|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Confused about fridge

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
chimeraxp

calgary

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/12 11:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm a bit confused with my fridge ,
in the access panel behind the fridge it has a switch that says 12v or 120v
when I open the fridge it has a propane tag .
but the stove top is located right above the fridge as well is the tag for the stove top ? or the fridge propane .
I have yet to hook any batteries/ gas yet . I want to know whats what before I start down that path .

The TT is a triple E about 1980.

I would post pictures of that fridge but can't get any to load right.

Johnworth914

USA!

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/12 05:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Without seeing it, I would say a TT of that vintage would have had a 2 way fridge--propane and 120V

The 12 V is for the control board. Even when using propane, you need to have 12V to keep the fridge running.

There are 3way fridges as well that operate on your choice of 12v, 120V or Propane. Make and model of the fridge would be helpful to determine what you have.

Alaska is next! Still trying to fit the pontoons to the RV so We can get to Hawaii!

beemerphile1

I'm 58, I'm not a

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/12 07:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like you have a three-way refrigerator like in pop ups. I don't know what you mean by "propane tag". Normally all the controls are in the back of a three-way refrigerator.

A three-way refrigerator can only operate on one source at a time and should only be operated on 12v while towing. 12v operation will kill a battery quickly if it isn't powered by the alternator of the tow vehicle.

A poor man seeks riches, a rich man seeks power, but a wise man seeks contentment.

2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900/1998 Ford E150 4.6L = 8MPG
2009 Aliner Sport/2009 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L = 22MPG

sparkydave

Macedonia, OH

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/12 07:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Johnworth914 wrote:

The 12 V is for the control board. Even when using propane, you need to have 12V to keep the fridge running.

In a 1980 refrigerator? Don't be too sure. I have a 2004 camper, but my 3-way Dometic refrigerator has no control board in it. Just two switches for 12 volt and 120 volt, a thermostat for the 120 volt operation, a gas valve, and a spark ignitor. Does not need 12 volts to run a control board since it has no smarts in it.

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/12 07:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Try it on all three and see how it does. It SOUNDS like a three way fridge (usually very small in size) and the 12 volt option is more of a "holding" feature. Usually doesn't do much at COOLING the fridge but will keep it cool once cooled on other modes. They still make that type of fridge, usually for truck campers, but they are becoming more rare.

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/12 09:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As mentioned. It is a 3 way. It will work off propane, You need to physically light it. It will run off 120. You need to flip the switch to 120. It will run off battery. Just not long, unless your TV is hooked up in such a way to provide 12V to it.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
04 F150, 5.4, Lariat SuperCab
Lazy Campers

chimeraxp

calgary

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/12 09:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ok sounds greats , one day i'll figure out how to post pictures .
but off to work now.

JLTN_James

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/12 10:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is what my 3-way fridge controls look like.

The dial on the left if for the propane and has OFF-HIGH-MED-LOW settings. To light, I set it on the HIGH setting while pushing the dial down to bypass the flame detection safety, then press the red ignitor button just like a BBQ grill at home.
The green rocker switch is for 120Vac operation. The right hand dial adjusts the temperature when in 120Vac setting.
The red rocker switch is for 12Vdc operation. No temperature controls when in 12Vdc operation.

As previously noted, running the fridge on 12Vdc will drain a battery pretty quick. Depending upon the charge line from the tow vehicle, it may even draw on the batter when on the road. I avoid 12Vdc operation like the plague.

2004 Toyota Tundra SR5 (V8, 4WD, TP, TRD)
2005 Fleetwod Allegance with axle flip
Honeywell 2000i Generator

Me, DW, DS, DD, & Chicken-Dog

chimeraxp

calgary

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/12 08:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Went out to the trailer tonight when I got home .
took a really good look at the back side , and low and behold there was a plate with oodles of dirt once I cleaned it all off , it was the lighting instructions .
once I have a few moments to spare I can upload pictures to my Photobucket and go from there , encase any other Canadians pop on here with an older Triple E trailer.

but it does tell me to switch voltage to off before lighting so this leads me to think no 12v needed.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/12 12:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You have a single switch, 2 position (or is it 3) that says 12v 120v

There is such a thing as a 3-way Fridge.. Runs on 12v, 120v or propane.

If that is a 3 position switch, center is likely propane

If it's two, then a switch elsewhere choses Electric or gas, and that one chooses which electric system (12 or 120) leave it in the 120 spot.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Confused about fridge
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: