|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> mainaince for wheel bearngs

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
oldbeek

lancaster CA

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/12 06:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Front wheel bearings on your truck get greased how often? At brake pad change? 50,000 miles and 4 years? You do the math. Use hi quality Lucas grease and don't mess with them yearly. When you do lube them, the bearing should be completely cleaned and the inside race should be inspected. The inside race is where the first wear will show up.

1994 27sl Alpenlite, 2001 Dodge Cummins auto 3.54 stock

cabanaman

florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/23/12 07:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

oldbeek wrote:

Front wheel bearings on your truck get greased how often? At brake pad change? 50,000 miles and 4 years? You do the math. Use hi quality Lucas grease and don't mess with them yearly. When you do lube them, the bearing should be completely cleaned and the inside race should be inspected. The inside race is where the first wear will show up.
My 2000 dodge durango still had the original bearings untouched when I sold it with 248,000 miles.Had it since new for 10 years.

Retired Navy
2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad cab 6.7 cummins,6 speed auto,exhaust brake. Emissions removed.
2007 Open Road 378SA4S-5,equa-flex and morryde X factor,wet bolt kit,michelin ltx M/S 2 tires

Ts1

Home

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/24/12 05:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

phillyg wrote:

I don't worry about the mileage. I think every two years is okay. Purchase an inexpensive infrared thermometer and check your bearing and tire temps at every stop (and check your tow vehicle tires, too). What you're looking for are inconsistent temps. If three of four bearings are 140 degrees and one is 180, you need to check the one with the high temp at your earliest convenience. As I recall, bearing temps higher than 200 degrees are critical and should be dealt with immediately.

Interesting - I started playing around with this ir thermo on exhausts several years ago, started using on trailer and truck hubs just this year on my '11 fuzion 360. Never thought about it until recently.

But, my Fuzion triple axle at around 16k lbs, runs at 120 max at the hub through the wheel less than a minute after stopping. Weird is that the drivers side seems to be always about 8-10 degrees cooler.......tanks are centered, not on either side. Water in rear.....

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> mainaince for wheel bearngs
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS