RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: How does one actually buy a TT?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> How does one actually buy a TT?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/12 05:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There may be more dealers in your area then you think. I'm on the other side of the state and every 10-12th little town in my area has a dealer with new and used trailer on there lot. (I know you are not looking for used but by looking at used ones you are learning about new ones) Do some research and you might be surprised to find more dealers close to you then you thought. Then go look at trailers. Even if that dealer doesn't have the brand, make, and model of what your looking for. The more of them you look at the more you will learn what it is that you like and dislike. Then you can make a more informed decision.

And heck, you never know, you might just accidentally stumble upon the right one. I did.

K Charles

Connecticut

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/27/12 06:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We saw a floor plan we liked and the only dealer that had one in stock was 1000 miles away. We stopped one day passing when thru just to look at it. It looks good so we bought it traided ours in and a few hours later we were back on our way. I would always look before buying.

fla-gypsy

North Florida

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/12 06:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I bought my current trailer no dealer had the floorplan I wanted. I looked at plenty of the same brand and took the chance and ordered mine with the colors and such that SHE wanted. I have been completely satisfied with that purchase. It can work out but it is a risk.

This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

mosseater

Dillsburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/27/12 11:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Definately look at them first hand. They all for the most part use the same component parts, appliances, AC, heat, toilets. Not a whole lot of difference there. Seeing the layout in person and the details of the colors and fit and finish make all the difference, IMO. A major factor in which trailer we chose was based on noise levels inside the trailer. It was raining very hard the day we looked at our model and the other trailers we looked at were very noisy inside compared to ours. You won't get that out of a catalogue. It was a deal maker for sure given the comparison of the other features.

"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/12 06:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I got burned on an order in the fact that the decorative trim wallpaper strips (don't know what else to call it) didn't match. They had two color schemes for that model and they mixed it together on my unit. They said there was nothing they could do about it. I could take it the way it is or pick a different model and wait another so many months. They were not making this model anymore. That's why I will not order another unit.
We had a 'must have' list for our next unit. Something in my weight range that has a larger bathroom with a large corner shower, plenty of room around the toilet, a seperate bedroom with a real closet and dresser, big back window, duct AC, dinette table with chairs, ect. I was not brand specific. We walked through several. When we walked into this one and sat down we both said this is it. I told the dealer that this is an option but we wanted to go look elsewhere. I went home, found that model on the internet and determined what was the lowest asking price nationwide. Went back the next day and offered him that -$500. I just bought the Rolling Condo.
In the end I bought too much trailer for my truck. Maybe I'll get the third one right but I love this unit.

2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens, PullRite SuperGlide 2700 15K
2013 KZ Durango 1500 2857

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/12 07:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CavemanCharlie wrote:

(I know you are not looking for used but by looking at used ones you are learning about new ones)
Look at the used ones to detect the shortcomings of certain things such as what gets damaged or worned the most. Then you will know what on your new one needs protecting. I have found the floor at the entrance and in front of the sink take a beating. Plastic sinks are a no-no. Cheap laminate wood panels doesn't hold up, the lip around the pass through door gets banged up, etc. Find ways to protect it once you know what needs protecting.

APT

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/12 08:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Squonk61 wrote:

A dealer will be more motivated to sell something on the lot than order a new one. Too many stories on here about someone got a lemon that way, too.

Why? There is such minimal cost to order. No moving the trailer around the lot, showing it, floorplan. I'm sure a dealer would rather get rid of something on his lot first because it cost him more to keep it there and a sale today is better than a sale in 2 months. I would only buy off the lot if it came at a significant discount to ordering, which I have never seen. No random masses trampling through my TT.

All custom orders are not commitments to buy. One should always perform the PDI prior to signing the paperwork in case something is wrong with it to negotiate or let go, which goes for orders or on the lot sales.

A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2012 VW Passat TDI

Squonk61

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/12 07:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A dealer will be more motivated to sell something on the lot than order a new one. Too many stories on here about someone got a lemon that way, too.

I love my local dealer-about a mile away, which has been a wonderful in my teeny town in VT. I see him and his family a lot. They also have helped me with the most rudimentary of tasks and have done work other people would have charged for. One day while packing up and on my way to my first trip, I bent the front jack. He showed up at my house with a new one and replaced it-said, "have a great time!" and we settled up when I returned. Another time the fridge had to go in-so much easier to do when the dealership is just down the street.

In my mind, in this economy with so many family owned businesses shutting up shop by the big boys beating prices, I would rather pay a few extra bucks for service. In this case, I didn't-got an extremely fair price because it was a used unit on his lot. They are so patient and kind with me and I have learned so much from them. If you're new to TT, this forum is great, but somethings help to see in person (like winterizing the first time). Good luck on your hunt.

Lowsuv

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/12 12:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Buy your first trailer used.
Slightly smaller than what you think you need.
Most folks think their tow vehicle is better than it is.
Slightly older than what you think you need.
Do not overpay. Shop prices on the internet.
But shop the actual trailer you are buying in person.
Go camping.
Lots of proud old geezers will show you their trailer and its features.
Gain practical experience.
I do not believe that starting with no experience that your first trailer purchase will be your last.

Markiemark32

Atlanta

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/28/12 08:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

APT wrote:

Squonk61 wrote:

Why? There is such minimal cost to order. No moving the trailer around the lot, showing it, floorplan. I'm sure a dealer would rather get rid of something on his lot first because it cost him more to keep it there and a sale today is better than a sale in 2 months. I would only buy off the lot if it came at a significant discount to ordering, which I have never seen. No random masses trampling through my TT.

All custom orders are not commitments to buy. One should always perform the PDI prior to signing the paperwork in case something is wrong with it to negotiate or let go, which goes for orders or on the lot sales.

There is a BIG costs to a business sitting on inventory, BIG financial on ths books stuff.
Plus each day that goes by, that unit on the lot is getting older and we know how well some of these units hold up.

Squonk61, sounds like you have a true, excellent business man in your area. Customer service and building those lasting relationships, for repeat & loyal customers. Lots of opposite stories on this forum, such is life, only hearing the horror stories!

Markiemark

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> How does one actually buy a TT?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS