RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RV Pet Stop: What to do with pooch?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> What to do with pooch?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
DABAT

SURREY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/22/12 03:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The answer may be obvious, but I need to ask. What do you folks do with your dog while sight seeing on vacation. I have had people say, leave him in the trailer for the day or leave him in the truck while sightseeing. He is a four month old lab. If we were plugged in all the time, the trailer wouldn't be so bad if we made our days out shorter, but without AC, I won't do it. I don't like leaving him in the truck for more than a few minutes at a time. What do you all do?

09 F350 DIESEL CREW CAB
08 JAYCO 26BHS G2
02 ADVENTURER 90FWS

SooperDaddy

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/12 03:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Depends completely on the dogs temperment...some just can't tolerate being left alone.

We take our Golden Retriever with us when checking out the area..unless it would be inapropriate.

She and our last dog...a Sheltie, merely sleep when we leave them alone.

Your lab is still rather young to be trusted alone I think, it may start tearing stuff up if it gets bored. Or barking!

My posts shouldn't be taken for factual data, and are purely fictional, for entertainment purposes, should not be constituted as related to scientific, technical, engineering, legal, religious, spiritual, or practical advice. After all it's FREE! Amen.

chuggs

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/22/12 03:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We take our dogs for a long walk in the morning and evening when the temperature is lower. During the day they mainly hang out inside with us...

IF we go out sightseeing...we give them a treat and place them in their crates. Shades pulled, music on the stereo, lights off. They eat their treats and take a doggie nap.

For peice of mind...we have an alarm system set-up inside the camper. It consists of a Freeze Alarm, a PhoneLynx (bluetooth bridge), and a Cellphone (bluetooth enabled). It will call us IF we have a power outage, or the temperature goes above our programmed setpoint. We can also call-in for a status report to see what the temperature is, and confirm the power is on...

mockturtle

WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/22/12 03:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't leave my dog any longer than four hours and have never left him without AC if it's at all hot. The Fantastic Vent does a pretty good job in mild weather. As others have said, shades drawn and a radio, on.

2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/12 03:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I didn't want to be WITH the dog, I'd leave her at home.

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

mockturtle

WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/22/12 04:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

skipnchar wrote:

Well, Skip, there are people who live in their RVs, at least part time, who have to go places without their pets from time to time. Perhaps you take your dog to the doctor or dentist with you or into the grocery store.

downtheroad

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/12 04:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On a rare occasion that we were going to be gone for the entire day, or if we didn't trust the power system and feared that the A/C might fail or for whatever reason....we have left ours in a local boarding kennel for the day..(day care). Once we even left them at a local vet clinic who had short term boarding facilities.
Both were inexpensive.

The "girls" always came first.

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

GMC Duramax LBZ
Komfort
Reese Dual Cam HP

remoandiris

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/12 04:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mine are crated in the 5er just like they are crated at home.

2011 GMC 3500 Dually
New to me 2006 Jayco Designer 38RDQS
2 Boxers and a Maine Coon

DABAT

SURREY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/22/12 04:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

skipnchar wrote:

Thanks for the constructive advice, but if I didn't want to be WITH the dog, I would leave him at home. However I do want to be WITH the dog, but unfortuantely, the dog cannot always be WITH me while sight seeing some places. I also have kids, they like things like zoos. I have yet to be at a zoo that allows pets.

DABAT

SURREY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/22/12 04:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

downtheroad wrote:

On a rare occasion that we were going to be gone for the entire day, or if we didn't trust the power system and feared that the A/C might fail or for whatever reason....we have left ours in a local boarding kennel for the day..(day care). Once we even left them at a local vet clinic who had short term boarding facilities.
Both were inexpensive.

The "girls" always came first.

Thanks, thats great info. Is it an easy process to have a pet checked in at a boarding kennel?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> What to do with pooch?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS