|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> First Trip.....FIRE

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/27/12 11:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glad you got out of the situation without damage; lessons learned by all, we hope.

As for the kids pitching in (except for the melt-down 12 year old), you now know which ones can keep their cool in an emergency. Sadly, not all of us can do that. Knowing which ones you can count on is valuable information.

HappyTrails2U2

Tennessee is home but being held hostage in GA.

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/12 11:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thermocouple wrote:

Dont understand the need for beer on a camping trip. Ever.

Sounds like you'd be a laugh a minute to camp with.

2010 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8315BSS
2003 Chevy Silverado 1/2 Ton Extended Cab

RedRocket204

Colorado Front Range - Got MTB trail?

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/12 11:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow! Intense story and I agree it was a good read as sad as the situation was. Good thing it turned out for the better.

Moving to CO mountains in a couple of weeks. Here is going to be our permanent campfire from now on.

I love me some land yachting

thermocouple

Lehi, UT

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/12 11:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HappyTrails2U2 wrote:

thermocouple wrote:

Dont understand the need for beer on a camping trip. Ever.

Sounds like you'd be a laugh a minute to camp with.

I dont personally drink but I fully get that others enjoy it, and I actually do not have a problem with it at all. Was merely being sarcastic in response to the campfire comment.

SuperiorBound

MN

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/12 11:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I enjoy staring into a small campfire, listening to the crackle but not if it is tinder dry or the smoke is going to blow into someone elses campsite.

Glad all turned out and no one got hurt.

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/12 11:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SuperiorBound wrote:

I enjoy staring into a small campfire, listening to the crackle but not if it is tinder dry or the smoke is going to blow into someone elses campsite.

Glad all turned out and no one got hurt.

X2 If it's up to me I usually have a small fire going just for the sake of it. But, a lot of my friends seem to feel the need to have a raging inferno going.

The Car Doctor

Utah

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/12 01:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Scary. It sounds like the FD got there quick. What campground were you at? Any pictures?

1989 Ford F250 7.5L 4X4
2004 Nomad North Trail 2560
1981 17' Seaswirl 120HP OMC

thermocouple

Lehi, UT

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/12 01:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Car Doctor wrote:

Scary. It sounds like the FD got there quick. What campground were you at? Any pictures?

FD was on scene much more quickly than I thought they could have been. We were at Lakeside RV Park just outside of the Provo Marina, on Center Street. Very nice little private park, lots of grass and shade, decent little pool, great playground, steps from fishing the river, short walk to the lake.

Sorry I didnt get pics. Honestly the best pics would have been exactly during the time that I was scrambling to get hitched up, just in case the fire kept on coming.

cm

Dillon, CO USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/12 01:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will refrain from a big rant about campfires in these dry conditions.

We have fire bans in most of Colorado. No open flames allowed. No charcoal fires. RedRocket204 that fire device you show would be banned.

The District Attorney that serves Summit County has announced that anyone violating the fire ban will be ticketed if caught. And there will be no plea bargains. They will prosecute for the full penalty under the law.

Look up the Waldo Fire in Colorado Springs. It blew up yesterday and dozens of homes were destroyed just yesterday. Do you want to have that happen because someone "needed" to have their camp fire?

thermocouple

Lehi, UT

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/12 01:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cm wrote:

I will refrain from a big rant about campfires in these dry conditions.

We have fire bans in most of Colorado. No open flames allowed. No charcoal fires. RedRocket204 that fire device you show would be banned.

The District Attorney that serves Summit County has announced that anyone violating the fire ban will be ticketed if caught. And there will be no plea bargains. They will prosecute for the full penalty under the law.

Look up the Waldo Fire in Colorado Springs. It blew up yesterday and dozens of homes were destroyed just yesterday. Do you want to have that happen because someone "needed" to have their camp fire?

Small rant rather than a big one then? You make it sound like having a camp fire automatically equals death and destruction. Conditions are particularly bad in Colorado. Roger that, understood. Nobody was having an illegal fire in the RV park Friday night. Other fires were going without incident. I like to have a camp fire. If I go to a park or campground where fires are permitted, and I am in such a site, and there is no fire ban, chances are I will indeed be lighting a fire. Have been doing this my entire life, without killing anyone or destroying any property, as hard as that is to believe. I am originally from SoCal, and have had my own share of encounters with wildfire, and seen the destruction that was in many cases started by human carelessness. I personally know people who have lost everything. I still like to have a camp fire when I am camping, and I am capable of being responsible about it.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> First Trip.....FIRE
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS