|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

Open Roads Forum  >  Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

> Store bought boiled eggs - Really pretty good

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
BajaLinda

Full timing

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/28/12 12:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SWMO wrote:

I noticed the time also, the 12 minutes is generally given as the time for a soft egg?
The green is said to be from sulfur production from over cooking.
12 minutes will not produce a soft boiled egg. It will give you a tough rubbery egg. Very well done.

JRS & B

Florida/Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/12 12:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A three minute egg is really soft boiled. A six minute egg is medium soft boiled. But 12 minutes has to be hard boiled.

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/12 01:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SWMO wrote:

I noticed the time also, the 12 minutes is generally given as the time for a soft egg?

My mother used to boil the heck out of the eggs and they were always green, heck I thought all boiled eggs where green until I was 30!

Because I buy farm fresh organic eggs which are impossible to peel I actually watched an episode of Martha Stewart on how to boil eggs that were NOT green and easy to peel. The 'key' is that she 'takes them OFF the stove' to finish. I tried it and now I know boiled eggs have yellow yolks.

Here's Martha's Receipe:... for non-green easy peel eggs.
Ingredients:
12 large eggs, room temperature

Directions:
Place eggs in a large saucepan. Cover them with cool water by 1 inch. Slowly bring water to a boil over medium heat; when the water has reached a boil, cover and remove from heat. Let sit 12 minutes.

Transfer eggs to a colander; place under cool running water to stop the cooking. Eggs can be peeled and served immediately.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Go Dogs

South of Pittsburgh, PA

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/12 11:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had chickens. Gas will start to build as the egg ages. This gas helps to separate the shell from the egg after it's boiled. Thus, older eggs are easier to 'peel'. To properly boil eggs. Add eggs to cold water with a little vinegar. Bring to boil, boil 5 minutes, cover and remove from heat. Do something else and let the pot cool-nice yellow yolks.
That being said, if I was pinched for time- I would try the packaged ones. Cheap source of protein!

JRS & B

Florida/Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/12 12:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Checked out the price, package size and preservatives.

Meijer's in Michigan, Eggland 10 boiled eggs for $2.49.

The preservatives are citric acid and sodium benzonate (basically what's in all soft drinks like Pepsi and Dr. Pepper).

They are good for up to several weeks until the sealed package is opened. After opening the expected shelf life is seven days.

I don't think anyone will grow a second head from eating a few of these.

JRS & B

Florida/Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/12 01:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tried the YouTube trick.

It did not work for me, at all.

Adding baking soda seemed to help make the eggs peel much easier while they were still warm. The colder they got, the more the shell shrank up against the egg, and the worse they peeled.

I'd be interested if anyone else tried the YouTube method and had success.

Go Dogs

South of Pittsburgh, PA

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/12 02:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Egg shells are porous. If you add white vinegar to the water, it penetrates the shell and helps to firm up the proteins=easier to peel. Always use older eggs.

JRS & B

Florida/Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/12 03:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

YouTube technique

First Try - zero for six

Second Try - 3 for 6

I think maybe I was peeling back too much shell on the narrow end.

Go Dogs

South of Pittsburgh, PA

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/12 03:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another method: 8 raw chicken eggs, 1 cup water, metal trivet, canning rings to separate eggs. Place eggs on canning rings on trivet,add water-all of this in electric pressure cooker-give it 6 minutes on low pressure-natural release. This method will allow you to easily peel eggs of any age. HB eggs are great for a source of protein, pop out the yolks for low fat. BTW; Hens do not need a rooster in order to lay eggs. They do need one for fertile eggs.

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/12 08:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rockhillmanor wrote:

SWMO wrote:

My mother used to boil the heck out of the eggs and they were always green, heck I thought all boiled eggs where green until I was 30!

Because I buy farm fresh organic eggs which are impossible to peel I actually watched an episode of Martha Stewart on how to boil eggs that were NOT green and easy to peel. The 'key' is that she 'takes them OFF the stove' to finish. I tried it and now I know boiled eggs have yellow yolks.

Here's Martha's Receipe:... for non-green easy peel eggs.
Ingredients:
12 large eggs, room temperature

Directions:
Place eggs in a large saucepan. Cover them with cool water by 1 inch. Slowly bring water to a boil over medium heat; when the water has reached a boil, cover and remove from heat. Let sit 12 minutes.

Transfer eggs to a colander; place under cool running water to stop the cooking. Eggs can be peeled and served immediately.

Rockhill,
I've tried that method (bring to a boil, remove from heat and let sit) and it seems to work, but I found the eggs don't always peel easily. My dad used to tell me, as others said, that fresh eggs are hard to peel so he would always let the eggs sit about a week before peeling. I've tried to youtube method I posted once and it seemed to work. Adding the baking soda changes the pH of the water and supposedly does something to make the eggs easier to peel.

2007 Tundra Crew Max
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Timbrens
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

> Store bought boiled eggs - Really pretty good
Search:   Advanced Search