RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: stove top on propane??

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> stove top on propane??

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
queenoftravel

NJ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/12 06:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi
Yes another newbie question. Is the stove top and oven run on propane? If so, how much do you usually go through if there are no hookups? I am guessing if we have electric hookups then both would run on that? thanks for your help!

beemerphile1

I'm 59, I'm not a

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/12 06:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Stove is LPG and will work for a long time. Oven is an unknown. Some have true ovens that are LPG but many have a microwave or half-time oven which both are electric only.

Like I mentioned on your other thread, holding tank capacity and battery capacity are likely to be your biggest hurdles.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it..."
Judge Learned Hand

2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900/1998 Ford E150 4.6L = 8MPG
2009 Aliner Sport/2009 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L = 22MPG

queenoftravel

NJ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/12 07:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

you mention battery capacity
if we are at a location for three days (no hookups) and have the propane on will this be a problem? Does running the car recharge the battery? As you can see we are kinda clueless about some of the issues.
thanks

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/12 07:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When traveling with my trailer I may go through a 30 lb. bottle a month (warm weather) but two or three during cold. Lp is used to run the furnace, kitchen range, water heater (sometimes) and the outside BBQ grill.

MOST RVs that use LP bottles, have two of them so when one runs out, you still have half of your on board supple. Many also have automatic switching regulators so when one bottle is empty it switches to the second one and signals that it has done so (site glass turns red) so you can remove the empty bottle and have it filled while continuing to use the remaining one.

IF your car is set up to charge the RV then it is possible to charge the batteries using it as a battery charger. IN no way however, will a 300 HP battery charger be an efficient way to charge a battery unless you're traveling and it can do it while you're driving to a new location.

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

Shearwater

NE Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/12 07:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For 3 days or even several weeks propane usage will not be a problem although it is a good idea to monitor tank levels. Battery power, however, will be a significant problem. Obviously the lights, TV, water pump, fans etc. draw power from the battery but it is not so obvious that the propane powered fridge, water heater, and furnace also use a lot of electrical power as well. The fan for the furnace, for example, could deplete a single battery overnight.

Running the car probably would partially recharge the battery but it would take several hours to have much impact - standard lead acid batteries cannot be charged that quickly.

For boondocking there are several solutions:

1. Don't use anything that requires battery power.
2. Have a bank of batteries to give you more amp hours than a single battery.
3. Have another method to recharge the batteries. The most popular is to run a generator but it is also possible to recharge using solar panels.

crimmps49

Wisconsin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/12 07:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have an oven under your stovetop, it most likely is gas as is the stove. I ran mine for 3 weeks along with the fridge and still showed more than 1/2 tank LPG left. Make sure your batteries are fully charged.

Ozlander

Rose Hill, Kansas

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/12 07:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Always check the propane level before you leave home. A lot of people have gotten to the campsite and found out they were out of propane. Not a good thing to have happen.

Ozlander

06 Yukon XL
2001 Trail-Lite 7253

queenoftravel

NJ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/12 07:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

so the other suggestion of charging the battery involves running the generator. How often does the generator have to run if we are going to be using the refrig, sometimes stove top, and sometimes hot water. Basically how long will the battery last and then how long do we have to run the generator to recharge it?

If we do not have anything else on but the refrig what is the time frame for draining the battery using propane?

thanks

amandasgramma

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/12 08:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's our set-up and our usage -- we very seldom camp where we have elec. hook-up....

fridge: 3 way (it can run on battery, elec or propane) --we set it to use propane while camping -- if we set it to battery, it drains the batteries quickly

stove/oven -- propane only -- will not run on electricity

batteries -- we have 2 RV/Marine batteries --- we use lights at night (LED) for maybe 2 hours and run my CPAP machine all night. Batteries will run 2-3 days without needing to be recharged.

A/C & furnace -- can only be run on electricty or generator.

Catalytic heater -- runs on propane - no need for electric hook-up

Generator -- Honda 2000 --- normally takes 2- 3 hours to recharge our batteries. HOWEVER, as we found with this new-to-us rig, if your charging station is archaic, it'll take longer.

Propane tanks -- 1 7# tank -- lasted 2 weeks. Would be determined by how much you use the cat. heater and how much baking and cooking you do.

I think this might cover all your questions

queenoftravel

NJ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/12 08:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ok so if I am understanding correctly if we just use the propane we will not drain the battery. Is this correct?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> stove top on propane??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS