|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Engine oil

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
Brian in Michigan

S.E. Mi.

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/12 04:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok the great debate still goes on. I have a "90" 454. I started using Mobil 1 at 15k miles it now has 42k. Typically I change it once a year whether it needs it or not. Now I am assuming I have a flat tappet engine and from viewing other debates it seems like using 15-W40 Delo seems to be the oil of choice for this engine. Other than money, am I further ahead to use Delo or should I stick with Mobil 1 10-W30?. I use no oil between changes and it stays fairly golden for the first 2000 miles. Now with this being said, last year I lost the back end of a oil pressure switch and lost 6 out of the 7.5 quarts of oil before I got it shut down. As of right now I have put about 2500 miles on the engine with no issues. ( no oil usage no knocking ) So, Delo or Mobil 1?

1990 GEORGIE BOY 28' 454 4BBL, TURBO 400 TRANS, Thorley Headers B&M trans cooler. Auto meter hooked to output of trans. Flowmaster mufflers recurved distributor Still Keepin on Truckin((((Was 7.5mpg Now 8.75mpg ))))

SeaDog/BRR

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/12 04:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think you have answered your own question X amount of miles with no problems mobile 1

Greg aka SeaDog
96 Winnebago Adventurer 34RQ W/SO
Harley Ultra Classic 64 corvette

Gale Hawkins

Murray, KY

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/12 04:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since we have 3 HP and up engines and both gas and diesel we moved to 5W-40 Rotella. I like for our air cooled generators too but mainly wanted higher zinc that the 10W-30 WM full synthetic that I was running in the 1992 454 TBI.

How did you catch you were pumping out all of your engine oil?

Brian in Michigan

S.E. Mi.

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/12 05:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gale Hawkins wrote:

Since we have 3 HP and up engines and both gas and diesel we moved to 5W-40 Rotella. I like for our air cooled generators too but mainly wanted higher zinc that the 10W-30 WM full synthetic that I was running in the 1992 454 TBI.

How did you catch you were pumping out all of your engine oil?

When the lifters were clattering and the wife was driving. I've have the story on here from a year ago. That was not the only problem that cropped up that weekend....
Click

03 RoadKing

Summerfield NC 27358

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/12 07:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If Mobile 1 ahs been working well for you why change?

Jim and Deb
The Furchildren Abby and Baylee
USAF Retired
2001 Newmar Mountain Aire

crasster

Dallas

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/12 07:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't really think there is a debate... Or at least a micro debate. It's a picky picky "my oil is better than yours" type of debate.

I've put hundreds of thousands of miles on a camaro with nothing but Pennzoil.
Hundreds of thousands of miles with Mobil 1 full synth
Hundreds of thousands of miles on Oreilly generic.
Hundreds of thousands of miles on Supertec oil from Chinamart.

You know what I found out, they all worked, and my engines never croaked. Imagine that.

I really believe the argument people have with oils is they want to talk micro percentages. Like I said, 81 Camaro with 350k miles (I had since it had 30k) and I used nothing but pennzoil and orange can fram filters that people rag on all the time. I ended up getting rid of it for "other than" engine trouble. (Really it was just rusting through but lots of little things needed fixing and I had a great offer on it).

Anyway, just throwing out my opinion on the oil subject between brands.

My TRUE comment is, JUST BE SURE TO CHANGE your oil and filter every so often (some say 3k some say 5k, I say in between).

4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

Dutch_12078

Great Sacandaga Lake, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/12 07:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm running Mobil 1 High Mileage formula in my Ford 460. It has a higher zinc content than the regular Mobil 1.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Gale Hawkins

Murray, KY

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/12 08:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have yet to find any evidence that synthetic engine oil adds any functional engine life over any dino that meets min OEM specs.

As has been mentioned. Motor oil is basically an emotional issue these days based on a lot of hype from a few sources.

It is like tires. Is a tire rated to carry 3,000 pound load at 35 PSI vs. 2,800 pound load at 35 PSI any better when carrying a 1500 pound load?

Dale.Traveling

Newport News, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/12 09:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Stick with the Mobile 1 but I would start getting a sample of the used oil anaylised. The report may tell you what you are looking for.

2006 Hurricane 31D aka 'Moby' the Whale
FCC(SW) US Navy Retired 1980-2003
Stella my Navigator
Bogart the All American RV Dog
and
Cocoui waiting for me at the Rainbow Bridge

sc3283

St Louis

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/12 09:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

you do not have a flat tappet cam & lifters. They are hydraulic. So don't get in a big "zinc" worry.

chevy has not put a "flat tappet" camshaft and lifters in a 454 since 1970 for sure and possibly 1971

04 D-Max Crew Dually

96 Monaco Dynasty 36'

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Engine oil
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: