|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Upgrading interior lights

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Snowwolfe

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/12 04:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Any suggestion to either change the bulbs out to a brighter one (maybe led?) in the ceiling light fixtures or go to a different fixture?

The one's in our RV have those twin bulbs in them and they are ok, but would like something brighter and whiter looking.

SoakedKarma

Reno neh-va-duh

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/12 04:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lots of LED lamps with BA15s base likely to fit the bill

Bath fixture with 2 corn and one 30mm wafer LED assemblies.

wafer assy uses a G-4/MR11 to BA15s adapter..

Super Bright LEDs is a page to start looking at.

I tend to stay with assemblies which use the 5050 led chip.
And buy from china at half the price....

converted 11 fluorescent fixtures to LED

HHIDUDE

Hilton Head Island SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/24/12 04:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just installed 4 LED packs and the are much brighter and whiter, but $17 each. EWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649">On ebay Would like to find somthing cheaper and as good.
Ron

Ron
Enjoy It while It Lasts, Cause It Never Does
05 Travel Supreme Select 45"
2004 Honda CRV
Pressure Pro

driveby

Vancouver BC Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/12 05:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

we converted to LED in teh same colour range as teh previous bulbs (2700-3200).

Starlightsinc.com and LEDTrailerlights.com were my two sources.

My batteries no longer take a hit no matter how badly my kids and DW abuse the lights. I don't stress about it and we all have a nicer weekend

2008 Itasca Sunova 35J Class A
1997 TJ Sahara, hard and soft tops and AC
Held together via Roadmaster Falcon 2 tow bar and stopped by US Gear Unified Brake system.

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/12 07:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

By twin bulbs you may have a light that uses 1156 bulbs and for less than $4 each you can buy these with 102 leds. Much brighter than the 1156 you replace.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

04 Monaco Dynasty 42' quad slide
Where am I?
How I tow.

Snowwolfe

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/12 11:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bulbs in the lights in our RV are labeled 1141's. From reading the link you posted they should work.
For $7.64 for 2 shipped they are worth a try to see how they perform.
Thanks for the advice.

* This post was edited 06/24/12 11:10pm by Snowwolfe *

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/12 06:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, the 1156 and 1141 are the same base. I know you will like them when used with the whitish covers on those lights. I would not recomend using the bright white where you will actually see the bulb... too bluish. I replaced all of the ones in an Airstream I own with the same light fixture. They made a big difference and they will not burn the covers plus they use 1/10th the power.
Nine months ago I paid over $4 for them so the price keeps comming down. I would buy enough to replace the ones you use a lot and then buy more once you're sure you like them. The savings on amps used and heat generated is worth it. I've bought a bunch of LEDs from China and they've all showed up in two-three weeks, usually by air mail.
For those that say "Buy from America" at twice the price, where do you think they are ALL made?

HHIDUDE

Hilton Head Island SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/12 06:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In comparing bulbs I check the light output in lumens. One bulb has 120 leds with 280 lumens and another has 60 leds with 420 lumens. Almost twice the output with half the leds. But higher cost. Make your decision on what light output you want. Also color temperature makes a difference.

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/12 07:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you can solder electronic parts, you can get a 5 meter roll of 5050 12 volt LED lights for less than $20, delivered. The roll can then be cut to any length that you need but you have to solder wires to connect the strips. I got one roll and that was enough to change out every fluorescent light in my coach. These are available in warm white(similar to incandescent light) or cool white(similar to many fluorescent bulbs. I put four strips in each light fixture and am very happy with the light output. These also draw much less amperage from your battery so if you boondock, this will help extend your house battery life.

sofar-sogood

West Palm Beach, Fl

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/12 08:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rgatijnet1 wrote:

If you can solder electronic parts, you can get a 5 meter roll of 5050 12 volt LED lights for less than $20, delivered. The roll can then be cut to any length that you need but you have to solder wires to connect the strips. I got one roll and that was enough to change out every fluorescent light in my coach. These are available in warm white(similar to incandescent light) or cool white(similar to many fluorescent bulbs. I put four strips in each light fixture and am very happy with the light output. These also draw much less amperage from your battery so if you boondock, this will help extend your house battery life.
Where did you find the 5 meter roll at?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Upgrading interior lights
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS