|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska

> Planning trip across Canada and getting frustrated

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/12 06:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

Niagara Falls NY to Thunder Bay via Tobermory is 910 miles and will give you a ferry ride across the lake.

I do not understand "dog food issues".

Regards, Don
Full Time in a Kustom Koach Class C 28'5", 256 watts Unisolar, 875 amp hours in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, Magnum 3000 watt PSW inverter.

dkilley

Delta, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/12 06:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Horselady
I would not worry about the dog food issue entering Canada, when you return to the USA you might have some issues. The USA boarder was open to Beef and eggs a couple of weeks ago, but watch your fruits and vegetables going back into the USA. I agree with everyone. the trip is doable and would be enjoyable. Do your homework and enjoy the trip, it would be worth going to the Falls if you can swing it. If the weather is hot, you may have to use RV parks to run your A/C.

Safe Travels

New RV on the way....

Orion

Pacific South West

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/12 07:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

The kayaking that we do is mostly on calm waters and we do not have sea kayaks.

I'm not a Kayaker, but I would think that coastal BC and the eastern side of Vancouver Island has some of the best kayaking anywhere in the world. The ocean here is so sheltered that people often mistake it for a lake and unless ocean kayaks are built of different material, you would be able to use yours here.

I don't believe in astrology. I am a Gemini and
we're very skeptical.

horseylady

Cripple Creek, Virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/12 08:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Orion, Thank you! No, our kayaks are not made of different material, it is the style. They would be fine there. See, I knew we don't have enough time! I DO miss the West. I will sure remember this for another time if we don't make it this time. There is SO much I still want to do and not nearly enough time.

Pam and Bob
Boon (Jack Russell), Jezzie (Australian Shepherd)
2006 Dodge DRW Cummins 5.9
2012 Open Range 345rls fifth wheel 35'
RVing since 1973 but always learning

horseylady

Cripple Creek, Virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/12 07:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dog food issue is that coming back into U.S. from Canada (I think it was that direction when we went to Atlantic Canada) they want to make sure the dog food doesn't contain lamb--at least that's what it was then--and fortunately something had told me to save the bag so I was able to show them and they were fine with it. I have a dog that has to have special, very expensive, food so I don't want to be throwing it out because it's special order.

Another thing, unrelated, is that we were stopped going in through Calais, taken inside and interrogated in separate rooms. Turns out it was because we both had fingerprints on file--my husband's from being on a police dept. in the 60's for less than a year, and my most recent from being on a Sheriff's mounted search and rescue unit. Then, we went out to the truck and fifth wheel and were able to take our dogs out of the truck which they then searched. Then they searched the fifth wheel and we were not allowed to be in it during the search. Don't have ANY idea why all this other than it was a slow day. I've never even had as much as a driving ticket, no DUI's for either of us, no insurance problems, not even a bounced check! If they want to search you, they will, and for no reason that they will tell you--other than they did tell us about the fingerprinting. Sorry. I got off the subject.

SideHillSoup

South Eastern British Columbia

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/12 06:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just to comment on what "More To See" had said earlier:
Frank Slide isn't on the Trans Canada Hwy 1. Frank Slide is on Hwy 3 just inside Alberta from BC.

We traveled down from Sask into North Dakota on Hwy 85 straight down to I-90. What a beautiful drive when we got south of Williston ND. There was hardly any traffic and great roads with beautiful scenery .

Soup

* This post was edited 06/26/12 07:15am by SideHillSoup *

2014 Open Range LF318LS Light
2007 Sierra SLE, 2500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Transmission

Orion

Pacific South West

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/12 08:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm always a bit hit & miss with posting pictures here, but I'll see if this works.
This is the ocean at the bottom of our road.
Zoom across the prairies and spend some quality time in the mountains and islands of BC!

krev

Victoria, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/12 08:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Orion wrote:

This is the ocean at the bottom of our road.
Zoom across the prairies and spend some quality time in the mountains and islands of BC!

I agree with Orion, this is our ocean as well at the end of our road!! (we live two blocks apart!) I would travel through the US and see Montana, fuel way cheaper. Then head through the Canadian Rockies and come to the West Coast, then take the coast route to San Diego. That would be a great trip. And I think you have time.
Enjoy, but you really don't want to miss our part of the world

1 husband 2 grown kids
2010 F-350 Lariat King Ranch, CC, diesel, short box
2009 Arctic Fox 27T

sue.t

Ibex Valley, YUKON

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/12 09:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Regardless of how calm the water is when I head out, I go prepared for the conditions to change quickly. Would not head out into salt water without an open water kayak.

If your kayaks aren't ocean going kayaks, please don't venture onto tidal waters. B.C.'s larger lakes can also go from glass-like water to significant chop and wind in a matter of minutes. Paddle wisely!

sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

LastOfTheBohicans

Edmonton, Alberta, CAN

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/12 08:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

horseylady wrote:

Another thing, unrelated, is that we were stopped going in through Calais, taken inside and interrogated in separate rooms. Turns out it was because we both had fingerprints on file--my husband's from being on a police dept. in the 60's for less than a year, and my most recent from being on a Sheriff's mounted search and rescue unit. Then, we went out to the truck and fifth wheel and were able to take our dogs out of the truck which they then searched. Then they searched the fifth wheel and we were not allowed to be in it during the search. Don't have ANY idea why all this other than it was a slow day. I've never even had as much as a driving ticket, no DUI's for either of us, no insurance problems, not even a bounced check! If they want to search you, they will, and for no reason that they will tell you--other than they did tell us about the fingerprinting. Sorry. I got off the subject.

I also have fingerprints on file due to when I worked for Big Blue. It was a condition of employment. I get asked everytime if I have ever been fingerprinted. I respond "Yes, I have. It was required for my job." Sometimes they ask why, but lately they have been satisfied with that answer. Otherwise, I tell them that I had to have a certain security clearance as I did work with the Federal and Provincial governments.

Me, DW, Five Crazy Felines, One RB Angel
2011 Ford F350 SD, PSD 6.7, SRW, CC
2011 Komfort 3230FRK

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska

> Planning trip across Canada and getting frustrated
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts