|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Must JACK UP MY 26FT TT to inspect for mice entry

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
goodluckman60

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/12 11:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Has anyone raised their trailer to inspect underneath for any reason? I bought a jack stand and a jack. I've never done this before. I must see where these mice have entered and plug up the holes.

I plan to raise one side at a time crawl underneath with my flashlight.
Is it better to raise it from the frame or the axel?
Any helpful hints is very welcomed. I am not a natural fix it kinda guy............but I must do these things myself as I do not have the funds to pay an RV dealer!

thank you

SWD

Land of Living Skies

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/12 12:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Its better to have two stands rather than one and four would be ideal. I've used the jack to raise the TT in the middle and have placed the stands under each axle. Using one stand and a jack is pretty unstable.

goodluckman60

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/12 12:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SWD wrote:

Its better to have two stands rather than one and four would be ideal. I've used the jack to raise the TT in the middle and have placed the stands under each axle. Using one stand and a jack is pretty unstable.

So are you saying 4 jack stands is smuch safer? If so where do I place 4 stands? 2 on the axel and 2 on the frame? I just want to jack up one side at a time. I've never even looked underneath before. At the risk of sounding very stupid..............do I have one or 2 axels.........I should just poke my head under and see.

pulsar

Lewisville, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/24/12 04:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moved from Forum Technical Support.

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/12 06:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

At the risk of sounding very stupid..............do I have one or 2 axels.........I should just poke my head under and see.
If you have only 2 trailer tires total, you have a single axle. 4 trailer tires total and you have two axles.

You could also run one side of your trailer tires on some boards and that should get you enough lift to see/crawl inder your trailer..

When I jack my trailer up, I put the jack in the center of the 2 axles I have on the frame and jack it up. I'll place a jack stand on either end of the axles for a total of 2 of them.

This shot does not show my jack stands, but they are on the frame both fore and aft of the axles on the frame as well. But, this is where I put my jack..

Mitch

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2003 Prowler Lynx 722F #5000 GVWR and weighs every bit of it! Happy Camping!

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/24/12 06:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

goodluckman60 wrote:

So are you saying 4 jack stands is smuch safer? If so where do I place 4 stands? 2 on the axel and 2 on the frame? I just want to jack up one side at a time. I've never even looked underneath before. At the risk of sounding very stupid..............do I have one or 2 axels.........I should just poke my head under and see.

How many tires do you have on each side of the trailer? If only one then you have one axle. If two then you have two axles.

Instead of trying to lift up the trailer from the sides, why don't you try raising the tongue via the tongue jack as far as it will go and crawl under the front of the trailer to look for mouse entry spots. Then lower the jack as far as it will go until the coupler is touching the ground. This will raise the rear of the trailer allowing you to crawl under the rear to look. This should be easier than raising it from the sides and using jack stands etc.
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch
2002 Ford F250 Super Duty, 7.3L PSD
Visit our website here

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/12 06:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's a great suggestion Barney! I've done just that when I've needed to work on either the front or the back of the trailer.. K.I.S.(S.)!!

Mitch

* This post was edited 06/24/12 07:05pm by MitchF150 *

usmc616

Orange County, New York

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/12 07:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Or you could just pull up on top of some planks/lynx levelers and then get under the TT.

SEMPER FI
Joe,Joyce 4 kids & 3 dogs
2004 Ford Excursion LTD 4x4 V-10 3.73 Gears, Hellwig Swaybar, Bilstein Shocks & Steering Stabilizer, Roadmaster Active Suspension, Super Duty Tow Mirrors
Reese Dual Cam & Prodigy Brake Controller
2010 Jayco G2 32BHDS.

goodluckman60

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/12 08:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MitchF150 wrote:

That's a great suggestion Barney! I've done just that when I've needed to work on either the front or the back of the trailer.. K.I.S.(S.)!!

Mitch

Great suggestion Barney!
Must I take up the 4 feet on each corner that stabilizes the trailer?

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/12 10:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes.

Mitch

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Must JACK UP MY 26FT TT to inspect for mice entry
Search:   Advanced Search