|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Tranny Cooler

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
bartlettj

Forest Grove, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/27/12 02:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Given that your Avalanche is on the GMT800 platform, which is also what the Suburban, Tahoe, and Silverado are on, I think you should be able to adapt factory parts to it really easily even if the brackets aren't there. There should be some crossmembers behind your grille that you can mount the cooler to, that's how it is in my Tahoe. The transmission already has the lines running to the radiator, and it's definitely a good idea to have a cooler for towing. Make sure you use tow/haul mode if you have it, it knocks the transmission temperatures down a lot. A scangaugeII or similar tool to monitor the transmission oil temp is a really nice thing to have too.

Grodyman

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/12 04:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Agree, service tech is moron. Go to transmission shop or do it yourself. Dealer = Rip Off.

2011 F250 4x4 CC/SWB 6.2/3.73
2012 Sabre Silhouette 320fqds (sold)
2011 Lance 830/tent (sold)
2015.5 Rockwood MiniLite 2104S
Andersen Hitch

Stephensx04

Elgin, IL

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/12 08:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just got done mounting an auxiliary trans cooler. Still need to wire up the fan. This will far out cool any other trans cooler that you can mount on a truck. I mounted it on the skid plate and drilled holes in it to help move air through it. Also put steel mesh between it and the cooler to prevent rocks from damaging cooler. Will put it to the test this weekend.

Gascap

Severna Park, Md

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/12 06:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I also have a chevy avalanche. I think all of them have a built in tranny cooler in the radiator. You can also run an auxilary cooler before the built in cooler. The one that was recomended to me was this:
http://bmracing.com/?wpsc_product_category=hi-tek-automatic-transmission-cooling-system
With the fan it can be mounted anywhere and does not need to go in front of the radiator.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Tranny Cooler
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS