RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Went from Class A to TT...have some issues....

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Went from Class A to TT...have some issues....

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
misteramx

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/12 10:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A few years back, I ran a class A motor home. Since then, I have aquired a 1995 Cobra Sandpiper 27 TT that is in mostly good shape. We took it out for it's maiden voyage last week and disocvered a few issues. That's why the maiden voyage was only 11 miles from town...so we could make parts runs, haha!!

Anyhow, figured most of the issues out, but a few remain...

1) The a/c unit...the breaker was put into the on position, and the a/c blows artic. And the thermostat will shut the fan off...but not the compressor...it will continue running until I shut the breaker off.

2) The magic chef 4 burner stove. Lights fine, even flame, no indication of bad elements in any of the 4 elements. However, none of the elements can actually get hot enough to boil water??

3) The black water indicator shows "full"...even after draining the tank. I'm going to run it half full with water and ice and see if that frees up the sensor, run it an hour or so. Is there anything I can put in there as well to maybe free this sensor up??

Had a blast the first day out, this thing is huge for just the two of us...we may even go even full time in it!!

Thanks all!

Fire Instructor

Upstate (Albany) NY Area

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/12 11:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1) Sounds like a burned-out relay or circuit board. The fan is getting the "off", but the compressor isn't. More than likely, something for a technician to troubleshoot.

2) Does anythine else that runs on propane run properly? (water heater or furnace?) Could be a bad regulator.... Also look for any damage or kinks in the copper running to the stove.

3) Very common for these not to function properly. All it takes is a small piece of toilet paper to stick to the probe to get a bad reading. A Tornado Flush does a pretty good job of rinsing down the tank, and wash-off the probes.

Fire Instructor

2014 Ram Laramie w/6.7L Cummins Diesel
2009 Rockwood 2607
300 Watts of SunTech Solar Panels
Rogue MPT-3024 Controller & Xantrex PW2000 Inverter

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking!" General George S. Patton

misteramx

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/12 11:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks Fire Instructor....

1) I'll have to take it in for that, dont' want any permanent damage or fire issues.

2) Yes, the furnace, water heater, and refrigerator run fine on the propane system. Does the stove have it's own regulator?

3) What is a Tornado Flush??

Thanks for the insight!!

Opie431

Bellevue, MI

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/12 04:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our black water indicator worked for years and began to lie about two years ago. If I press the indicator about three times on the third time it finally comes up with the actual reading.
I do not think of it as not working, I think of it as not telling the truth.

Fire Instructor

Upstate (Albany) NY Area

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/12 11:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All propane appliances are supplied by the same regulator. Is the stove the furthest propane appliance from the tank? If so, look for a kinked or pinched line between the stove and the next closest appliance.

Here's a link to the Tornado Flush.

anaro

Mebane, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/24/12 12:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Only one I can help you on is the tank sensor. Try using geo method (calgon water softener 1 small capful and tide liquid detergent about 1 loads worth.) Added to your water ( I would fill it at least 2/3 for this), drive it around for a bit. Then go in and start flushing the tank w/ a good tank wand or black tank flush kit. After a few tries of this your sensor might start working again.

2014 Silverado 3500 Duramax, SRW, Crew Cab, 4WD
2014 Palomino Sabre 34REQS
2011 Crossroads Zinger ZT26BL - sold after 3 1/2 yrs and 76 nights camped in it!

'tiredTeacher

Richmond, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/24/12 09:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

misteramx wrote:

Does the stove have it's own regulator?

According to an article on propane appliance troubleshooting i read in the June-July issue of Good Sam Highways, some stove tops have their own regulators. I wasn't aware of this, but on page 48 there's a picture of one. You can read the entire article on line here.

Highways

Teach

Wright and Penny
2010 Tundra 4X4
2005 Starcraft 2107
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
"Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows."

dupreet

High Point, NC

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/12 05:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As far as the AC, definitely a control issue. It almost sounds like the wires for the fan and compressor are switched! I wouldn't change them around without getting documentation, but it's a starting point.

In regards to the stove, it sounds like a line or regulator.

The tank sensors are notorious for not working. Unless you have one of the very very few oddball setups with the sink or shower also running to the black tank (very unlikely), you should be able to run for a week with just the two of you. The toilet will start making burping noises to let you know it's getting full...will still have some capacity left!!

Happy Camping!

Todd

Todd

1993 Ford E-350 pushed by a 1988 Wilderness 24' TT

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/12 08:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Geo Method

Louisiana Lady

The South

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/12 08:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thetford Gauge cleaner is what I'm going to try for the black tank gauges. My used trailer is stuck on full too. If that doesn't work with some ice as well, then I'm going to just forget about it. Whatever you do, don't leave this Thetford stuff in the tank overnight. I read that it crystallizes if left over, but that it does work very well.
Mary

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Went from Class A to TT...have some issues....
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS