Somewhere on the road less traveled...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/22/12 02:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm going to be in the market soon for a Class A motorhome. Knowing my budget, I may end up purchasing something that needs a new engine (such as a 454 or 460 V8). On the typical 80's to 90's vintage motorhome, how does the engine normally go in? I'm thinking from the front with the grill and radiator removed, but I suppose it could go in from underneath or even through the cab with the proper made-for-purpose hoisting equipment.

I'm 64 and though I'm a geologist by profession, I've worked on cars all my life (I even worked as a mechanic while in college) and have numerous engine swaps under my belt, I've just never worked on a class A motorhome.

Steve

hottubkid

SCHAUMBURG,IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/22/12 02:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The whole front comes off. Radator, Hood, and then start taking parts off. On mine the short block when in and the rest was replaced around the engine

hottubkid60193@yahoo.com
2004 SOUTHWIND 36E Tow 2003 CRV

mike brez

milford ct

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/12 02:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Up through the dog house and out the side door. I think Daveinet has some pics from when he replaced his.

1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna Single slide
Gillig chassis with a DT466 330hp

nelson

Clio,Mi USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/22/12 02:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I put one in the side door of my first MH GM 454 Not an easy fit but I had a 1/2 clearance. After getting it in the hole it took two hydraulic jacks under the motor hanging on a hoist I rigged on a front end loader to get the motor lined up. It's a job that can be done but it's much harder then dropping a motor.

2002 Damon Challenger 348 Ford V10
Blue Ox Auto Stop and Aventa II Tow Bar
2001 Ford Sport Trac with Remco Driveshaft Disconnect

RV-1/2n-FUN

FL.

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/12 02:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mike brez wrote:

Up through the dog house and out the side door. I think Daveinet has some pics from when he replaced his.

Remember those pictures from some time ago. Pretty cool.

Geocritter

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/22/12 04:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Years ago, 1974 I believe, I replaced the engine in a 1969 Ford E150 Van. I was pretty broke at the time so I lifted the van up slightly, took off the front wheels, and then put concrete blocks under the engine. I pulled the cylinder head (it was a 6) and put a chain on the engine. I removed the mounting bolts, hose etc and then stood over the bare lock, straddling the engine compartment, and lifted it out, putting the old engine in the back of the van. Next I took the new engine, removed the head and with a chain bolted to the top I carried it over the engine compartment and while straddling the compartment I lowered it onto the concrete blocks, bolted it up, and put everything back together. I could see such a plan for a motorhome except for several realities’
(1) I’m sure even a bare block 454ci V8 is a good deal heavier than a bare block 240ci 6.
(2) Though I’ve always been pretty strong and durable, I’m not so sure I’m up to the task these days, no matter how much I might work out beforehand (LOL).
However, I suppose a temporary 2X4 framework could be built over the engine compartment to use while lowering the engine in place with a hoist.
Steve

pkunk

Questa, NM

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/12 05:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we changed the 454 out on the '89 Allegro, we disconnected the front suspension as a unit and then dropped the engine out from underneath. Much cleaner then trying to get it out a door and out the front is way too much.

1999 Coachman Mirada 34 ft.V10-F53 chassis
12ft.LR slide-2 gp31 AGM 12V @220AH

Gale Hawkins

Murray, KY

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/12 06:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Finding one with a good transmission and engine will cost less $$$ and take less time.

Geocritter

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/22/12 07:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gale Hawkins wrote:

Finding one with a good transmission and engine will cost less $$$ and take less time.

The thing is sometimes you can save a lot of money. That 1969 Ford E150 Van I mentioned earlier cost me $100 in 1974. The used engine cost me $50. I used it to move from Illinois to california, after the move I easily sold the van for $1,000. So ya, if someone else does all the work it'll cost you, but if you can do it yourself you can save a bundle.
Please folks, I'm aware of the above quoted alternatives but am interested in direct mechanical solutions to my question.
Steve
FWIW I am looking for one with a good engine and trans but am trying to keep my options open as long as I have this mechanical gift/curse.

Gale Hawkins

Murray, KY

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/12 07:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Geocritter wrote:

Gale Hawkins wrote:

The thing is sometimes you can save a lot of money. That 1969 Ford E150 Van I mentioned earlier cost me $100 in 1974. The used engine cost me $50. I used it to move from Illinois to california, after the move I easily sold the van for $1,000. So ya, if someone else does all the work it'll cost you, but if you can do it yourself you can save a bundle.
Please folks, I'm aware of the above quoted alternatives but am interested in direct mechanical solutions to my question.
Steve
FWIW I am looking for one with a good engine and trans but am trying to keep my options open as long as I have this mechanical gift/curse.

I saw the shop next door drop a 454 out of the bottom of 1977 P30. It will be a good project. Not sure but I think the owner finally ditched it due to age related house issues after doing the engine and transmission. It may have be wife related too.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Gas engine installation in a typical Class A
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS