RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RV Pet Stop: cat pees out of revenge?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> cat pees out of revenge?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
Uppercrust

Wisconsin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/12 01:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have 4 cats, one of them who is 8yrs. old has been peeing in the house once in awhile, he is fixed along with the other 3. There are 4 litter boxes, cleaned daily. This cat Clover usually enjoys peeing on my clothe and the dogs shirts. We have now put the dogs shirts in a closed box. He is healthy and nothing has changed. What can I do to stop this? I can not rehome since he only loves me & know one else. I give him extra attention than the other 3, and putting him to sleep I can not justify since he is healthy.

2012 F250 CC,FX4, Metallic blue/Silver
2012 Cruiser Patriot 345RF campers mom, dad
18 yr. old son
20 yr. old daughter
Diesel R.I.P.
Lady lab mix 16 R.I.P
Daisy beagle/collie
Misty shepard/husky
Camper's Have Smore Fun
14.5 Rallies
sleepovers 3

LastOfTheBohicans

Edmonton, Alberta, CAN

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/12 01:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oh yes the little buggars will pee out of revenge.

When I was travelling a lot with work, our oldest cat, Magoo, climbed into my not yet fully packed suitcase and peed. He was looking right at me when he did this.

He never did it again. So I know it was his way of showing displeasure.

Has anything else changed in the household? Does anything trigger in your mind what was going on in the house when he did pee?

Me, DW, Five Crazy Felines, One RB Angel
2011 Ford F350 SD, PSD 6.7, SRW, CC
2011 Komfort 3230FRK

lovetodrive

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/12 02:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a male cat that would pee outside of the litter box because he had an issue with crystals in his urine. It would cause pain and then he would associate that pain with the box and stopped using it. He was otherwise a healthy and neutered.

Joy

Henderson KY 42420

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/12 02:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know you said he is healthy but have you had him checked for a bladder infection, etc? Sometimes this will cause a cat to pee in inappropriate places. I would have that checked before I assume he is doing it deliberately.

See ya' down the road!

Don-SCPO USN Ret.Corpsman
Joy-Ret.Off.Mgr.
Maggie-Chihuahua
Chrissie-Chihuahua
Lucy-Jack/Rat
'06 42' Allegro Bus DP
'06 Saturn Vue

LIFE ISN'T ABOUT HOW TO SURVIVE THE STORM BUT HOW TO DANCE IN THE RAIN.

Pawz4me

North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/12 02:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Has he had blood work and a urinalysis done since the inappropriate peeing started? If not, you don't know that he's healthy.

You're one short on litterboxes -- the general rule is one per cat plus one more. The first thing I'd do is add another one. And how old are the boxes you're using? Over time they retain odors no matter how well you scoop and clean. Every few years it's a good idea to throw them out and buy new ones.

You might try some Cat Attract litter. It's a miracle for some cats. Just about any pet store should have some.

There are medications that can help with inappropriate elimination. If pilling is a problem, I believe some are available in transdermal form. Your vet can help you with those, of course.

As far as loving you and no one else -- I volunteer with a cat rescue. I've seen lots of scared, stressed and sometimes plain ornery cats come into the shelter. And almost every one of them comes around eventually and decides other people are okay, and sometimes even wonderful. Some take longer than others, but it's extremely rare for one to truly not like anyone but the original owner. Not that I'm advocating re-homing. Usually this is a problem that can be dealt with, it's just a matter of finding what works.

Me and the DH
Two boys and two dogs (and two cats who prefer to stay home)
2008 Forest River Georgetown 350DS (bunkhouse model)
2001 Honda CR-V

Code2High

One hour past Nowhere, CA

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/12 02:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Uppercrust wrote:

We have 4 cats, one of them who is 8yrs. old has been peeing in the house once in awhile, he is fixed along with the other 3. There are 4 litter boxes, cleaned daily. This cat Clover usually enjoys peeing on my clothe and the dogs shirts. We have now put the dogs shirts in a closed box. He is healthy and nothing has changed. What can I do to stop this? I can not rehome since he only loves me & know one else. I give him extra attention than the other 3, and putting him to sleep I can not justify since he is healthy.

Start with bloodwork and urinalysis, and a thorough exam by the vet.

When we get into putting human thought processes on animals, we miss the point of their actions, and that will prevent us from solving the problem the animal is having. By looking at things the way a cat does instead of the way a human does, we have a better chance of a positive outcome for all.

There are generally three categories of reasons that cats pee outside the box. One is that they don't want to pee inside the box for some reason. That can often be a medical problem, or a cleanliness problem, or a wrong litter or covered box or too many cats problem. Something about that box or the way the cat feels peeing in it has gone awry, and needs to be set straight and the fear or discomfort remedied.

The second is that they are marking elsewhere. No, cats do not pee out of "revenge." To a cat, urine is not a bad thing. They do not regard the smell of their own dry urine as offensive in the way that we do, so they don't do it to "destroy" something. It IS an identifying thing. So when they pee on something they're either saying "I'm here, this is my space" or "This is mine." Cats mark things in front of one another, so it is little wonder when this happens in front of a person.

Finally, there can be situations where they've lost the association with the box and peeing. That can have resulted from the first two, or from old age/dementia/never really getting it in the first place.

Whatever else might be going on, you need to rule out medical issues first. The reason they have to be ruled out is because you will get absolutely nowhere with behavioral approaches if your cat is experiencing pain when urinating, or a loss of control, or some other physical problem. So.... first check out the medical stuff, then we can get into the behavorial issues.

susan

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a wabbit, Fuzzy Wuzzy had a dandelion habit! RIP little Wuz... don't go far.

DOTLDaddy

Camp Canine, Ballwin, MO. U.S.A.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/12 03:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Although any medical issues have to be absolutely ruled out first, I think it is entirely within a cat's psyche to "pee out of revenge". I have seen cat's calculate and react to circumstances in a way that a dog would never "think" of. In a way, cats are more "human" in that respect than dogs are.

Walter & Garland - Camp Canine caretakers
Gen. Gretchen - 10 y.o. GSD - Special Forces/DOTL Cloudbusters
Miss Inga (aka "Shorty") - 1 y.o. old GSD. Still a civilian at this point.
Gen. Missy - GSD/Aussie - Joined DOTL Rainbow Division, June 11,2006

CA POPPY

Santa Clarita, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/12 04:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Famous cat pee stories from this very forum: We once had a cat (spayed female) that peed as if to mark territory like some dogs do. She had been dumped in the neighborhood and I might have a clue why. The very worst time was when she saturated a box of income tax receipts we were working on. The evidence is still in the garage, sealed up in a plastic bag. We gave her away to be an outside cat. That seemed better than some alternatives.

Judy & Bud (Judy usually the one talking here)
Darcy the Min Pin
2004 Pleasure-Way Excel TD
California poppies in the background

Code2High

One hour past Nowhere, CA

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/12 04:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DOTLDaddy wrote:

Although any medical issues have to be absolutely ruled out first, I think it is entirely within a cat's psyche to "pee out of revenge". I have seen cat's calculate and react to circumstances in a way that a dog would never "think" of. In a way, cats are more "human" in that respect than dogs are.

I have lived with cats for my entire life, including the nine months before I was born. As have all of my siblings... our parents had cats before they had children. I was raised by a calico cat. No, my mother would not be offended at that remark, although she'd add that other cats and the beagle helped. I have watched cats, worked with cats, trapped cats, and confined cats. Raised them by hand, trained them with clickers, taught them to pee in a toilet. Taken feral kittens in and socialized them. Syringe fed cats that were sick. Given enemas and sub-q fluids to cats. Wrestled with sick, unsocialized cats. Wrestled with healthy, social cats. Bathed cats. Worked with households of cats that don't get along. I've spent a lot of time with cats.

What I am telling you, after all of that experience, is that cats are a lot more about association and instinct than what you realize. They often give a strong impression of being very thoughtful, when they are not. They are just reacting in the way that their instinct and associations tell them to react. Humans add a lot of interpretation to that.

Once you let go of the idea that they are little humans with fur, and start to really work at learning what shapes their behavior, you get a very different understanding, and a lot of doors open up in terms of shaping behaviors. Some things are so simple you wouldn't believe it, but work incredibly well.

They do most assuredly pee when they are upset, but the act of "revenge" is something that requires an understanding beyond what a cat or dog has about property and value and how you and I feel about urine. It's a reaction, nothing more or less. Understand that it's a reaction, and you can find ways to change it.

Uppercrust

Wisconsin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/12 05:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

He does use the box so that is not the issue. I will call the vet, but I know it isn't a UTI or crystals. I have been through that with another cat & recently a dog. It usually is my clothe he likes to urinate on and it is not all the time. My husband is fed up with this, but as I stated I can not justify rehoming him. Thanks for all the help so far.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> cat pees out of revenge?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS