|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Trouble disconnecting tow bar

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Jack&Kay

Santa Rosa, Ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/22/12 08:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Help! I am having a problem each time I disconnect the tow bar from my car. I have an Blue Ox Aladdin attached to a Roadmaster baseplate. The baseplate uses an adapter that goes from each connector bar, (on the car) tying them together and that's what the tow bar attaches to. After our 200 miles drive today, I had a heck of a time getting the pins out that attach the tow bar to the adapter. They seem to be binding and I'm not sure how to free them up. I know there are latches on the tow bar and I could release one, but that didn't seem to help. BTW, I'm new to to towing the car. We just had it rigged to tow last month and this was our longest trip. (2 days @ 200 miles) I did manage to get disconnected, by driving the pins out, but I don't want to keep doing that. What are we, (me) doing wrong? I put on the car's emergency brake and then we took it off to see if moving the car a little would help. (not much) I have only unhooked four times and 50% of the time it was difficult. I would appreciate any advice on the best way to do this given my set up.

Jack & Kay
2007 Tiffin Allegro 28DA
Ford Chassis V-10
Blue Ox Tow Bar to a 94 Honda Accord
FMCA #F341229

othertonka

Stockton, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/22/12 08:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is the dingy straight behind the MH when attempting to unhook? It should be.

Othertonka
2004 Southwind 32VS 8.1 Workhorse chassis
2002 CRV Toad
U. S. Gear Unified brake system
Retired Fire Captain, SFD

Dutch_12078

Currently at Gilbert Lake SP, Laurens, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/22/12 08:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With the e-brake on, try releasing the two latches on the tow bar arms, and then moving the car a few inches forward to relieve the tension on the pins. If the tension is against the tow bar, rather than pulling on it, just releasing both latches with the e-brake on will likely be enough.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Bumbie

El Cajon, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/22/12 08:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used to have the same issue when towing our jeep. Now I try to make sure the mh and jeep are on level ground and as straight as possible. If the pins still seem to bind I start the jeep and turn the steering wheel 1/4 - 1/2 turn either direction. This is just enough to release the pins. If the pins are still tight, just turn the wheel the other direction.

'05 Safari Simba 33' and loving every minute!!!!

garym114

Bluff Dale, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/12 09:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unlatch the lock on both tow arms and drive the car up a couple of inches. Put car in park. This should remove all load and tension on the arms.

2000 Sea Breeze F53 V10 - CR-V Toad
Some RV batteries live a long and useful life, some are murdered.
Get a Digital Multimeter and Learn How to Use It

univmd

Maryland

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/23/12 04:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Put the car in park, with emergency brake off, turn steering wheel all the way. Try unhooking. Turn steering all the way the other way. Should unhook.

2008 Gulfstream Tourmaster
2011 Honda CRV
Blue Ox Baseplate & Socket Wiring
Blue Ox Alladin Tow Bar
US Gear Unified Tow Brake

gotsmart

Aberdeen, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/23/12 05:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the Roadmaster Falcon 2 (not the All-Terrain version). If the MH is on an uphill slope and have to unhook the toad I have been known to start the car, put it in Drive, and gently accelerate to push the car into the towbar. Then with the foot STILL on the gas pedal I then set the park brake and then step on the brake pedal - and then I take my foot off of the gas pedal. The idea is not not have the car rock backwards when you're done as this'll just put the car's weigh back onto the tow bar.

If the MH is facing downhill and I have to unhook the toad I do the above except I put the car in Reverse. When I'm done I don't want it to roll forward and put its weight back on the tow bar.

I have also used the tow bar's breaker-bar to put the the metal loop on the pins and use both hands on the breaker-bar to pull the pin by the loop - out of the base plate - to disconnect the tow bar arm.

2005 Cruise America 28R (Four Winds 28R) on a 2004 Ford E450 SD 6.8L V10 4R100
2009 smart fortwo Passion with Roadmaster "Falcon 2" towbar & tail light kit - pictures

bigred1cav

ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/24/12 11:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jack&Kay wrote:

Help! I am having a problem each time I disconnect the tow bar from my car. I have an Blue Ox Aladdin attached to a Roadmaster baseplate. The baseplate uses an adapter that goes from each connector bar, (on the car) tying them together and that's what the tow bar attaches to. After our 200 miles drive today, I had a heck of a time getting the pins out that attach the tow bar to the adapter. They seem to be binding and I'm not sure how to free them up. I know there are latches on the tow bar and I could release one, but that didn't seem to help. BTW, I'm new to to towing the car. We just had it rigged to tow last month and this was our longest trip. (2 days @ 200 miles) I did manage to get disconnected, by driving the pins out, but I don't want to keep doing that. What are we, (me) doing wrong? I put on the car's emergency brake and then we took it off to see if moving the car a little would help. (not much) I have only unhooked four times and 50% of the time it was difficult. I would appreciate any advice on the best way to do this given my set up.

Get a rubber mallet and place the pins so the clip goes on the outside. When the pin is difficult to remove give it a whack with the mallet, it will pop out the other side no problem.

Be sure to have the brake on or be prepared to chase the toad down.

robatthelake

Vancouver Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/12 07:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For the life of Me I just don't understand why You folks insist on those style of hitches.
It Takes Me aprox 30 Seconds to unlock and Release My Old Fashioned Roadmaster Stowmaster Hitch.

I can remove it quickly from the front of the Toad and it can be reattached and Stowed on the Ball Hitch or just placed in a storage bin while Camping for a longer stay. For Short term I just leave it folded on the Toad with a Neat cover over it!

It Comes off the Ball everytime without any binding and regardless of whether the Vehicles are level or in a straight line.

Attaching is just as simple and there is no sitting down in a puddle or bending over to slide those Pins into the Holes! And Never have I needed to Hammer anything to make it fit or release!

OBTW I installed the Base Plates Myself in about an Hour. But That's on a Simple little Geo Tracker.

Tow Bar Purchased Used on E-Bay $85.00 Roadmaster Stowmaster (Like New)
Base Plates ..Cloned by a Local Welder $50.00 the Pair
Safety Cables purchased at Canadian Tire $30.00 the pair

In addition I used some good galvanised Chain and few Connecters to make backup safety attachments to the frames of Both Vehicles.

Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

gotsmart

Aberdeen, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/12 11:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The answer is simple in my case.

1) The front suspensions on small cars like this can't sustain the load that a car-based tow bar puts on it. One can't stow the tow bar across the front of the car. It's bad enough that I leave the brackets and crossbar on my car. If I had the weight of the tow bar on the front of the car the car would be nose-diving when I brake. Plus, I'm lazy and a hitch-based tow bar easily stows on the back of the MH.
2) With many RVing couples you'll find cases where 1 person is doing all the work (connecting/disconnecting the toad, parking the MH, leveling it) and the other person isn't even supervising. It is an easy operation for 1 person to connect a toad to a hitch-based tow bar without assistance. Dropping a tow bar onto a hitch ball is a lot easier when you have a spotter.

* This post was last edited 08/19/12 02:54pm by gotsmart *   View edit history

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Trouble disconnecting tow bar
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS