RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Can NADA be used for Roadtreks?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions

> Can NADA be used for Roadtreks?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Tandrup

San Francisco, CA

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/12 07:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi there,

In my search for a pre-owned Roadtrek RS Adventurous from 2007-2009 I have found a couple that looked interesting. After having read a lot of posts on this forum I started comparing the prices using NADA guide. As far as I can tell the NADA recommended pricing is significantly lower (typically 25%-30%) lower than what the RVs are listed at. Can someone help me with a perspective on what pricing I should trust? Is NADA too low - or is that really what I should target paying?

An example: I have found several RS Adventurous from 2007 with approx. 50,000 miles on them. According to NADA they should sell for ~$37k-$45k - but they are listed around $60k.

As always: thank you very much for your help.

Thanks,
Lars - San Francisco, CA
Hoping to own a Class B pretty soon...

Johnworth914

USA!

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/12 07:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's been my experience that NADA values for Class B's are not reliable. They always undervalue significantly. Class B's seem to be listed AND SELL for a premium over what the NADA says they are worth.

I have no idea why this is so, except perhaps supply and demand, but shoudn;t NADA take that into account in its valuations?

All that being said, I was fortunate enough to buy my 2003 Pleasureway Excel with 50k miles for NADA value from a car dealer who had little understanding of RVs--especially Class B.

A long search of the internet and dealers could not find a comp unit. for less than $8,000 more than I paid.

Alaska is next! Still trying to fit the pontoons to the RV so We can get to Hawaii!

n7bsn

Yes

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/12 07:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NADA is based on the reported sale price (at time of vehicle licensing).

Which implies that the asking prices you are seeing are well above the sales price.

2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

booster

Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/12 08:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had heard several places that for RVs, NADA doesn't have actual selling price data, and takes a fixed percent of the original MSRP to calculate the used price. Don't have a positive confirmation on that, however.

The other thing the happens very, very often, is that sellers misuse the NADA price calculator. For instance, any "standard" items should not be put in as an adder, even if listed in the list of adders, so you have to know what is was considered standard for the model and year you are looking at. Plus, as with later Roadtreks, there is a note that they include things like power sofa, aluminum wheels, and such in the base price, and not to add them in, even if they were options. However, you can still check them off and get them added to the price and printout, so most sellers do that to beef up the price. We got in some pretty good "discussions" with folks about that process, and would have to actually go onto the NADA site to prove the point. None, however would adjust their pricing because the knew someone else wouldn't know the how it supposed to be done.

Johnworth914

USA!

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/12 09:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

n7bsn wrote:

Which implies that the asking prices you are seeing are well above the sales price.

I do not believe that is the case for RVs. I also understand that it is based on a fixed depreciation formula off of MSRP

westernrvparkowner

montana

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/12 09:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Johnworth914 wrote:

n7bsn wrote:

I do not believe that is the case for RVs. I also understand that it is based on a fixed depreciation formula off of MSRP
correct. There are not enough transactions involving RVs to make a statistically accurate valuation.

Tandrup

San Francisco, CA

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/12 10:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

westernrvparkowner wrote:

Johnworth914 wrote:

n7bsn wrote:

correct. There are not enough transactions involving RVs to make a statistically accurate valuation.

Does anyone have any experience with buying pre-owned Roadtreks (or specifically the '07 or '08 RS Adventurous) compared to NADA values? Does 25-30% over NADA value seem reasonable based on what you have experienced?

Thanks again - I learned something new again today ;-)

PSW

Oklahoma City

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/27/12 04:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The old adage about real estate is location, location, location. For a Roadtrek or most any B it is condition, condition, condition. I think the posters above are correct: NADA values are based on a pricing matrix with a slight adjustment for mileage/"options". Again, mileage may or may not be a valide indicator of value.

Our RT has never spent a night outside except when we are on the road going to some adventure. It sleeps in a heated and airconditioned garage, thus protecting it from the elements including sun, dirt, freezing rain, heat, cold etc. Therefore, when we sell it (if ever) we will expect and receive some premium price from someone that appreciates condition and meticulous maintenance and care. Remember: buyers travel many miles and indeed across the country to buy what they want in these Bs, and the price increases of recent years in new Bs enhances the value of existing units.

Summary: a market value is what something can be sold for with a willing buyer and a willing seller. NADA indications can be a base guide, but that is about all IMO.

PSW
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular

lizzie

Unaka NC &Sopchoppy FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/27/12 07:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In response to your question, I don't think NADA is helpful for Roadtreks. I sold mine in January, had many inquiries from all over the country, sold it within two weeks, and got my price. The interested buyers were obviously well versed about Roadtreks and knew what they were looking for. I was upfront about my RT and we had good conversations. NADA value was never mentioned. lizzie

My Roadtrek

Tucson, AZ.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/27/12 07:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I sold mine in one day, and it was way over NADA. Like was already said, condition, is everything. A couple of members here have said they purchased their Class B's, which were in great condition, below NADA, so I guess it can be done. These days, anything is possible, but you will need to be ready to move quickly, and travel, because the good ones don't last long.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions

> Can NADA be used for Roadtreks?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS