|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Engine oil

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
semiretiredDIY

WA state

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/12 10:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 95 454 non roller engine. I have been using Mobil 1 0-30 wt. recent oil change had 10,000 miles on it. It used about one qt every 3,000 miles. I have 107,978 overall miles on MH. I have a strong magnet on the oil pan plug, if there was any metal to metal problem the evidence would show up on the magnet.

rvrepairnut

bc

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/12 10:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sc3283 wrote:

you do not have a flat tappet cam & lifters. They are hydraulic. So don't get in a big "zinc" worry.

chevy has not put a "flat tappet" camshaft and lifters in a 454 since 1970 for sure and possibly 1971

I think the OP is refering to Flat tappet as hydralic verses the newer rollerized 454 engines.GM only used solid lifter,s in HP model only.not in trucks or motor homes

00 BUCK

NE Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/12 04:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

semiretiredDIY wrote:

I have a 95 454 non roller engine. I have been using Mobil 1 0-30 wt. recent oil change had 10,000 miles on it. It used about one qt every 3,000 miles. I have 107,978 overall miles on MH. I have a strong magnet on the oil pan plug, if there was any metal to metal problem the evidence would show up on the magnet.

Maybe the filter did its job ?

2011 Newmar - VENTANA -- with COMFORT DRIVE
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow bar w/ Roadmaster adapters
AirForce One brake system

Life Member GOOD SAM Club
FMCA Member

If your not the lead dog
the view never changes

wolfe10

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/12 05:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sc3283 wrote:

you do not have a flat tappet cam & lifters. They are hydraulic. So don't get in a big "zinc" worry.

chevy has not put a "flat tappet" camshaft and lifters in a 454 since 1970 for sure and possibly 1971

No, what is being discussed is that with the Vortec engines, GM started using roller cam followers (ride on cam and push the push rod).

Prior to that it the cam followers had no bearings, so a flat piece of metal on the cam follower rode on the cam. More friction, more wear and more need for a quality oil additive.

Brett Wolfe
2003 Alpine 38'

FMCA Forum: www.community.fmca.com/index

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Sully2

Cincinnati

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/12 05:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Brian in Michigan wrote:

Ok the great debate still goes on. I have a "90" 454. I started using Mobil 1 at 15k miles it now has 42k. Typically I change it once a year whether it needs it or not. Now I am assuming I have a flat tappet engine and from viewing other debates it seems like using 15-W40 Delo seems to be the oil of choice for this engine. Other than money, am I further ahead to use Delo or should I stick with Mobil 1 10-W30?. I use no oil between changes and it stays fairly golden for the first 2000 miles. Now with this being said, last year I lost the back end of a oil pressure switch and lost 6 out of the 7.5 quarts of oil before I got it shut down. As of right now I have put about 2500 miles on the engine with no issues. ( no oil usage no knocking ) So, Delo or Mobil 1?

Engines with flat tappet cams cranking LOTS MORE horsepower than your engine can even dream of...ran 10W-30 and 10W-40 oil for decades without problems....but for some reason you think YOU need 15W-40..????

2000 Country Coach Allure; Cummins ISC 330 HP; 71/2 - 8 MPG regardless
2002 Jeep Liberty

Sully2

Cincinnati

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/12 05:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gale Hawkins wrote:

I have yet to find any evidence that synthetic engine oil adds any functional engine life over any dino that meets min OEM specs.

As has been mentioned. Motor oil is basically an emotional issue these days based on a lot of hype from a few sources.

It is like tires. Is a tire rated to carry 3,000 pound load at 35 PSI vs. 2,800 pound load at 35 PSI any better when carrying a 1500 pound load?

If thats true...then you havent looked very hard. Its not a question of DOES IT add anything....the question should be DO YOU NEED what it adds? If your working that same engine in something like a fire engine...or an over the road tractor..you might very well be able to use a Syn to good effect......but to drive 5-6000 miles a year and change oil and filter every year....I doubt you would see any benefit!

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/12 08:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Brian,

I don't recall when the break in truck BB was. But, that could still be a carbureted flat tappet motor. As broken in as it is, the ZDDP is less critical than it would be new, but I still like it. So, I run Mobil1 20-50 in my 73-455. That is an oil that is made for old non-catalyst engines. It has 1500ppm zinc. I do not need or want the 20-50, but it comes with the zinc.

Matt Also SE MI. A refugee from the auto biz

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dog going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Daveinet

il

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/12 11:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Stick with zinc, or add it in as an additive. You won't see the wear difference for a very long time, but it is there.
Just to give you some perspective, to manage the lower zinc level in the oils, new OEM engines have more than doubled the oil pan size. Zinc is consumed as the engine runs. So what ever zinc is in the oil when first changed, the percentage is less by the time the oil is changed. Having a larger pan, means the percentage does not decrease by as much, so by the time of the oil change interval, the percentage is still reasonable. Your old engine has a much smaller pan, so the percentage changes by a much greater amount. If the engine manufacturers are addressing this, then it really shows the importance of the zinc percentage in the oil.

Dave

The Flying Fortress
FMCA F298817
'83 Revcon Prince 31' FWD
502 w/Howell/GM 16197427 ECM/Edelbrock MPFI,Thorley's & Magnaflows,
4L85E 4 speed, KoniFSD,
6% grade = wanna drag?
MISC photos
Revconeers Forum

topflite51

In The Desert of Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/12 05:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I believe in doing all that I can to extend the life of the engine, IF and it is a big IF, if synthetic oil can help at all, then WHY NOT?

David
Just rolling along enjoying life
w/F53 Southwind towing a 87 Samurai or 01 Grand Vitara looking to fish
Simply Despicable
Any errors are a result of CRS.

Gale Hawkins

Murray, KY

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/12 06:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I moved to WM full Synthetic I think it was only about a $1 per quart more than dino which was the main driver of leaving dino then came along the diesel engines.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Engine oil
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS