RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Routing cable from tailgater into coach?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Routing cable from tailgater into coach?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
SpurHntr

Northeast PA

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/12 09:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Got a great deal on a barely used tailgater sat antenna for my dish payg setup-my factory rooftop Kvh isn't worth it's weight in s#!£ IMO.

Looking for ideas how to best route the rg6 cable into my bulkhead av compartment over the drivers seat up front

Will likely run 2 lines, one from front and one from rear of coach to cover placement options outside, but wondering what is the best way to route the cable in and through to the av cabinet

Suggestions?

Tia

'08 Newmar Kountry Star 3916, 400ISL Cummins
'11 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
'13 F350 SRW Crew 8'bed 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
'05 Cedar Creek Silverback 33lbhts
Blue Ox, BB, PP TPMS, BB Buggy, Ranger EV
FMCA 427040

2ndhom

Eugene, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/12 09:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The overall length of new cables were run along the 40' frame held on with clamps. Not sure how they did it thru the bulkheads.

Passin Thru

N VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/12 09:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I you can get an opening inside I'd check and see if you have a place to drill a feed through. There are all kinds but basicall you just need a metal plate with a 2 PL connecters through and seal it with 25 yr rubber sealant. Put the seaalant on the back of the plate, install it and then seal the outside using masking tape to keep it withing 1/4 in of the plate and seal all screws by dipping them ing sealant and then sealing them outside. Thats how we do with airplanes. ut be careful you dont drill through wires and have enough edge distance around the plate. Take your time, mske it neat.
You can get on sites that show how RVs are built and it wil give you an idea whats in the wall.

Executive

California/Arizona/South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/12 09:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Three options:

Option 1: Use the existing campground pedestal cable connection in the lower bay, but you'll lose the cable feature.

Option 2: Run new coax along the frame rail, attaching it with clips to the front and run it up through your gennie compartment, up the facia alongside the windshield and up into the overhead compartment.

Option 3: Use the existing coax from your rooftop unit. Run the coax from that unit down through the refrigerator vent and into the side compartment where the fridge vent is. Hook the tailgater coax through that vent...Dennis

MY SENSE OF HUMOR IS THE MAIN REASON I'LL MOST LIKELY GO TO HELL !
Dennis and Debi Fifth Year Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

rvrepairnut

bc

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/12 10:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SpurHntr wrote:

Got a great deal on a barely used tailgater sat antenna for my dish payg setup-my factory rooftop Kvh isn't worth it's weight in s#!£ IMO.

Looking for ideas how to best route the rg6 cable into my bulkhead av compartment over the drivers seat up front

Will likely run 2 lines, one from front and one from rear of coach to cover placement options outside, but wondering what is the best way to route the cable in and through to the av cabinet

Suggestions?

Tia

use your existing cable from the factory.Buy a AB switch from best buy etc.Run CG Cable to A and tailgater To B side
Unless your trying to watch cable on one TV and sat on another at the same time this system will work perfectly

2inAlabama

Lake Whitney, TX

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/12 05:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On my coach, I was told the best and easiest would be between the roof and the ceiling.

Just DH & DW
Shopping for a Foretravel U320 42 ft

TechWriter

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/27/12 07:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SpurHntr wrote:

I ran dual RG6 from the propane tank basement cabinet up through the basement floor.

Depending on how your basement doors work, you may be able to run cable the length of the coach in the space behind the basement door hinges.

Be creative.

2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP
Full Timer since May 2013
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

rvrepairnut

bc

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/12 07:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2inAlabama wrote:

On my coach, I was told the best and easiest would be between the roof and the ceiling.

That would be almost impossible with all the electrical wiring,lites and AC ducting that is already in the roof
Like I said use the existing factory cable system with a A/B switch.cheap easy and simple

paulcardoza

Southeastern Massachusetts

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/12 07:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just use the park cable connection in the utility bin. You'll have to move some connections around in your AV cabinet, but it should work fine. We have DISH and I have the cabling wired so that when the DISH receiver is off and we're connected for CG Cable, the cable feeds right through just fine to the TV's.

Paul & Sandra
New Bedford, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

SpurHntr

Northeast PA

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/12 05:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the suggestions

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Routing cable from tailgater into coach?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS