RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: First Truck camper.....advice...

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> First Truck camper.....advice...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
skipbee

Glen Arm,Md. 21057 USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/27/12 03:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We havw traveled extensively with our SRW rig, with all of the amenities you are seeking. We do alot of over sand travel on Assateague Island, Maryland where duallys are banned. We have used Rickson 19,5" wheels and "H" rated tires for long distance travel and 16" stock alumium wheels and "E" Nitto Dune Grapplers for local and beach use with no problems. To date we have 88,000 miles covered from the Florida Keys to Alaska. Our Lance has been more than satisfactory.
With Rancho Adjustable shocks (Mandantory, I believe), air bags to raise to ride height and level side to side, and hi tech bump stops.

We have had no handling or white knuckie situations. Our water tanks are 40 gallons, we always carry 12/1 gallon jugs of well water from home or other reliable sources for drinking. For long stays (two weeks) on the beach at Assateague, I have a 40 gallon bladder to roof mount. Practically, 40 gallons is more than necessary, as you will load water when emptying the waste tanks. Check out our video on Youtube. Both Artic Fox and Host have many satisfied users. Which brand has the best local service for you would be a major factor IMHO, all brands require some annual upkeep, particulary on the caulking of the various seams. The selling dealer is usually the best place for warranty service, we have found. Good Luck!

* This post was edited 06/27/12 03:32pm by skipbee *

skipbee
2004 F350 Diesel CC SRW 19.5" Rickson W/T 4WD
2005 Lance 1121 well found.
12' Porta-Bote alongside
All that glisters is not gold. All who wander are not lost. See us on YouTube" Living the Lance Life" 3 of 4.

kerry4951

East Central Pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/12 03:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Butch50 wrote:

The AF 992 per AF is 3235# but then you have to add the mandatory 595# Value pack option to this weight. This is per their brochure. Download their online brochure and take a look at page 6 and you can see what is included in the Value Pack and you have to have it. This would put the 992 at 3830# before a generator, batteries, propane, water and any other options or your personnal items loaded into the camper. I know this is true as I had a 1140 a couple of years back. Great campers but very heavy, better have a dually if you are looking at the bigger ones.

This is true.......and most people never see the weight of the Value Pack that you have to have. An AF 992 wet and loaded will be atleast 4500 lbs. Showing the dry weight and then listing the value pack separately is "foggy" advertising in my opinion. If you have to have it, then it should be part of the upfront dry weight.

2009 Silverado 3500 dually D/A, Supersprings, Stable Loads, Bilsteins, Hellwig Sway Bar.
2010 Arctic Fox 1140 DB, 220 watts solar, custom 4 in 1 "U" shaped dinette/couch, baseboard and Cat 3 heat, 2nd dinette TV, cabover headboard storage, 65 TC mods

nwjetboat

Eugene, Or

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/12 04:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many fail to see the "Mandatory Value Package", that IMO is slight of hand advertising. My 2005 AF990s is about 3500 with batteries, propane and our kitchen utensils. We have most options except genny, but I carry a Honda 2000 in the gen compartment. This is before water/food and clothing for the weekend. The 992 is going to be heavier.
That said, we just returned from a 1500 mile trip to Hells Canyon and I never felt uncomfortable with the way the truck handled. You will have to do something about tires, and probably air bags/shocks. How much does your trailer weigh? I pull a zieman snowmobile trailer with 2 ATV's on it that weighs <2000lbs. No issues with the trailer either. I agree with your assessment on the water capacity, after a day on the ATV's, a shower is awful nice..

kerry4951 wrote:

Butch50 wrote:

The AF 992 per AF is 3235# but then you have to add the mandatory 595# Value pack option to this weight. This is per their brochure. Download their online brochure and take a look at page 6 and you can see what is included in the Value Pack and you have to have it. This would put the 992 at 3830# before a generator, batteries, propane, water and any other options or your personnal items loaded into the camper. I know this is true as I had a 1140 a couple of years back. Great campers but very heavy, better have a dually if you are looking at the bigger ones.

This is true.......and most people never see the weight of the Value Pack that you have to have. An AF 992 wet and loaded will be atleast 4500 lbs. Showing the dry weight and then listing the value pack separately is "foggy" advertising in my opinion. If you have to have it, then it should be part of the upfront dry weight.

2003 Dodge 2500 CTD Air Bags, Rancho9000s, Helwig swaybar, Nitto 285/17E
2005 AF990

17oaks

17 Oaks Ranch

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/12 05:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

skipbee wrote:

We havw traveled extensively with our SRW rig, with all of the amenities you are seeking. We do alot of over sand travel on Assateague Island, Maryland where duallys are banned. We have used Rickson 19,5" wheels and "H" rated tires for long distance travel and 16" stock alumium wheels and "E" Nitto Dune Grapplers for local and beach use with no problems. To date we have 88,000 miles covered from the Florida Keys to Alaska. Our Lance has been more than satisfactory.
With Rancho Adjustable shocks (Mandantory, I believe), air bags to raise to ride height and level side to side, and hi tech bump stops.

We have had no handling or white knuckie situations. Our water tanks are 40 gallons, we always carry 12/1 gallon jugs of well water from home or other reliable sources for drinking. For long stays (two weeks) on the beach at Assateague, I have a 40 gallon bladder to roof mount. Practically, 40 gallons is more than necessary, as you will load water when emptying the waste tanks. Check out our video on Youtube. Both Artic Fox and Host have many satisfied users. Which brand has the best local service for you would be a major factor IMHO, all brands require some annual upkeep, particulary on the caulking of the various seams. The selling dealer is usually the best place for warranty service, we have found. Good Luck!

I have tried to find the reasoning behind the dually ban but for the life of me cannot. Sounds like more GOVT acting stupid....

Don
17 Oaks Ranch, Texas
US Army (RET)
'11 F350 4x4, CC, LWB, DRW, Lariat
AF 1150, solar, satellite
Vietnam Combat Veteran

RamTC

NY

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/12 05:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Truck is a 2012 GMC 3500HD CC/LB 4x4"

Seems to be the most capable SRW truck you can buy today, beats both Ford and Ram in mfgr payload ratings. I'm considering that same truck to haul my AF990. I could keep the rear axle under the rear max 7050 lb rating. On a DRW now, but as a part time camper, a SRW would be a nice change after 15 yrs with a dually! Good luck.

Present - 14' Ram 3500 4X4 DRW CTD / 05' ARCTIC FOX 990
Past - 98' Ram 3500 4X4 DRW CTD / 99' LANCE 1110 / 04' ARCTIC FOX 990

jimh425

Western WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/12 05:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RamTC wrote:

Seems to be the most capable SRW truck you can buy today, beats both Ford and Ram in mfgr payload ratings.
It is almost equal to a Ford http://www.ford.com/trucks/superduty/specifications/payload/ although it is probably way over a Dodge rating.

'10 F450 Lariat CrewCab DRW, 6.4 PSD, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, Long Bed. '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

RamTC

NY

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/12 06:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 wrote:

RamTC wrote:

Seems to be the most capable SRW truck you can buy today, beats both Ford and Ram in mfgr payload ratings.
It is almost equal to a Ford http://www.ford.com/trucks/superduty/specifications/payload/ although it is probably way over a Dodge rating.

As soon as I start my F350 SRW CC 4X4 Gasser base build, the Ford payload drops to 3930 lbs with no options added, while the OPs GM in the same base configuration begins with a 4266 lb payload. Is the site incorrect?

17oaks

17 Oaks Ranch

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/12 07:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GMC: GVWR (lbs.) 10,500/2wd/SRW 10,800/4wd/SRW

Ford: GVWR (lbs) 9,900 - 11,500*/2wd/SRW 11,300/4wd/SRW

http://www.ford.com/trucks/superduty/specifications/view-all/

This is cab/bed dependent and not sure of GMC bed length, but Ford offers 5 bed lengths and 3 cab sizes, GMC does not appear to?

I priced one out as close as I could that is like my '12 F350:
2012 SIERRA 3500HD CREW CAB, LONG BOX DUAL REAR WHEEL DENALI 4WD$64,545

Mine was right at that with in a few hundred buck, but I have a lot more options that GMC does not appear to offer. FYI, GMC was in my mind my first choice, but I looked and looked in fact never found one at a dealer, all (new) were special order and not a single dealer was willing to discount....going along with the theory that if you are buying a truck at this level you are filling a NEED not a want.

RamTC

NY

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/12 07:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Truck is a 2012 GMC 3500HD CC/LB 4x4

The GM 3500 SRW's configured as the OP described have a 11,000 lb Gas & 11,600 lb Diesel GVWR. Either seem capable of hauling a mid size AF. I'm not suggesting that a Ford F350 SRW is not just as capable.

d3500ram

colorado

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/12 07:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RamTC wrote:

The GM 3500 SRW's as the OP described have a 11,000 lb Gas & 11,600 lb Diesel GVWR. Either seem capable of hauling a mid size AF.

Those are some nice numbers for a SRW truck!

Let me ask those members that know GM products better than me: what is the stock wheel tire combo is for this... A member mentioned that the factory wheels are similar in weights capacity as the 19.5's... has anyone seen a stamp on the wheel to confirm this? (I cannot find any data on my Dodge factory steel wheels.) Kudos to GM if they have this data on the product!

What is the load index for stock-from-dealer tires?

Heck... if all this is accurate I would investigate converting to Chev wheels next time I purchase tires (if the bolt pattern is the same???)

ON EDIT:

Saw where wintersun mention weight capacity at 3400# per tire...

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.
2008 NorthStar Arrow short bed.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> First Truck camper.....advice...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS