|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Florida Panhandle RV parks in the brunt of Debbie

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
gitane59

Ontario, Can

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/12 06:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wonder how Topsail, Carrabelle Beach Resort, Ho-Hum Park and the Apalachicola area are doing. The Panhandle is one of my favorite areas so far in my travels and I am hoping everything and everyone is well. We met some very nice folks at Ho-Hum in a tiny 14 ft trailer who full-timed and I hope they are OK.
We hope to return to the Panhandle this winter as well after touring Texas this fall.

2014 Landmark Savannah, Mor-Ryde IS with Dexter disc brakes, 17.5 wheels with Sumitomo skins,
2010 Ford F350 Lariat CC LB DRW 6.4L Diesel, Firestone Ride Rite Airbags

sher9570

NY/Fl

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/12 07:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My BIL lives on St. George Island but is in NC right now. He's going back to his house tomorrow to check for damage and clean up. There is no power right now and they don't know for sure when it will be back up.
The bridge was closed but is now open but you can only get on the island if you have a permit to be there.
Rte. 98 was flooded and I would imaging that Ho Hum has significant water damage.
We always stay up the road at Carrabelle Beach but they are on the north side of the road so a little higher up...but the storm surge is pretty devastating.
Neither web site has listed any info on their conditions.
I would hope that anyone camping at any of these parks, including the state park on St. George, would have evacuated by now.

Sher

Doug & Sher
2006 HR Presidential 34'
2001 Ford Excursion 7.3

Lucy-"Red Fox" Lab...8/7-'07
Bubba, Pom...4/1-2010
Zachery my best bud Pom-5/2-98 to 6/18-2011 RIP
Sofie 9/5-1996 to 9/22-2007 RIP

mdock2

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/12 07:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FYI

ESF 10 – Hazardous Material
o State Park Closures:
- Camping & day use both closed: St. George Island, Bald Point, Ochlocknee River, San Marcos, Torreya, Ellie Schiller Homosassa Springs

- Camping only closed: Big Lagoon, Blackwater River, Henderson Beach, Rocky Bayou, Topsail Hill, Grayton Beach, St. Andrews, St. Joseph

o Additional Closures: Big Bend Seagrasses Aquatic Preserve office, St Joe Bay State buffer Preserve, Apalachicola National Estuarine Research Reserve

Marty (KI4NAI)& Shirley
1998,38' DutchStar F/L Cat

MEMBERSHIPS
FMCA
Bits & Bytes,
Elks International (Webmaster)
FCCC
PPA (Life Member)
Moose
ARRL-ARES
National Park Travelers Club
Visited 158 National Parks
Places we've slept since 2007

More To See

San Diego Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/12 03:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Apalachicola being a favorite place of ours we've always wondered how that part of town along the river would fare in heavy weather. I seem to remember they expect about 4 to 6 feet as their high water - - if I remember that right. Though with 10 to 20 inches of rain coming down the river and storm surge being pushed ashore maybe I just wonder whether I've got that memory quite right.

That restaurant on the river almost seemed like maybe it was on some sort of a barge or something. There is almost a gang plank into it. But that's a real sketchy memory. Guess next time we are over through there I'll have to get some good notes. Or just dig out some old pictures maybe.

I would hope that barrier island out there would prevent too much of a storm surge from coming up into river. But I would not want to be anywhere near those campgrounds along the ocean with weather approaching. Even salt spray would likely come back to haunt you in the future.

Sometimes when traveling in those Gulf Coast states I wonder about how far inland they have those evacuation signs. Are they just to keep traffic moving or are they really in the danger zone? Maybe we ought to find out before heading into those areas again.

95 Winnebago Vectra 34 (P30/454)

mister_d

Southeast, MI - hardly qualified to be a

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/12 10:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We were forced to evacuate from Topsail on the 24th as a precaution. The area received nothing more than rain storms really. From what I understand, they would rather error on the safe side which made sense - it just stunk that we had to move on down the road.

Our Adventures
Me '77 DW '78
DD '04 DS '07
Yellowstone + more Trip Report
2011 F150 4x4 Ecoboost 6.5 SCREW 3.73 Max Tow
2011 Lacrosse 296BHS video tour
Hensley Arrow

sltrawick

Panama City, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/12 06:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mister_d wrote:

We were forced to evacuate from Topsail on the 24th as a precaution. The area received nothing more than rain storms really. From what I understand, they would rather error on the safe side which made sense - it just stunk that we had to move on down the road.

We were there as well and had to leave. However, since I live in Panama City, we just drove home and came back on Tuesday. The rest of the week was beautiful there. Nice breeze, water was great!

Sharon-ME
Cameron-DH
Bella-6-(Dachshund/Chihuahua Mix-Chiweenie)
Panama City, FL
FSU SEMINOLES

2006 Kodiak TT 27BH
2006 Ford F250 Truck

manley

Valdosta, GA

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/12 01:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are at Ho Hum this week, no damages here!

2010 Chevrolet Silverado Z-71 4X4
6.2L Vortec, 3.42, 6-speed Automatic, Hensley Arrow
2009 Keystone Cougar 29RLS

gitane59

Ontario, Can

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/04/12 04:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

manley wrote:

We are at Ho Hum this week, no damages here!

Good to hear that they suffered no damage. Hope you enjoy your stay there as much as we did.
Talk about a very relax couple weeks. It was wonderful.

lizzie

Unaka NC &Sopchoppy FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/04/12 06:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In reponse to your question about how far to evacuate. I was born in Panama City and lived there until I graduated high school. We evacuated to Dothan, AL when necessary. Trouble is Dothan usually got tornados and heavy rainfall if it was a bad storm. We had to leave because of high tide flooding the yard and making our well and septic tank unusable. We had power outages too but since we didn't have any a/c anyway it was no big deal.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Florida Panhandle RV parks in the brunt of Debbie
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS