RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Would you volunteer two hours to get free overnight stay?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Workamping Forum

Open Roads Forum  >  Workamping Forum

> Would you volunteer two hours to get free overnight stay?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Kentucky_Joe

Fort Thomas, KY USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/12 10:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am on a fact finding mission. Throwing out an idea for a Christian based charity that we are involved in. We are wondering if there are people out there who would be willing to volunteer at our charity, sorting clothes for about two hours in the morning, if you were able to stay overnight in the parking lot the night before for free. Electric would be the only amenity supplied. The location is ten minutes off the expressway exit and is about 20 minutes from downtown Cincinnati. In otherwards, are there any people out there who think if they were passing through and knew about this opportunity that they would do it. If you think you would be willing to do it, would your main motivation be to help the charity or would the motivation be to get a free overnight stay? The location is in a suburban industrial area.

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/12 10:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Parking lot camping IE WalMart are usually free anyway. But donating my time a few hours a week is nothing for me. Yes I would do it even if there was no overnighting if I was in the area.

Don,Lorri,Max (The Rescue Flat Coat Retriever?)
The Other Dallas

M GO BLUE

Southgate, MI

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/12 10:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NO

When I can overnight for free at Walmart, Cracker Barrel, rest areas, etc. and use the built-in generator don't need the volunteering...

2005 Chevy Silverado 3500 dually CC/LB Duramax/Allison
2008 Jayco Designer 35RLTS fifth wheel
Onan 5500W Marquis Gold gas generator (HGJAB - 1038D)

kalynzoo

Los Angeles , California

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/12 11:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We often volunteer and expect nothing in return. When we (my wife and I or our group of friends) volunteer in our communty we usually also contribute to the cause. Just our thing.
Offering accessable parking for RVs is a great idea. Not asking for payment for the parking is a great idea. Creating a location where contributions can be made to offest the parking expense might be a suggestion.
Good luck and Happy Trials.

beemerphile1

I'm 59, I'm not a

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/12 10:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm sure many people would but it would get more participants if it was offered longer term.

People looking for an overnight stop are usually traveling from point A to point B and don't want to waste time.

If you are in an area that people may want to visit, I'm sure some would be willing to make a commitment for a week, month, or longer. It is called workamping and many charities use workampers.

...a government big enough to give us everything we want is a government big enough to take from us everything we have...
Gerald R. Ford

2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900/1998 Ford E150 4.6L = 8MPG
2009 Aliner Sport/2009 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L = 22MPG

nina_70

On wheels, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/12 11:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

beemerphile1 wrote:

I'm sure many people would but it would get more participants if it was offered longer term.

People looking for an overnight stop are usually traveling from point A to point B and don't want to waste time.

If you are in an area that people may want to visit, I'm sure some would be willing to make a commitment for a week, month, or longer. It is called workamping and many charities use workampers.

That's what I think too. People looking to overnight will likely just choose to stay at Walmart or some other "freebie" spot. There are plenty of free overnight spots for those really looking.

But those interested in longer stays (week, month etc.) would more than likely be prepared to work/volunteer for it.

12 paws, 40-feet and the open road
http://wheelingit.us

JAXFL

Jacksonville, Florida, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/12 11:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"The location is ten minutes off the expressway exit and is about 20 minutes from downtown Cincinnati"

That is not the safest area is it? And do you have 20 or 30 or 50 amp electric to run my AC off your electric? If it is 99% safe, you hae electric I can use and it is for a could of night, possible.

swebber

Bluemont

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/12 11:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Count me in...for two hours of helping ..certainly. I have done more, for less.

Steve Webber
2013 RAM 3500 Dually, 6.7 Cummins and all the bells and whistles
2009 Jayco Eagle 324BHDS "CramalotInn III",Reese DCHP, Atwood 3500, BAL Deluxe Chocks, Weber Baby Q & Q200, Champion 2000W Inverter & 4000W gennie's
My Camping Pic's

TCW

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/12 12:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kentucky Joe,

We volunteer while on the road and know several other RVers that do also. I do tend to agree that a longer term opportunity might get more response. Have you looked at how the RV Care-A-Vanners, MDS RV Program and NOMADS run their programs.

One word of caution, do your home work on applicable laws before you get too far along. Providing electric or other ammenities may be considered providing accomodations or running a campground/RV park and require compliance with applicable regulations (health, zoning, etc). Contrary to what is popularly stated on many RVing forums, inhabiting an RV overnight is NOT PARKING. We have seen organizations run a foul of the law by not taking this into consideration in advance.

Another way to go about this might be to partner with a local campground. You would recruit the volunteers to work X hours for X days, the campground gives a discount or free site which it can write off as a charitable contribution.

Good Luck with your project!!

folivier

Southeast Louisiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/12 11:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd be interested. When traveling we only travel about 4-6 hours then have time to kill when we stop for the night. Be a good use of our time in volunteering, rather than walking around WM. Certainly be less scary........

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Workamping Forum

> Would you volunteer two hours to get free overnight stay?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Workamping Forum

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS