RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Roswell Bottomless Lakes S.P. lock you in, you can't get out

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Roswell Bottomless Lakes S.P. lock you in, you can't get out

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
NorthernLimits

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/12 10:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is the first I have ever seen of this. This park closes and locks some huge metal gates at 9pm. No one in, no one out. We don't get a key, there is no staff here, the campground host is not here, there is no phone number you can call.

We have been locked in before in places but always were given a key. I got thinking since I am traveling with the older Mother In Law this trip...what if i had an emergency or needed to get out?

And they don't open the gate until 9am. Not that it will mess with our travels because we can't seem to get on the road any earlier than 10 or 11 but this morning I was out there right at sun rise around 6:30 shooting pictures of the sun over the cliffs and hunting reptiles and there was a couple that had packed up early and pulled up the gate and couldn't leave.

Seems like a safety thing to me. There are no exits and it's a LONG walk to the main road.

SAR Tracker

SoCal

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/12 10:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Local sheriff and fire departments always have keys to get in, or let you out in an emergency.

Rusty & Cheryl
2011 F250 2WD 6.2L Gasser
2008 Weekend Warrior FB2100
"Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education" - Victor Hugo (1802-1885)

NorthernLimits

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/12 10:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't like feeling trapped. And we have to be back to the camper by 9pm or we can't get it. Well we can, but we have to park outside the park and walk about a half mile to the camper. No emergency runs to the store for milk or anything. Just bothers me.

trailernovice

Mission TX

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/12 10:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hmmmmm...that sounds kinda funny...at all the Texas state parks we've been at, it works like this--the gates are locked at 10:00 p.m., but they write the lock combination on the back of the vehicle permit...if we'll arrive after that time, we get the combination over the phone from the park staff before they leave at 5:00 p.m.

Glenn and Toni
2011 Palomino Puma 25BH
2012 Tundra double cab 4.6 V8 with tow package
Reese round bar w/d with sway control

NorthernLimits

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/12 11:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yea, have been in parks like that also. These are huge key locks.

My 10 year old said..."Well, we have a one ton dually and a snatch strap. I don't think that gate will stop us if we really wanted out."

LOL I think he has seen me pull out too many trees and posts on our property.

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/12 11:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IN many states this would not be legal but not sure about NM. Local emergency response people would HAVE to have a key and I believe THAT is true in all states. It would be reason enough for me to camp elswhere since those tire spikes are NOT an expensive thing to install and would solve the problem to everyones benefit.

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

bigdogger

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/12 11:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have actively avoided doing anything that would send me to prison all my life. No way would I voluntarily sign up to be locked in anywhere. It very much is a safety concern, not to mention a pain in the rear to be back at your rig by 9 and not be allowed to leave until 9 the next day. This park will never have the pleasure of my occupancy.

NorthernLimits

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/12 11:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bigdogger wrote:

I have actively avoided doing anything that would send me to prison all my life. No way would I voluntarily sign up to be locked in anywhere. It very much is a safety concern, not to mention a pain in the rear to be back at your rig by 9 and not be allowed to leave until 9 the next day. This park will never have the pleasure of my occupancy.

The couple this morning were from Texas and were all kinds of miffed off. I even heard the wife ask "Do we have bolt cutters?" LOL

Artum Snowbird

Campbell River, B.C., Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/12 11:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had the same thing happen in Dungeness Park in Washington State. We woke up at 3:00 in January to a raging snowstorm and broken tree branches from the 15 inches of snow that had fallen.

When we cleared the campground area we proceeded to the gate only to find it closed and it did not budge. I was desperate, and set to cleaning the gate around the hinges and tried to figure out how I might have to swing it to open it.

Finally I cleaned into the middle of the gate, it was awfully deep by then and dark and snowing like hell. I finally cleaned off the little sign that was completely covered and read it. "To open gate from inside, approach with vehicle to ten feet!" "Ack!!!" Back into the motorhome, drove it forward, and it electrically opened right in front of us from one side to the other!

Mike and Carole
2007 Snowbird 9'6" Super Slide Sold
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2000 F350 7.3 SC 4X4
previously 8'10" Snowbird Camper
2006 Triple E Regency 27 foot SXL SOLD!

mockturtle

WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/12 01:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Artum Snowbird wrote:

I had the same thing happen in Dungeness Park in Washington State. We woke up at 3:00 in January to a raging snowstorm and broken tree branches from the 15 inches of snow that had fallen.

When we cleared the campground area we proceeded to the gate only to find it closed and it did not budge. I was desperate, and set to cleaning the gate around the hinges and tried to figure out how I might have to swing it to open it.

Finally I cleaned into the middle of the gate, it was awfully deep by then and dark and snowing like hell. I finally cleaned off the little sign that was completely covered and read it. "To open gate from inside, approach with vehicle to ten feet!" "Ack!!!" Back into the motorhome, drove it forward, and it electrically opened right in front of us from one side to the other!
That's funny!

Reminds me a little of this situation: Bad winter morning

* This post was edited 06/26/12 02:31pm by mockturtle *

2015 Tiger Bengal TX
Chevy 3500HD, V8

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Roswell Bottomless Lakes S.P. lock you in, you can't get out
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes