RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class B - Camping Van Conversions: Running your generator

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions

> Running your generator

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
amacrae

New Hampshire

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/12 05:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sch911 wrote:

NewsW wrote:

For that short a load time and wattage, do you have enough juice left in the batteries to run the converter?

What good would that do? I'm sure you meant Inverter right? Converter=120V to 12V, Inverter=12V to 120V. Keep em straight man....

Thank you, Mr. Engineer! I guess we all knew what he meant.

Alan
2007 Roadtrek RS Adventurous
FMCA F386555
W1ALM

Gau 8

United States

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/12 07:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They suuuuuck!!

Gene in NE wrote:

What is wrong with -

Use above with boiling hot water on the stove just like the tea drinkers.

M GO BLUE

Southgate, MI

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/12 07:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I go by if I am boondocking and you choose to park near me or next to me I reserve the right to run my generator when I want for whatever reason I want...

...and to answer the question when we wake up (usually around 7:00am) we run the generator while we are making coffee, breakfast and taking showers

2005 Chevy Silverado 3500 dually CC/LB Duramax/Allison
2008 Jayco Designer 35RLTS fifth wheel
Onan 5500W Marquis Gold gas generator (HGJAB - 1038D)

smkettner

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/12 03:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Make coffee at 4a if you like.... just use a percolator like your parents did.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675 watts solar
Send a PM if I missed something

Escargot

California

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/12 08:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

How early do you get your coffee going in the morning as a rule? Should we be cooking at 6:00, 7:00, or 8:00? Thanks!

I make my coffeee pretty much as soon as I get up. Boil water. I use Melitta cone and filter. Fresh. Easy. Efficient. Quiet.

If you need your fix before quiet hours have ended, try making it the night before and storing in a thermos til morning as someone else has mentioned. Or, try one of the 'quieter' methods for your first cup. Or, just sleep-in later.

2006 Pleasure Way Plateau TS, MB Sprinter

Roadtrekker2

Henry County, Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/12 02:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We always pay attention to the "rules" of using generators in non-electric campgrounds (usually 8 to 10 and 6 to 8) and never turn it on til after the stated time in the morning. I was speaking of boondocking in a Walmart lot or any other place where there are no "rules." We have driven to a Rest Area, picnic area, or stopped beside the road to cook our coffee, but was just wondering how the rest of you make it. Turning on the propane stove really heats up our small B camper fast, and we've already tried the Melitta drip & can't stand instant coffee. A thermos does not keep coffee hot. I've tried many tricks including sewing the grounds into a filter (didn't work and was so messy!) I just hate coffee with grounds in it, too, and trying to get rid of them in a camper is just too scary. Sorry, we're Swedish and a hot cuppa from a little electric pot is mandatory! We'll just keep driving to the next Rest Area, I guess.

* This post was edited 06/25/12 03:01pm by Roadtrekker2 *

Handbasket

Asheville, NC

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/12 03:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you're in a Walmart or other parking lot, or a rest area, where traffic is already / always coming and going, I'd say no problem. But if someone is parked right alongside and showing no signs of being up, I'd probably start the van and idle off a ways first just to be polite. The stock Onan 2800/2500 has a particularly irritating-penetrating tone IMO.

Jim, "With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine."

'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

Davydd

Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/12 03:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Roadtrekker2,

You can buy coffee in sealed filter packs if you don't like dealing with the grounds. They are pretty common in office settings when office workers are not going to deal with disposing of grounds either. They are also very common in hotel rooms. I can't recall if they are sold in grocery stores. I never looked. Didn't even think about them until you mentioned sewing the grounds into a filter.

The Starbucks instant coffee packs are a lot better than the traditional instant coffees. We carry them just in case we want a cup of coffee without messing with our French press, but they are rather expensive in my opinion.

Davydd
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter B Camper Van
Visited states in an RV

gerrym51

unknown

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/12 03:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Coleman has a stove top drip coffee maker

Gau 8

United States

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/12 03:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Post your schedule so we can all avoid you please!

M GO BLUE wrote:

I go by if I am boondocking and you choose to park near me or next to me I reserve the right to run my generator when I want for whatever reason I want...

...and to answer the question when we wake up (usually around 7:00am) we run the generator while we are making coffee, breakfast and taking showers

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions

> Running your generator
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS